aurora borealis in mid-September?

brandnew

What are my chances of seeing photographable northern lights September 10-17 on an inside passage cruise? Most of the other threads have said July is impossible, or January is great, if it's cold, or Anchorage is too far south and too bright, or you never know!

Any real experience from mid-September cruises going no further north than Glacier Bay?:confused:

Jeane

What are my chances of seeing photographable northern lights September 10-17 on an inside passage cruise? Most of the other threads have said July is impossible, or January is great, if it's cold, or Anchorage is too far south and too bright, or you never know!

Any real experience from mid-September cruises going no further north than Glacier Bay?:confused:

Jeane

Generally not a good chance that far south, this early in the year. It normally doesn't start improving until after the fall equinox. Especially since we are in a low solar activity period this year. But you never know for sure. So check this forum from the Geophysical Institute located at the Univ. of Alaska: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraAlerts/

I have seen them a few times from a cruise ship. You also are NOT going to be able to photograph them from a ship- constant motion that will not make it for extended exposures. You need to be on land.

So if you want a chance of seeing them, DAILY (can not stress this enough) check the above prediction web site. If active within your "mapped" area. Plan on being out starting around midnight and staying out. You need clear dark nights. Meaning full viewing of stars. If you have cloud cover- forget it.

• 2 months later...

The cruising season runs from May to early September...what is the best time when you might expect to see an aurora?

Thanks for any tips..

LL

Your chances are not good for any of those months, The best time to see them is in the winter when the air is crisp and clear, Dec-March I have seen some beautiful ones with lots of red.

Folks on the last run of the Radiance reported Northern Lights this year. Mid-September near Skagway, I believe. I'm taking my chances (and crossing my fingers) and doing the last Sept run in 2008. I've already got July booked for 2007 with the perfect cabin so I'm not switching it. Just gonna go again!

Good luck - hope you see some auroras...and hope you snap some shots to remember it by!

Folks on the last run of the Radiance reported Northern Lights this year. Mid-September near Skagway, I believe. I'm taking my chances (and crossing my fingers) and doing the last Sept run in 2008. I've already got July booked for 2007 with the perfect cabin so I'm not switching it. Just gonna go again!

Good luck - hope you see some auroras...and hope you snap some shots to remember it by!

Sorry- but if aurora is a priority, then get to interior Alaska for several days. Cruise ship viewing is horizonial and not the spectacular overhead views. Also way too many people think the way off town lights are aurora. :)

You just are too far south.

Sorry- but if aurora is a priority, then get to interior Alaska for several days. Cruise ship viewing is horizonial and not the spectacular overhead views. Also way too many people think the way off town lights are aurora. :)

Cruisers are not too far south - the aurora is often overhead at Carcross. Occasionally there are great displays as early as mid-August, though not as good as in the winter because there's still a bit of light in the sky.

Murray

(comments deleted - nevermind)

Cruisers are not too far south - the aurora is often overhead at Carcross. Occasionally there are great displays as early as mid-August, though not as good as in the winter because there's still a bit of light in the sky.

Murray

Thanks for the post, Murray! Like I said, I'm crossing my fingers. Hope the Radiance brings me luck like it did the folks this year. Glad you confirmed the possibility of seeing the lights! Can't wait for my Alaska trips! (And I'm pretty darn excited about Hawaii in a couple months too!)

Thanks for the post, Murray! Like I said, I'm crossing my fingers. Hope the Radiance brings me luck like it did the folks this year. Glad you confirmed the possibility of seeing the lights! Can't wait for my Alaska trips! (And I'm pretty darn excited about Hawaii in a couple months too!)

With the forcast for the weekend being MINUS 33 degrees and snow here, I wish I could dream about Hawaii! (or even Seattle :D )

Murray

We were aboard the Serenade on her last sailing Sept. 17 and yes we did see the aurora off our starboard balcony above the horizon at midnight...:) This was not so brilliant that one could have photographed it with success... pale greens and yellows constantly changing shapes as we watched.... it was NOT just lights from a city...!!! The possibility is there for you to see it as well... you just need a clear dark sky for starters...! I with you all the best on your cruise next season...:) Don't be discouraged

I have seen them a few times from a cruise ship. You also are NOT going to be able to photograph them from a ship- constant motion that will not make it for extended exposures.

I rarely would disagree with BQ but I did take pictures of the Aurora overhead when we sailed Southbound in early August of 2003. I would not say they were the greatest pictures in the world, but you could see the green streaks in the sky. It was really cool seeing the Aurora from the ship. I think we saw them on the 3rd or 4th night so we were pretty far south by then.

My point, just is, get to Fairbanks for the superb displays and budget enough time. I am not trying to conflict with anyone. :) But it is a big desire for some, and chances are with only a few days inside passage -the odds are against you. My 05 trip- out of 19 days, I had only ONE day of viewing. I follow my own advice- check the predictions daily. :) Weather just wasn't good.

The times I have seen aurora from the ship, have not been completely overhead like they were farther north viewing (Fairbanks) but were "ahead" and more like a sunset - best reference I could think of was horizonial.

There were quite a few people who thought Seward was aurora- way off. :)

I rarely would disagree with BQ but I did take pictures of the Aurora overhead when we sailed Southbound in early August of 2003. I would not say they were the greatest pictures in the world, but you could see the green streaks in the sky. It was really cool seeing the Aurora from the ship. I think we saw them on the 3rd or 4th night so we were pretty far south by then.

No problems. :) But my reference was for the necessity of a timed exposure, which being on the moving water isn't good. :) I photograph aurora with a tripod on land and even then I bracket my exposures and expect clear images of fixed objects in my photos. There is a wide range of photo acceptability. Please accept my apologies.

Archived