****Live from the Grand Princess****

T&J

Have fun checking out Marseilles. Never been there. All other med cruises stopped in the nothing port of Le Havre. Do they have a Starbucks? :rolleyes:

Arlene

Have stopped before in Le Havre, Cannes and Monte Carlo but Marseille was new for me on a cruise as a port call.

no Starbucks that I saw but I did stop at Cafe des Etolies on Quai de La Rive Neuve (main drag around the marina) for a couple of espressos this morning.

Tony and Javier

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Hi Tony,

Will be following your progress and looking forward to reading your comments. We will be spending 36 days on the Grand in October and November. Hope you have a great trip.

Curt :)

Curt Javier and I are spending 25 days on the Grand this August and it looks to very promising thus far from our 2 days onboard. The service and the ship is pretty good and pax areas aren't too badly worn.

Tony and Javier

This morning we disembarked at 9:00am and took a shuttle into Marseille. the shuttle that Princess provides is $5.00 per person roundtrip which is very reasonable and takes approx. 5-7 minutes to make it in. As we drove into town the Oceana Insignia was docked much closer beside town...one advantage for those booked on the royal next year you will be docking within walking distance to the port.

The queue for the shuttle service was very quick and was running every 20 minutes in either direction. We arrived into town (Vieux Port) and started walking around the marina where there were 30 and 40 million dollars yatchs parked all over the place with full crew onboard and no owners...jut simply moored here for the season...nice!

Marseille is very easy to do on your own and I would recommend doing so as well if you like to walk. It was well over 90F but a dry heat and make sure to put plenty of sunblock and carry water as it is very expensive to purchase in the local shops. The shuttle drops you off in front of the Dolphin Bleu restaurant and runs every 20 minutes on the Quai de Rive Neuve. We walked around the marina and went up to the "Fort St-Nicholas" which has 250 cobble stone steps to make it up the hill. Javier and Sharon were determined to do it and convinced me as well as the view was suppose to be amazing from up there adn you could see the entire city. All of which was true but don't climb it at twelve noon as we did in the blistering heat...I especially loved the treak down the hill:)

We then went to the Hotel de Ville (City Hall), and Musee de la Marine (Maritime Museum), Musee du Vieux Marseille, Jardins des Vestiges (Roman Town Ruins) Fort d' Entrecasteaux (another Fort with more steps). There are plenty of tourist information kiosk in case you get lost or need additional information.

I found the French to be very polite and helpfull although I do speak french since we live in Montreal, Quebec which helps. We ended up taking a shuttle bus back after 2:00pm and had a lte light lunch in the Horizon Court. Javier and Sharon are by the pool enjoying a swim now and watching the M.U.T.S. (they are hooked on MUTS now and our schedule revolves around MUTS).

We will be sailing for Livorno at 6:00pm and arrive tomorrow morning at 7:00am. We have a car rented and a driving to Pisa and Florence and hopfully a winery on the way back for a quick stop.

Tonight the Sentinel is being shown on the MUTS at 8:00pm and 10:30pm...so for sure they will want to go and hopefully I can go to the "office".

More to come later tonight from the Grand Princess in the Med.

Tony and Javier

I was just notified by the Captain Circle hostess that I am second most travelled pax on this voyage....rats they won't give me Veuve now for sure if I am second place...will be that flat ginger ale knockoff stuff!...yuk!....Oh we'll maybe I can use it for mimosa's at some point on the cruise.

Also the most travelled luncheon is the last sea day before we arrive in Venice and we made the cut off and they've also allowed our friend to attend as well as Javier...that was nice of them.

I also got the strangest phone call this afternoon from some man speaking some kind of mixed english asking me when we wanted our Champagne Balcony Breakfast for our anniversary?....of course I was caught off guard answered quickly at "8:00am on the first sea day August 13th Sunday"....let's see if it arrives because God knows we didn't order it although our "6th year anniversary" is towards the end of August but there's no way he would first think of doing this, second remember it is our 6th and thirdly pay for it 'cause he's cheaper than ME!....

Stay tuned!

Tony and Javier

Hi Tony,

Looks like you are off to a rousing start. Hope the Med and the Grand are ready for you;) !

Quick question: Who is the current cruise director? And if you could find out if he/she will still be on board come Oct?

Thanks and happy early anni!

Cindy

Marseille is very easy to do on your own and I would recommend doing so as well if you like to walk. Tony and Javier

Did you enjoy Marseille? Others have suggested taking an excursion to get outside of town, but my wife and I enjoy walking and exploring, so your comments have me thinking that we would be better off staying in Marseilles for the day.

Any thoughts?

