Hal Online Immigration Forms

Jacqueline

I filled out these for our party. And I followed the indtructions to print and sign. My question is, isnt HAL computerized like all the other lines ? Usually when I do online embarkarkation I dont need any paper. That is the whole point. That and the fact that the process should be speedier since all the paperwork is complete and its just a matter of *checking in*.

:)

Even though you filled out the forms on line and printed, they are in the computer system. But systems can break down and having the paperwork ready before you board the ship is a big help.

This past Feb 29 many of us spent hours getting on the Oosterdam as HAL's system hadn't been programmed to handle leap year. For the most part they just took the paper work. But getting the pictures taken for the ID cards was a real hassle.

:)

Thanks KK. It makes sense to have the printouts as a backup. But I am glad that at least this should be in all their systems. I have had unbelievably quick embarkations on all the other major cruiselines in recent years due in part to this online process. It makes such a difference.

I am still one of those who complete the paper Immigration Forms included in our document package. I always make sure they are completed and signed and dated before we arrive at the terminal but will continue to avoid putting our passports numbers, birth dates and all that info into a computer as long as I am able to. I know that any hacker who wants to find whatever he/she wants will do it, but at least I feel I "tried".

S7S I understand your hesitancy to provide these numbers for the computer system. But the fact is that even when you fax your form in ahead of time that information is still keyed into the HAL system. In theory, it could still be hacked. And although this does happen on (thankfully) rare occasion, firewalls and other safeguards keep getting better and better ... thus protecting that information from interlopers. While it may not be within the next few years, I forsee a time when the entire process will be handled electronically ... including booking confirmation with no paper cruise ticket. The airlines are having good luck in implementing this, and it seems like it would be a logical thing for cruise lines to adopt as well.

ANother reason to have the printed form, is that the immigration form requires a signature. I do not have the capability of doing that on the computer. The line goes very fast when you turn in the printed online immigration form.

We filled out the immigration forms online and printed them and signed as instructed. We don't have passports, so I left that section blank - we had our birth certificates in hand at check-in and the process went so smoothly and quickly that we were on board the ship literally within 15 minutes of arriving at the terminal. I don't know how much longer it would have taken had we not done the immigration forms online, but from our experience, I'd say it pays to do it that way.

I am still one of those who complete the paper Immigration Forms included in our document package. I always make sure they are completed and signed and dated before we arrive at the terminal but will continue to avoid putting our passports numbers, birth dates and all that info into a computer as long as I am able to.

I have several friends who feel the same way about buying stuff and providing credit card numbers over the internet.

My personal philosophy has always been that I stand a better chance of having my credit card number "hacked" if I use it in a store or to order something over the phone. I've used my credit card online a gazillion times and have never had a problem. Just look for that little lock icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen before keying in any confidential information. That "lock" indicates you are transmitting over a secure socket.

That security simply means that the computer automatically transmits your info to the credit card company and immediately after completing the transaction purges the info from their system.

I work for a large newspaper that uses credit cards for customer transactions routinely. We have certain reports that we print in our data center for accounts where the credit card number did not go through. The only info listed on those reports is the last four digits of the credit card number. The rest of the number is "X'd" out. I found out that the reason for this is that only the last four numbers are retained by the system ... for the purpose of "reminding" the customer as to which card he used.

I always feel safer using my card on the internet simply because no human eyes see it. Computers themselves don't steal and aren't motivated to. It's human beings we have to worry about.

Your personal information and passport numbers should also be transmitted over a secure socket. If they are, you have nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your cruise ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived