****Live from the Grand Princess****

T&J

That's great news on the bath. I think your fellow Montrealers (Anne and Jean) may join us for our Ephesus excursion, and they are interested in doing a bath as well.

Can't wait to meet you!

-Ruth

No problem and that will be great if you have another couple join you as well to take in a full day....may even help on a discount on the Turkish baths!;)

Looking forward as well too meeting you all.

Tony and Javier

:cool: :eek: :cool:

The most funny and ridiculous thing we saw today was these 4 American tourists from the ship decked out in Canada wear t-shirts and hats and flags and talking with a heavy Jersey accent telling people they were from Canada!:confused: WOW...!

Do you think anyone noticed!!! :eek: :D

Do you think anyone noticed!!! :eek: :D

We certainly did as did others that are Canadians as us!:rolleyes: that's how overdone it was!:eek:

Tony and Javier

:cool:

Tony...can you get any idea what work is planned for Grand Princess when she goes into drydock later this year?

Ok just ran into Giancarlo the Staff First Purser and he has told me the following regarding the drydock for the Grand Princess.

The Keel will be completely scrapped from front to back.

Also major plumbing and electrical issues and repairs are to happen as well.

Also, pax areas are going to be completely spruced up not just removing old carpeting.

Also, I was surprise to learn as the new linens for the Suites and Mini-Suites were already upgraded, Princess is alo going to upgrade all cabins on all ships as the new linens arrive and will be phased in over the next several months....wow that's a nice plus!

That's what I have heard so far..will keep you posted if I hear more!

Tony

You do us a real service by posting this information on your cruise. Certainly helps us look forward to ours.

Thanks so much.

My pleasure if I can help!

Tony

We are just leaving Istanbul right now as I type and the Captian has just finished his annoucements.

Tonights run down is the following:

In Concert the Polinia String quartet in the Princess Theatre

Tuesday Night at the Movies..."Rent"

M.U.T.S. Eight Below

Wheelhouse Bar Music by resident Musicians.

Explorers Lounge ...Los Paisanos

Promenade Lounge Rsident Musicians

Skywalkers NightClub Tropical Party Continues

There is also a Mediterranean Island Night Deck Party from 9:30pm until late the fun starts at 10:15pm.

Tony

OK going now to get ready for dinner and shower since we have decided to change our dinner hour to 7:00pm instead.

Also FYI, I have never heard or seen a "celebrity" onboard a Princess ship before...Billy Jean King and her partner are currently travelling onboard with us and not under an "Alias" either!

Tony and Javier

Thanks, Tony. I'm eager to see the changes when we go back to the Grand in December.

We should be able to give you a good report of the before and after on the Grand. Will be cruising on the last one prior to dry dock, Oct 7-19 and then rejoin the ship after dry dock for the Trans-Atlantic on Nov 1st. So, I'll plan on Posting something about the changes that we see.

Curt :)

Thanks, Tony. I'm eager to see the changes when we go back to the Grand in December.

No prob...let us know when you board in December if all these changes were implemented.

Tony

I do hope you mean that the hull will be scraped, rather than scrapped.

Scrapping the hull would be rather expensive, time consuming, and presumably quite wasteful.

Keep your posts coming - they are quite informative.

I do hope you mean that the hull will be scraped, rather than scrapped.

Scrapping the hull would be rather expensive, time consuming, and presumably quite wasteful.

Keep your posts coming - they are quite informative.

OOOOPS! Yes scraped!

Tony

We should be able to give you a good report of the before and after on the Grand. Will be cruising on the last one prior to dry dock, Oct 7-19 and then rejoin the ship after dry dock for the Trans-Atlantic on Nov 1st. So, I'll plan on Posting something about the changes that we see.

Curt :)

That would be great as well to hear on what you have observed while onboard.

Tony

Tony, thanks for posting about the upgrades to the linens occuring for all ships in all cabin categories. That is good news. I was wondering when and if that was going to happen considering the Crown has the upgraded linens in all cabins, not only the suites and minis.

Tony and Javier:

Enjoy your live reviews - I did the Grand when she first came out and LOVED her. I cannot believe the awesome cruises you guys are going on.

I am so jealous...I am assuming you guys are retired. I just hope I can do the same. Good for you guys you are enjoying LIFE the right way.

I wish you nothing but great cruise days....I was just jealous to see all the cruises you have planned. Keep them coming. Hope you guys have fun and HAPPY 6th Anniversary.

