Visa required for Brazil

12B@C

To go to the Iguazu Falls and see the Brazillian side is a visa required to go from Argentina to Brazil? We will have a US passport. If needed, can you get one at the border or is it best to get one at home?

I am sure you need a visa to go across the border from Argentina to Brazil.

Brazil is very particular and likes to see the Visas in the passport. I doubt if you can buy the Visas on the spot. In fact we are going up the Amazon on HAL's Veendam in six weeks time and HAL has written to every TA to pass on to their clients that unless we have the Visa in our passport, we will not be allowed to board the ship in Vancouver, Seattle or Los Angeles and there will be no refund of money for the lost cruise if we do not have the Visa.

We came from Brazil and spent the night at the Sheraton in Argentina and our guide had to collect our passports and show them to Border Control. It was harder to go from Argentina to Brazil than the other way at the Border crossing though we had to get out and walk through the special solution when we crossed into Argentina.

If you don't want to pay the money for a Visa for just one visit to the falls, then you will still see a huge amount on the Argentinian side. There are three walks there and they show you so much of the falls. We did the Argentinian walks in the morning and in the afternoon we crossed to the Brazilian side and did the only one walk there. It is a terrific sight and worth seeing but to pay out a huge amount for a Visa just for a couple of hours, to me it isn't worth the money to dothis one walk. especially if you are not going to visit any other part of Brazil.

Jennie

You will need to get a visa for Brazil before you leave for your cruise. You'll want to read the requirements. If I remember correctly the Visa is good for three months so you can't get it too early but it takes a while to get it so keep that in mind. We will need one for our cruise which includes Brazil. We plan to use a visa service that the cruise line uses.

Aussie Gal has given some great advice. You could consider seeing the Falls from the Argentina side and not have to worry about getting the visa.

Keith

NCL says that you need the visa only if you'll be shopping there.

See http://www.ncl.com/more/visa_requirement.htm

Argentina: For cruises that end in Argentina a departure tax is required (presently $18) which is collected at the Buenos Aires International Airport. Also, guests who book the 3-Night Iguazu Falls Land Package only need to obtain a visa for Brazil (optional) if they intend to do shopping on the Brazilian side of the falls. Note that Brazilian visas must be obtained less than 90 days prior to the day entering Brazil, as the government does not issue visas for longer than a 90-day period from the date of issue.

Perhaps they leave you in Argentina if you don't plan to shop. I would recommend seeing the falls from both sides (Brazil and Argentina) for the full experience, and to do this (to cross the border at all) you MUST have the Brazilian visa if you are US citizen.

I agree with Splinter. From what I read your cruise ship is not going to Brazil. Rather it is going to Argenina with a stop at the Falls.

I am on a cruise that is stopping in Brazil and all American citizens must get visas for Brazil. And, I have looked at the various web sites and they all call for visa for Brazil if you are a US citizen.

Keith

• 4 years later...

Archived