Did you enjoy Marseille? Others have suggested taking an excursion to get outside of town, but my wife and I enjoy walking and exploring, so your comments have me thinking that we would be better off staying in Marseilles for the day.

Any thoughts?

We did all enjoy Marseille immensely today and the weather was superb as well....I would stick in town if I were you as there is plenty to do.

We'll I am a big walker myself...so there was plenty to explore on your own and also to fill an entire day from 8:30am until 6:00pm. Also make sure to pack plenty of sun block as the sun was very intense today and many lobster people walking around the ship tonight including my little cherry tomato face!

A hot tip for Marseille....buy the Olive Oil Soap that they sell at the kiosk by the ships pier for $2.50 Euro...amazing price as back home the same soap sells for well over $10.00 a bar and it's amazing soap that doesn't dry your skin.

Tony and Javier

Thank you for your posts! I am going to the Med on the Grand in September and am sooooooo excited!

If there is anything further you would like to know just ask me.Tony and Javier

Went to Dinner and we have just finished at 10:00pm...long relaxing dinner I must say. Now going to the MUTS to see the Sentinel...which they both want to see and after if it's not too late I plan on hitting the "office" to put in some time. The sea tonight is very calm as most always in the Med and it is still quite warm outside. Tomorrow morning we are in Livorno at 7:00am and we are renting a car at 9:00am when Hertz opens. Should be interesting driving on the Autostrada up to Florence and Pisa and the Monte Carlo Wine region.More to follow tomorrow early morning from Livorno, Italy.Nite Nite folks!Tony and Javier

Hi Tony -

I am loving your posts. You guys seem like you are having a blast. Why don't you stay on the ship and come with us when we sail on 9/1???

I bet you would be a blast to hang out with!!!!

Lynn

Thank you SO MUCH for your posts! Very enjoyable. I hope you are spending the same amount of time enjoying yourself as what you are keeping us updated!

If you think of it would you be kind enough to provide an update on the entertainment on board (ie any comediens, piano bar talent, etc.).

Also, who is the current Captain and CD?

Thanks! I'm down to about a month until I am on board the Grand, and reading your posts just makes me all the more anxious!

So.........I read you first thing in the AM and last at night. Not a bad way to start and end my day. Milt is even sitting here reading about your escapades. I love the MUTS situation and the STEPS! :) Just finished a fabulous iced coffee, but alas, only from Dunkin Donuts. Thought of you of course. :D

Hi Javier; hi Sharon. Good nite.

Arlene

Tony, Not sure which of the Greek islands you will visit, but hte olive oil soap in Greece is about 1.50 euro a t most shops. I agree is is an amazing soap. Also, while you are in Florence (if this isn't too late) there is the Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, near the train station that has wonderful soaps and other items.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi Tony -

I am loving your posts. You guys seem like you are having a blast. Why don't you stay on the ship and come with us when we sail on 9/1???

I bet you would be a blast to hang out with!!!!

Lynn[/quo

Unfortunately we have to be back home to pick up "Shnookie and Minnie" our two dogs and also Javier has to be back at work and I am on the Pacific Princess Sept 16th in Bangkok.

I am sure you guys will have a blast of your own.

Tony and Javier

Thank you SO MUCH for your posts! Very enjoyable. I hope you are spending the same amount of time enjoying yourself as what you are keeping us updated!

If you think of it would you be kind enough to provide an update on the entertainment on board (ie any comediens' date=' piano bar talent, etc.).

Also, who is the current Captain and CD?

Thanks! I'm down to about a month until I am on board the Grand, and reading your posts just makes me all the more anxious![/quote']

So far for entertainment Javier and Sharon have done the Explorers Lounge and the piano bar across the lobby. They haven't taken in a show as of yet and neither have I...but truthfully I don't do shows that much or at all. I did ask someone next too me last night in the internet cafe her opinion on the shows thus far and the answer I got was..."they are OK!". There wasn't any new production thus far that stood out in the patter that I have noticed but will report back.

I'll get you the names of the CD and Captain as well for you later today.

Tony and Javier

Tony, Not sure which of the Greek islands you will visit, but hte olive oil soap in Greece is about 1.50 euro a t most shops. I agree is is an amazing soap. Also, while you are in Florence (if this isn't too late) there is the Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, near the train station that has wonderful soaps and other items.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the "hot tip" on the soap...we are in Livorno as of 15 minutes ago and renting a car in a couple of hours and driving to Florence.

Tony

Good Morning from Livorno, Italy. Weather is sunny and hot and a forecasted high of 95 today....Mummamia that's HOT!

