Opinions please. Land tour only or cruise also?

fun2travel

Would love some input. Husband and I are planning our Alaskan vacation for next summer. We want to do an independent motorhome trip lasting maybe

10-14 days starting in Anchorage, taking in the Kenai Pennisula, and going up to Denali, and don't know what else for sure yet.

My question is, would a cruise of the inner passage after this trip be a good addition, or should I just try and take the train down to that area, i.e. Skagway, Juneau, and rent a car. Can those areas be toured on own as well?

Or would the cruise experience be nice?

Thanks for anyone's input and ideas.

You can get to Skagway via roads, but you would have a LONG drive through interior Alaska, the Yukon, and British Columbia!!! You can't get to the other port towns of Juneau and Ketchikan except by boat or plane. So - you really need both a land trip and a cruise of some sort to see southeast Alaska.

You need to get a map. A one way cruise is a great add on to a land tour. Offers varied Alaska experiences. For clairfication- it's Inside Passage, not inner passage. If you have three weeks, it's ideal. :)

As for your routing, I would not drive to Skagway, too much so so scenery in my opinion especially on the Alcan.

Consider perhaps, a loop?? Anchorage, Fairbanks, Glennallen, Valdez, Ferry to Whittier (costly, but very worthwhile), then the Kenai Peninsula. Even with 14 days, plan carefully, factor in fully distances and time necessary for activities.

Thanks for the replys. Which cruiseline would offer the most bang for the buck? I am considering starting late May or Mid-August, with the land portion first. Each time of year seems to have it's drawbacks. One a clear favorite for you? What are the main attractions of Fairbanks and Glenallen?

My most traveled time is mid Aug- first week of Sept. Excellent wildlife opportunities, going in May is also great, but be aware of Denali Park shuttle availablity with Fish Creek starting June 1.

Glennallen isn't the destination for me, Copper Center and McCarthey/Kennicott is. :)

Fairbanks is loaded, request their visitor guide http://www.explorefairbanks.com

If I went in May, I would start last week in May, expecting to get to Denali June 1st or just after. Would the weather be better in May-early June on the average? The weather info suggests much more rain on the average in August. I do want to go when the crowds will be less, so chosing between these two lines.

I would love to go on a small ship, but can't justify that cost. Which cruise line do you recommend? Thanks!!!!!!!!

If I went in May, I would start last week in May, expecting to get to Denali June 1st or just after. Would the weather be better in May-early June on the average? The weather info suggests much more rain on the average in August. I do want to go when the crowds will be less, so chosing between these two lines.

I would love to go on a small ship, but can't justify that cost. Which cruise line do you recommend? Thanks!!!!!!!!

I've traveled Alaska mid late August most every year for over the last 10 years. I have never run into more than a day or two of rain. My trips are 2-3 weeks. There is no way to predict the weather. :) Go with the timeframe best for you and be well prepared for anything overall. Then it won't matter what the weather dishes out.

Would love some input. Husband and I are planning our Alaskan vacation for next summer. We want to do an independent motorhome trip lasting maybe

10-14 days starting in Anchorage, taking in the Kenai Pennisula, and going up to Denali, and don't know what else for sure yet.

My question is, would a cruise of the inner passage after this trip be a good addition, or should I just try and take the train down to that area, i.e. Skagway, Juneau, and rent a car. Can those areas be toured on own as well?

Or would the cruise experience be nice?

Thanks for anyone's input and ideas.

If it was me planning your vacation, and I know a lot on these boards will disagree with me, I would forget the cruise. We did something similar 6 years ago. Spent almost three weeks seeing the best Alaska had to offer. Got on the cruise out of Seward. It was a real let down. DH never got off the ship, except in Juneau to do a helicopter trip. He felt the ports were just too crowded, too touristy. I didn't see much that I had not already seen.

We go to Alaska at least once a year every year for fishing and our business (logistics/fish shipping). We have taken the Alaska ferry to SouthEast Alaska (same area as the cruise ships), we have done overnights in the Katmai (bear country), we have gone to Kodiak Island, we have been to Prudhoe and ANWR, Barrow, and spend a lot of time in the Kenai (Homer specifically). I always have more fun doing those things than I did on the cruise.

Thanks for your perspective greatam. I do wonder whether I want to cruise or not. (I do enjoy cruising though). I just mainly wondered if I would see something diffferent if I cruised down around the Inside Passage that I would not experience in our motorhome trip. Is the scenery similiar at the cruise ports to a trip to Kenai Pennisula, Denali, and Valdez? If I don't cruise I will just spend that extra week camping.

If it was me planning your vacation, and I know a lot on these boards will disagree with me, I would forget the cruise.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

can you say that on a cruise website? lol :D

Thanks for your perspective greatam. I do wonder whether I want to cruise or not. (I do enjoy cruising though). I just mainly wondered if I would see something diffferent if I cruised down around the Inside Passage that I would not experience in our motorhome trip. Is the scenery similiar at the cruise ports to a trip to Kenai Pennisula, Denali, and Valdez? If I don't cruise I will just spend that extra week camping.

For perspective, I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years back in the early 80's while stationed at Eielson AFB and travelled all around Alaska. Saw Denali National Park, drove the Denali Highway, spent time in Anchorage and surrounding areas, spent weeks out on a small rock at the end of the Aleutian Island chain (Shemya), drove the Haul Road up to the Brooks Range, drove the Alcan, and even spent time out in the hills around Delta Junction watching A-10s simulate attacks on tank columns. And didn't make it out to the Inside Passage area all the time I was living there. Just recently got back from an Alaska cruise of the Inside Passage and I was kicking myself the whole trip because it was so beautiful and I could have enjoyed it over and over again when living near there. Even if you can't afford a cruise line tour, at least research the ferry system to see if you can get the motor home on it and cruise that way. I regret not doing just that while I lived there.

Interior Alaska and Inside Passage, are COMPLETELY different. Nope, the scenery is not similar in my opinion. I have done more trips with out a cruise touring Alaska, more than enough to keep you busy. It will be a great benefit to have an extra week- depending on your priority. I am now up to about 3 weeks if I do both a cruise and land, just not worth it to me for any shorter trip. I see over and over, many people not allowing enough time and everything is a marathon and blurr. You could really route out a great itinerary interior Alaska with the extra time. :)

I'll start by saying I love to cruise...We went to Alaska for the first time this summer. We had a week pre-cruise...went from Anchorage to Fairbanks and worked our way back to Anchorage. Then on to Whittier for a 7 day Southbound Cruise. I loved both the interior land tour and the cruise. I think it was great for a first time visit. Once we were home I kept thinking that "next time" we would do only a land tour. There are so many places to see...(Thank you Budget Queen for sharing your vast knowlegde of this great state!!!) But then I still think of things that we didn't see/do on the cruise portion. I think I'll have to do both again. If you are travelling that far, might as well do it all !!! From my experience...you can't go wrong in Alaska. Keep reading these boards and you'll have lots of excellant advise.

• 2 years later...
For perspective, I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years back in the early 80's while stationed at Eielson AFB and travelled all around Alaska. Saw Denali National Park, drove the Denali Highway, spent time in Anchorage and surrounding areas, spent weeks out on a small rock at the end of the Aleutian Island chain (Shemya), drove the Haul Road up to the Brooks Range, drove the Alcan, and even spent time out in the hills around Delta Junction watching A-10s simulate attacks on tank columns.

Were you in the Air Force? I spent a total of a year at Shemya (from 1978 - 1980), working for a defense contractor.

Archived