Dave from outside Manhattan.

I'm sure Tony won't mind if I answer for him, but "Veuve" is Veuve Cliquot, a very nice French champagne. Not Californian, but nice anyway. ;)

Jim

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Jim. Sorry, Tony, I am so embarassed as you have mentioned in several posts that it is your favourite champagne. My only excuse is that it was close to midnight when I read it and the brain was already going to sleep.

Hey Tony!

First of all, this has been the BEST "Live from....." thread I have ever read! So full of info, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we almost feel like we are there with you!!!

Two more questions for you when you have a moment:

1. You've piqued my interest for "Veuve" vs the bottle of Dom Perignon we planned on. What is the difference cost-wise, and why is Veuve your favourite?

2. Knock-offs in Kusadasi. NO, I do not expect you to shop for them. But, if any "high quality" knock offs catch your eye, would you make a note of where the vendor is in the Bazaar and let me know? I've promised my DD an LV bag (needless to say, of the "Bazaar quality"), but would like to get the best junk rather than the crappy junk:rolleyes:

Again, huge thanks in advance!

I'm going to second Arlene's question about the mattresses Tony. There's a thread on the Princess board about just that, and they'd love to hear anything you know, I'm sure.

There was no mention of replacing the mattresses in my conversation but I will bring that up at the Most Travelled Luncheon on Friday as one of teh questions.

Tony and Javier

Hey Tony!

First of all' date=' this has been the BEST "Live from....." thread I have ever read! So full of info, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we almost feel like we are there with you!!!

Two more questions for you when you have a moment:

1. You've piqued my interest for "Veuve" vs the bottle of Dom Perignon we planned on. What is the difference cost-wise, and why is Veuve your favourite?

2. Knock-offs in Kusadasi. NO, I do not expect you to shop for them. But, if any "high quality" knock offs catch your eye, would you make a note of where the vendor is in the Bazaar and let me know? I've promised my DD an LV bag (needless to say, of the "Bazaar quality"), but would like to get the best junk rather than the crappy junk:rolleyes:

Again, huge thanks in advance![/quote']

Cost wise Veuve Cliquot is $50.00 per bottle and Dom is currently $115.00 but is scheduled to go up on the next cruise to $165.00 or $135.00 for pre-order. Also there is a new wine list and drink list that is coming out fleet wide this month. It's starts on the Grand next cruise.

Why do I prefer Veuve? Two reasons: 1. I am cheap and can't see myself spending that kind of $$$$ on Champagne even on my biggests wins in the "office" and secondly for the $$$ Veuve is an excellent dry tasting Champagne IMHO which is just as good as Dom Perignon.

As for the knock offs I do shop for people always back home when I am on a trip. So in Kusadasi I will let you know as well where you can find them. I can tell in the Grand Bazzar in Istanbul yesterday they were all over the place and the quality was not bad either.

Thanks for the compliment about my "Live from..."

Tony and Javier

Tony and Javier:

Enjoy your live reviews - I did the Grand when she first came out and LOVED her. I cannot believe the awesome cruises you guys are going on.

I am so jealous...I am assuming you guys are retired. I just hope I can do the same. Good for you guys you are enjoying LIFE the right way.

I wish you nothing but great cruise days....I was just jealous to see all the cruises you have planned. Keep them coming. Hope you guys have fun and HAPPY 6th Anniversary.

Dave from outside Manhattan.

Semi retired here!... or as some on here say...right Arlene?

We are enjoying our cruise very much on this ship as the service we are receiving is outstanding so far.

Tony and Javier

Why do I prefer Veuve? Two reasons: 1. I am cheap and can't see myself spending that kind of $$$$ on Champagne even on my biggests wins in the "office" and secondly for the $$$ Veuve is an excellent dry tasting Champagne IMHO which is just as good as Dom Perignon.

hahaha.. now.. tony.. you don't even come close to cheap. I went into the red dot today and wondered out loud to my son what the odds were I'd find a half bottle of strawberry flavored champagne on the other side. my daughter and her boyfriend are cruising end of the month and they're not big or sophisticated drinkers.. I would like to gift them some champagne for sail away but.. they're not likely to finish a glass, much less a bottle, of dry stuff.. they might finish a glass of asti.. they probably would actually drink a half bottle of the cheap strawberry stuff. :) anyway, everybody who overheard me wondering that out loud laughed. :(

anno (cheaper than tony)

Archived