Terrorism And Cruising!!!

CGTNORMANDIE

After many trips thru Heathrow what are they doing about all the duty free shopping for liquor, cosmetics, food , etc. there? Have they shut down the shops?
Speaking just for myself, I sure hope so....and that it's permanent.

After clearing security in Terminal 3 it's a nightmare negotiating through that arcade, especially trying to find the small doorway that leads to the aircraft boarding area.

(I'll miss only the Harrod's shops, because I like buying a tin of their Lemon-Orange shortbreat biscuits for the flight.)

One of our low cost airlines Easyjet has just announced that they are increasing the hold allowance by 5kg per passenger. Not sure if all will follow suit but often where one goes .....

My parents travelled to the US from the UK on AA 3 days after 9/11 and could only take a plastic bag on the flight with travel tickets, passport etc, much the same as now. On their return flight 2 weeks later, everything was back to normal with no restrictions on what they could bring onto the aircraft (other than normal ones of course) albeit with increased security.

I wouldn't worry too much that it is a permanent measure.

After many trips thru Heathrow what are they doing about all the duty free shopping for liquor, cosmetics, food , etc. there? Have they shut down the shops?

The duty free shops are controlled right? You purchase at the store and it is delivered to the plane gate. The risk of explosives would be based on the employees and how well they are screened. I worked in an airport once and I thought we were screened pretty well. But, since one of the fellows arrested worked at Heathrow, one must wonder if their standards are now changing.

I bet the shops stay open.

UK Duty Free shops are currently not operating as there are no schemes as operate in the US to deliver purchases direct to the gate - I think that will be changing very soon!

BA had previously dealt with the reduction in hold baggage weight by removing the weight limit on cabin baggage and replacing it with a mor generous size limit and a condition you had to be able to lift the bag ito the overhead container unaided. That was how I was going to get over the problem next May - well it was until today. I am sure they will look at the policies again and I doubt they will be charging for any excess baggage just now anyway

It absolutely won't change anything to us.

Those son of the #@$%^& terrorists want to kill innocient people and disrupt our western economic.

My way of life will go on and won't change any travel plan.

Ricky

OK, folks, while I'm sure we can all agree that the problem was caused by the failures of Rutherford B. Hayes to consider airport and airline security issues adequately; and his failures exascerbated by James Garfield and Chester A. Arthur, his VP who succeeded Garfield after his assassination (and who signed the first immigration act), please remember this forum is called Cruise Critic, not Politics Critic or Media Critic, and the reason it's called

newnavtop-anniversary.jpg

is because the focus of the discussions on this forum is Cruising.

So if you want to engage in political discussion, there is a plethora of opportunity to do just that on the internet, but please do that on political forums, not on Cruise Critic.

Thanks.

Yep. You're right. I got carried away by the moment. Sorry. We are still excited about our Baltic Cruise on Constellation Aug. 26, and our 3 pre-cruise days in London. As for travel from Canada to Heathrow, well, we will wait and see how things proceed between now and then, and we will deal with whatever!! :D

If my husband and I weren't cruising with another couple on our upcoming Constellation cruise in October, I would cancel out. Some of you don't know the fear that others of us can have with flying and now with this situation, the fear has gotten major. Or at least I would change my flight plans from American Airlines to Jet Blue which is a lesser used and popular airline. Doesn't make us feel too safe since American was one of the target airlines last week. If you don't have a fear of flying it is hard to understand when someone else does.

In my opinion only, a trip/vacation is not worth all the fear I will have in flying to get there and yes, there is that concern that cruise ships might start being targeted.

Cruising is my favorite form of vacation but I can still give it up also if things get worse.

I think I will stick to cruising and flying up and down the west coast or travelling our own beautiful country in the motorhome. Some people forget our traveling in our own country. It is amazing the number of people we speak to that haven't even seen some of the major national parks we have here but yet they fly to Europe and everywhere else.

Yes, I would definitely let these terrorism threats change our plans if I could. Definitely, not worth the fear. Hard to have a good time when you are in fear of something bad happening.

• 3 weeks later...

Two stories out today will affect travel plans:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060904.wjordan0904/BNStory/International/home

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=agwoftFeJsYk&refer=asia

Celebrity has already rerouted one Galaxy sailing. I am sure others will cancel visits to Turkey.

Archived