On line travel agent gave away my room.

Another ship trip

Well guess what? I have been booked on the Grand for 5 months for my upcoming cruise in November. My on-line agent (who I have used only once before) gave away

my room as she got me an "upgrade". She did not call me to ask if the room would be okay. She just gave away my room and traded for a "better" one. Now my room is the MOST forward room (inside!) on the ship where I was midship by an elevator and stairs and on a deck with interior activities. I am so $%&*$$%^&^ mad! Needless to say, communication has been null. She emails me to tell me this and I call Princess to try and get my room back because, as usual, this agency is closed on weekends. They tell me my agent has to do it and she can call them. Well by the time she does so, my room is long gone. We had the room we wanted for 5 months, now it is gone and the cruise for triples is sold out. I AM STUCK with a room that is not at all what we want. Princess says they cannot help since they did not cause the problem.

Long story short, I ripped the cruise away from her and made it a direct booking but now we have a room we don't want. I would cancel as final payment isn't due for another 2 weeks, but then we won't even get to cruise at all then.

Question: Has anyone ever had any experience with this and if so, is there anything I can do at all. I think I am Dead like Fred on this one but will listen to anyone. BTW--on line agents are now banned from my list forever. Hunting for a good agent for the future!

Quick question - did you discuss upgrades with your TA previously? Not sure if you specified to them that you did not want any upgrades when you made the booking.

I usually leave myself open to upgrades but recently booked a cabin and specifically told my TA not to accept any upgrades.

It is possible more cabins will open up around final payment time. I would have Princess waitlist for the category that you want.

Well guess what? I have been booked on the Grand for 5 months for my upcoming cruise in November. My on-line agent (who I have used only once before) gave away

my room as she got me an "upgrade". She did not call me to ask if the room would be okay. She just gave away my room and traded for a "better" one. Now my room is the MOST forward room (inside!) on the ship where I was midship by an elevator and stairs and on a deck with interior activities. I am so $%&*$$%^&^ mad! Needless to say, communication has been null. She emails me to tell me this and I call Princess to try and get my room back because, as usual, this agency is closed on weekends. They tell me my agent has to do it and she can call them. Well by the time she does so, my room is long gone. We had the room we wanted for 5 months, now it is gone and the cruise for triples is sold out. I AM STUCK with a room that is not at all what we want. Princess says they cannot help since they did not cause the problem.

Long story short, I ripped the cruise away from her and made it a direct booking but now we have a room we don't want. I would cancel as final payment isn't due for another 2 weeks, but then we won't even get to cruise at all then.

Question: Has anyone ever had any experience with this and if so, is there anything I can do at all. I think I am Dead like Fred on this one but will listen to anyone. BTW--on line agents are now banned from my list forever. Hunting for a good agent for the future!

Inside forward is an upgrade?? Must just be a little larger.........Did you have an inside before??

This will not help you now, but I suggest that you find a reputable local TA, so that you are not just a number. They care enough about your business that they would fight for you.

Try to enjoy the cruise, and when you are boarding, tactfully explain the situation and see if they can help you.

I found out 4 days before I left for my cruise from my Princess Personalizer.

You are not alone...I cancelled my cruise and got a cruise credit for another cruise.

Actually we did discuss upgrades but I had stipulations. I wanted to know what it would be before she would accept it. As most people who have sailed alot know, some upgrades can be downgrades! This room certainly is that we now have been stuck with. She had booked one other cruise for me earlier this year and I ended up having to negotiate my upsell with that line when she had to leave in the middle of getting it done! Looking back now, that should have been a big clue. I never imagined that someone would upgrade without my permission since we hand picked the room that we wanted unless something we liked better was offered. I never would make a decision for my "clients" without their prior knowledge and consent. We purposely did not choose a guarantee room for that reason.

I have used a local one for several cruises many years ago but she was not aware of upsells for example, and we didn't really get anything out of it other than a call when our tix came in. Maybe I should just do my own from here on out...

That's why I use a cruise only agent in my area to book my cruises. I know them, they know what I like, what I would find unacceptable and they give great service.

I do mortgage lending and I hear all the time about how some on line discount mortgage house has lower rates. To which I say.... sometimes you get what you bargained for. If it's a lot cheaper, then you didn't pay for any kind of service and no one really cares if you are unhappy. There are plenty more behind you to take the deal if you don't want it. You become a number and a commission sale. I hope you got the cabin at a really low price because if not, you got screwed by the on line agency.

Again, find a local travel agent and they will not disappoint you.

