On line travel agent gave away my room.

Another ship trip

No, I can't cancel and rebook because we are a triple. Triples are "Sold out" according to Princess. If we were just two, it would be okay and I would do just exactly that.

This agent had me listed as accepting upgrades. She is claiming that I would accept any upgrade. That simply is not true--I want to approve any change in room--(wouldn't most people?) What she failed to do was to call me to accept the upgrade. She accepted for me but did not ask me. I am particular about location more than deck having sailed numerous times. Her method was to take the upgrade but not call me. I received an email and I don't check my email every day (usually every other day at home when I am really busy at work--and I am doing 12 hour work days for about 3 weeks straight and Saturdays too) and by the time I saw the email, two days had passed and then she was not working for another day or two.

I asked her to call me after I read her email, and even then she never did. But I got an email...

I am calling Princess tonight to see what I can do. I am also going to lose money on this proposition so even if I keep the icky room, I will pay more by at least 225 (maybe more) since I am losing the TA's supposed group discount. But I can't reward this behavior by keeping her as an agent. It is more of a principal issue to me than a money one at this point.

I agree with you. Its ashame this TA took it upon herself to accept this cabin change for you. You are really stuck now as there are no triples available for your sailing.What ashame! I hope You get to straighten this TA out and get some kind of compensation from her Agency. Good Luck and hope you enjoy your cruise.

I had written back to her to tell her that I was making this a direct booking since she lost the room we wanted (and a bit more than this) and she wanted me to say I was cancelling my booking. I wrote back to tell her that I am not, as of yet, cancelling my cruise but am firing my agent for non communication and giving away the room without consulting me.

She wrote back to tell me that the agency agrees with her not to charge me a cancellation fee at this time. She wished me well and that is all.

My thoughts are that if she tried to charge me, she would have a pretty hard time of it since I have emails where I ask her not to take the "upgrade" but she already had and had emailed me to that effect. I am certain I would not have to pay anyway as I would dispute it with the credit card company. However, I do not see how I could possibly get them to do anything more than wish me good luck unless someone knows something that I don't know. Princess did not seem concerned that this happened and "can't help me" as of yet.

Dear Another ship trip.

You asked why use a TA, why not book yourself. I am an ex TA so I have the knowledge to book my own, but I use a TA since I do not have connections in the industry anymore.

Example that happened last month. I was scheduled on a Baltic cruise. My originating flight was cancelled after we had already taxied onto the runway. The specifics aren't important. i called my TA from the plane and she said she would see what she could do. I went to the airline ticket counter and the very nice lady worked for about 10 minutes and informed me that there was nothing she could find to get me to meet the cruise on time. She even looked at flights with 4 connections. My TA called back 30 minutes after I called her and had me on a 1 connection flight to Copenhagen, arriving with 3 hours to spare before the ship left.

My point...she did what the airlines said could not be done. Granted that is an unusual situation, but it happens.

Again, I know that does not help with the current situation, but I feel it is preferable to perhaps pay a bit more and have the peace of mind that if something happens, they will be on your side.

I hope you can find a good local travel agent in your town.

We had the same thing happen to us, although they didn't even claim it was a refund. This was on Royal Caribbean, so I don't know if this would work with Princess, but we were so unhappy with the room, that we switched to a 'guarantee' since we figured the room couldn't get worse and we lucked out and got back to a mid-ship room. :)

Homelover,

I need to have a TA like you have. That is service. Mine is not available but limited time and invariably when you need one, it's off hours. Kind of like kids and doctors. They always get sick on Friday night when the office isn't open until Monday! But I do understand what you say. Food for future thought. I am probably going on guarantee tomorrow. Three rooms that were available are all the tail end rooms. And to answer a prior poster, I have stayed in those before and there is nothing desirable about them unless they are a suite with a balcony! We are back and forth to the room a dozen times a day and long walks lead to missed activities as we are go, go, go and do, do, do folks and you can easily waste 15 or more minutes going one round trip to your out of the way cabin to grab something and back to the public area of your activity for that hour. LOCATION, LOCATION. This is what is most important to us especially when all Princess rooms are the same size, but may be "upgrades" just because they are the exact cabin on different decks. (inside, outside, balcony, minis, suites) There are only 5 basic types of cabins on this ship and then the only real consideration for us is where you are on a behemoth such as the Grand. I have sailed on this one before and that football field+ walk gets old when you do it all day long. I don't mind the walk, I mind the waste of time. Will let you know what Princess says tomorrow....