We arrived here a little ahead of schedule and the ship was cleared at 6:50am. There is a shuttle running for those independant travellers todfay but from 9:00am. In fact from previous cruises here you can actually walk to the main square in Livorno and foresake the shuttle if you like to walk it's only about a 15 minute walk to the main square in town. Most things do not open until much later than 9:00am anyways.

We'll Javier is still in bed and I am going to run upstairs and be the alarm clock and muster the troops to breakfast. I got up this morning at 6:30am and went to the Horizon Court to get me two cups of "sludge" and brought it back down to the Library to post on CC this morning. I prefer using the internet terminals in the Library however if you need to print you need to use the internet cafe across the way.

P.S after the MUTS last night we all went to the Horizon Court for a snack and to grab some cookies and munchies for our road trip today.

More to come much later today from Livorno as we sail at 7:00pm and hopefully we don't get lost on our driving adventure into Pisa, Florence and elsewhere!

Tony and Javier

Hello Tony. We have group of 8 from California that will be sailing on the Golden Princess Rome-Venice on 9/23. I can't wait to read your upcoming posts... This will be my first trip to Europe!

I looked at your upcoming cruises and they are very impressive. Maybe I will get to do what you are doing over the next 20 years or so! I guess you are either independently wealthy or a lottery winner - and you don't need to tell me which one, because I am not a nosey person! I'm just really happy for you and I'm looking forward to reading your reviews.

Ciao!

Good

P.S after the MUTS last night we all went to the Horizon Court for a snack and to grab some cookies and munchies for our road trip today.

Tony and Javier

Cookies????? You actually got cookies? :eek: Have a great day in Italy where it's hotter than Florida.

Arlene

We just got back and came quickly to post while everything is fresh in my mind. We rented a car from Hertz for 23.00 Euros unlimited mileage and left the pier at 9:00am. We all were pretty much awake this morning and ready to go....even sleepy bones Javier!

We had a new Peugot 106 with electric doors that open and it was a diesel as well. We then took the car out from Stazionne Maritima and head on the Autostrade (high way) A12 to Empoli Ouvest and then took A429 into the back roads of Tuscany. It was amazing that we did not get lost once from the time we left the ship until we returned. I must warn you the drivers are Koo Koo here and very aggressive ...so you must be as well.

We had packed a lunch from the ships buffet the night before and created our own little picnic basket and picked up the wine along the way.

We decided instead of them wanting to go to Florence and Pisa (which they agreed they could see on the Discovery chanel) we opted to go to Tuscany wine country including the following towns Empoli, San Gimignano, Volterra and Cecina all of which we stopped at 5 different wineries along the way. We didn't have a designated driver but I stuck to the Whites instead of the Chiantis as they did. We first stopped at Casa Alla Madonna winery in San Gimignano. Tastes 4 different wines, olive oil and some biscotti as well and bought three bottles at 2.50 euro's each. All the wineries had extremely reasonable and cheaply priced wines. Harvest season is just upon them in early September so you can see the crop has matured and the wines are full of grapes.

We ended up taking the back roads from Cecina Mare (sea) to Livorno which took an additional 30 minutes more instead of the Autostrade or Superstrade which I would recommend since you do see the entire coastline coming back into Livorno.

We stopped again at many other wineries along the way. The weather wa hotter than hell 96F all afternoon and a light breeze constantly. It is a dry heat with no humidity at all.

We got back at 4:45pm and the ship sails at 7:00pm for Rome (Civitavecchia) were we arrive tomorrow morning at 7:00am again....another early day for us as I think they want to go into Rome for sure.

This was a very inexpensive day with car rental at 23.00 euro's + 10.00 euro's for gas and 3 bottles of wine at 2.50 euro's a piece.

If you decide to do Florence or Pisa you can do them both in the same day either by renting a car or taking the train from the Stazionne which is about 15 minutes from the ship into Florence or Pisa and they run almost every hour to 1.5 hours.

Allow plenty of time on your way back as traffic at times can be brutal...today there was no traffic for us in either direction. Going to the gym shortly and then dinner at 7:30pm and then the "office" tonight!

More to follow later this evening from the Grand Princess.

Tony and Javier

Hello Tony. We have group of 8 from California that will be sailing on the Golden Princess Rome-Venice on 9/23. I can't wait to read your upcoming posts... This will be my first trip to Europe!

I looked at your upcoming cruises and they are very impressive. Maybe I will get to do what you are doing over the next 20 years or so! I guess you are either independently wealthy or a lottery winner - and you don't need to tell me which one, because I am not a nosey person! I'm just really happy for you and I'm looking forward to reading your reviews.

Ciao!

As your first cruise joyride, doing the Med is a great cruise and you won't want to do anything else but exotic cruises....you are spoilig yourself right from the start!

Tony

Archived