This booking I acted as my own TA with Princess and they asked me at booking if I wanted to be on the upgrade list- I wanted to approve any upgrade since we booked an AFT Balcony and they told me that I would not be notified that the upgrade would just happen-so I decided to stick with my AFT Balcony room.

I hope that everything works out for you.

I Have Been Very Lucky I Have Booked With Cruiselines Direct, And Have Booked With On-line Agencies, I Have Never Had A Problem Since I Pick The Cabins, I Feel For You As This Past Reservation I Had Was Cancelled And The Agency Blamed The Cruise Line And The Cruise Line Said They Did Not Cancell,well I Was Ticked Off They Reinstated My Original Reservation, Sorry About Your Misfortune What Ever Happened To The Customer Is Right.

No, the TA has no right, legal or otherwise, to make decisions for the client without express permission to do so. I was one for 32 years!

I'm still not so sure. When a TA books a cruise for a client he/she is given the authority to enter the client into a legally binding contract with the cruise line. The TA is basically saying "I have the power, on behalf of my client, to bind my client into this contract. I authorize the cruise line to levy any cancellation or other penalties on my client and to make my client subject to all of the other provisions of the contract."

If I, as a TA, can make these decisions on the client's behalf why wouldn't I also have the power to make a cabin switch? I'm not saying it's right. But I'm curious as to how much authority a client actually gives to an agent when dealing with a third party. Can the client sue the TA for this type of screwup or was the TA acting within his/her implied authority?

Lawyers??

I'm still not so sure. When a TA books a cruise for a client he/she is given the authority to enter the client into a legally binding contract with the cruise line. The TA is basically saying "I have the power, on behalf of my client, to bind my client into this contract. I authorize the cruise line to levy any cancellation or other penalties on my client and to make my client subject to all of the other provisions of the contract."

If I, as a TA, can make these decisions on the client's behalf why wouldn't I also have the power to make a cabin switch? I'm not saying it's right. But I'm curious as to how much authority a client actually gives to an agent when dealing with a third party. Can the client sue the TA for this type of screwup or was the TA acting within his/her implied authority?

Lawyers??

On paper it might sound so - but, in fact, is not. It is not the agency that is entering the client into the legally binding contract with the cruiseline - it is the client entering on her own. Agent is acting more as a facilitator in this transaction at the direction of the client. The legally binding contract is between the client and the cruiseline - not the agent and the client.

A TA cannot "make decisions on the clients behalf" without first consulting with the client as it is the clients contract - not the agent. Also, keep in mind, the agency itself has a very long and intricate "disclaimer" that is usually printed on the back of invoices and other documents that specifies the relationship between the client and the agent.

There are circumstances where the agent can operate for the client. Specifically, credit card charges. The agent can use the clients credit card for purchases directed by the client without a signature. However, the agent must have a "signature on file" card that the client has signed giving explicit permission to do so.

There are a few times when it might not be necessary to call the client first. Airline seat assignments are a good example. If the agent was only able to reserve and aisle seat in the rear of the plane and later an aisle seat further forward opened up, the agent would be doing a service to change the clients seat assignment. But, even this can be tricky.

What the TA in this instance should be liable for is any additional charges the client may incur due to the agents mishandling. The whole purpose is to "make the client whole" - in another words, put the client in the same basic condition she was in before the agent mishandled.

A good agent or agency, would just acknowledge the error and fix it. One who values repeat business would do so. This comes under the "cost of doing business". In addition, most reputable agencies carry "errors and ommision" insurance which would surely pay it if the agency submitted.

The OP in this case has every right to be mad.... If it were me, I'd be tap dancing on top of the managers desk until I was made "whole" again

I havent booked directly with Princess before, but when doing so, do you get asked if I want to be on the upgrade list or no ? Is this a routine question in the reservation process ? If so, then the TA should ask that question when making the reservation for a client.. same thing like asking "what dining option do you need".. am I right ?

On paper it might sound so - but, in fact, is not. It is not the agency that is entering the client into the legally binding contract with the cruiseline - it is the client entering on her own..

The thing that's causing me some confusion is:

If what you say is true, how can a cruise line flat refuse to deal directly with the client if an agent has been used? Shouldn't the client have every right to call the cruise line at any time for any reason and make changes? But that doesn't happen. The cruise lines can and do refuse any changes if they haven't received them from the agent.

If a TA has no authority to make unauthorized changes to a booking and makes an irreversible change that the client afterwards doesn't like can the TA be sued? We know this happens. Does anyone know of any successful suits against TAs in these types of circumstances?

I havent booked directly with Princess before, but when doing so, do you get asked if I want to be on the upgrade list or no ? Is this a routine question in the reservation process ? If so, then the TA should ask that question when making the reservation for a client.. same thing like asking "what dining option do you need".. am I right ?

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't mention Upgrade when booking with Princess.....if not mentioned just ask them to add that.:)

Yes - this is a routine question.

I have always been asked "do you want to be considered for an automatic upgrade if one becomes available?" when I book with Princess. I always transfer it later to a TA.

Agents have this option also when they do the booking.

[quote name='cruiseco']The thing that's causing me some confusion is:

If what you say is true, how can a cruise line flat refuse to deal directly with the client if an agent has been used? Shouldn't the client have every right to call the cruise line at any time for any reason and make changes? But that doesn't happen. The cruise lines can and do refuse any changes if they haven't received them from the agent.

If a TA has no authority to make unauthorized changes to a booking and makes an irreversible change that the client afterwards doesn't like can the TA be sued? We know this happens. Does anyone know of any successful suits against TAs in these types of circumstances?[/quote]

[B]Maybe I can explain it. Once a TA has made a reservation at the direction of a client, it is considered a booking that "belongs", if you will, to the agent. The cruiseline will pay commission to that agent for handling the booking. That is how the agency makes money. The amount of the commission is negotiated and is private as any contract would be. The cruiseline deals only with that agency with regard to that booking. The cruiseline normally would not call the client directly (except in very rare emergency cases). It is considered the agency's business and all transactions must be made through the agency.[/B]

[B]When the client calls the cruiseline directly, the client is considered to be "going over the head of the agency" and, due to the business contract between the agency and the cruiseline, it is not permitted. There are some circumstances where the client can work directly with the cruiseline but they are rare circumstances and is usually due to an emergency of some sort.[/B]

[B]This business arrangement is not unique to the cruise industry. You will also see it in the airline industry, the hotel industry, tour operators, etc.[/B]

[B]And yes, TA's get sued due to just these kind of screw-ups. From what OP says, it is going to now cost her money to do what she has to do in order to overturn the error the TA made.... That's why TA's carry "Errors and Omission" insurance - and why it is so expensive. It is sort of like "malpractice insurance", if you will.[/B] That's why I say the agency should just make this right for the OP. Any good agency would recognize that it is their fault and make it right.

[B]Did this help?:o [/B]

I spoke with someone at Princess who took my number, so to speak, and after telling them the situation (to a different person for the 4th or 5th time) they are going to have someone call me to see what can be done by Monday. They are noting that the customer (me) is not happy with the upgrade received. This is true because as mentioned earlier in the post, it was taken without notifiying me to see if I wanted it. I most assuredly would not have taken it. Anyway, I once again am on the "hurry up and wait" list. I will see if Princess comes through.
I would call the prior agency (as some have suggested) but since I transferred it to Princess, I doubt anything could be done. This is ridiculous though and may sour me on Princess for any more cruises with them if they cannot help out here. And yes I know it is not THEIR problem, but perhaps they need to educate the agents who act on their behalf and pull bookings from them. I have an affinity for NCL (love their Personal Choice dining which this ship on Princess also has), and will basically go wherever I am best taken care of. NCL treats us great with canapes most every night for at least our last 3-4 cruises, in room sparking wine 1-2 nights etc. because we have sailed with them more than 10 times. I am in no way opposed to Princess as a line, but I will see if Princess is as good as they others all say. Only my third time with them (and our first cruise we had a major issue that was not handled properly by management but was by the employees--whole other story) so we will see if I stay with them for future cruises or not.

Archived