I am not sure why I need an agent at all. The only reason I have used one for all my prior cruises is because I did get really good prices. Over the years I am sure I have saved thousands over what I would have gotten at my local travel agent who quotes the same prices as the cruiselines themselves. The advantage of the big guy is price--obvious disadvantage is service (lack thereof). It sucks but it is the first time I have been burned. I will pay about 225 more to keep this rez and lose about 50 bucks of OBC or I can cancel. I have only 2 weeks to decide. But I simply will not let her have my business when she didn't even call me days after I asked her to. I will wait until sometime next week and research a bit more before I decide. Instead of Thanksgiving, maybe we will go the week before Christmas. I suppose I can cancel as long as final payment isn't due, right? I have never cancelled a single cruise we have ever booked in 20 years...and really don't want to cancel this one but I am still angry right now.

You are not alone...I cancelled my cruise and got a cruise credit for another cruise.

Out of curiosity, were you booked in a guarantee or did you pick your room? did the agent or the cruiseline change your room? If the cruiseline did, then it would be their fault. Since my agent did this, Princess says there is nothing they can do to help me....

But Kruisey, wasn't yours a bit different? Wasn't yours because you booked a single share and that is what they found you, a cabin mate, but you didn't want one even though that is why you got the single share rate?

If this is the one you are talking about, totally different senario as that one, you got what you booked. :confused: :confused:

But Kruisey, wasn't yours a bit different? Wasn't yours because you booked a single share and that is what they found you, a cabin mate, but you didn't want one even though that is why you got the single share rate?

If this is the one you are talking about, totally different senario as that one, you got what you booked. :confused: :confused:

I didnot request an upgrade for this booking because I need a very quiet area of the ship...I am not opening that one yet again......I have LOTS of EMPATHY indeed for this OP.:cool:

Sorry, didn't mean to bring it up again. But it was just a totally different circumstance, if memory serves me correctly. I remembered reading all of the posts about it. Just couldn't understand why you would compare it to what happened to this poor passenger. ::: puzzled :::

Your TA has no right to change your reservation without your explicit consent. How it works is; usually the TA will call on cruise bookings periodically to check the status and check for upgrades. Sometimes the cruiseline will call the TA and offer an upgrade to the passenger. The TA then is REQUIRED to call you, the passenger, give you the details and you can then accept or decline. TA then calls cruiseline back and makes the arrangements. This is usually done all on the same day as upgrades don't normally hold for more than a few hours. It is customary to keep the cruiseline on the phone while the TA contacts the passenger and the decision is made right then.

Your TA has totally screwed this up and owes you something. I would call the TA back, speak with a res supervisor. This isn't the first time I've heard of this nonsense.

Inside forward is an upgrade?? Must just be a little larger.........Did you have an inside before??

Well, I imagine she was moved up a deck. Notice on the deck plans, usually the end cabins are one category, the midship cabins are a category higher, and then the end cabins on the next deck are one category higher still!

So technically, it is an "upgrade" because it is a more expensive cabin. But as the OP points out, that makes no difference if you have particular preferences.

Frankly, this is a good reason to book with a local full service TA. It is much more fulfilling to go in and bang on their desk than it is to try to yell at an 800 number!!

>:-)

This Prob Means Nothing... BuT We Had C102 On The Caribbean Princess (the Most Forward Room You Can Get) And We Loved It!

Give It A Try It May Not Be So Bad Afterall.

My Husband And I Started To Request That Room Again But We Decided To Give Somewhere Else A Try. We Will Be On It Again In One Month From Today!!! Yea

The TA has an option when booking with Princess upgrade or no upgrade. If they choose upgrade Princess will fax them notice of the available upgrade and they have 48 hrs to approve or decline. So they thought you wanted an upgrade and never bothered to contact you with the change,which had they called you and told you this you could have declined it and would have stayed in your original cabin.

The TA has an option when booking with Princess upgrade or no upgrade. If they choose upgrade Princess will fax them notice of the available upgrade and they have 48 hrs to approve or decline. So they thought you wanted an upgrade and never bothered to contact you with the change,which had they called you and told you this you could have declined it and would have stayed in your original cabin.

This option was never offered in my case.What can I say...Water under the Bridge now.

OP unless you get very sea sick ...I know its not your choice do go on your trip.I always travel forward high up and have had no trouble so far.Make certain you have 'No Upgrade 'on your booking next time you book and get written conformation of this fact on the booking and keep a printed copy.:cool: .....Hugs to you from Kruisey.:)

Your TA has no right to change your reservation without your explicit consent. How it works is; usually the TA will call on cruise bookings periodically to check the status and check for upgrades. Sometimes the cruiseline will call the TA and offer an upgrade to the passenger. The TA then is REQUIRED to call you, the passenger, give you the details and you can then accept or decline. TA then calls cruiseline back and makes the arrangements. This is usually done all on the same day as upgrades don't normally hold for more than a few hours. It is customary to keep the cruiseline on the phone while the TA contacts the passenger and the decision is made right then.

Your TA has totally screwed this up and owes you something. I would call the TA back, speak with a res supervisor. This isn't the first time I've heard of this nonsense.

I agree that the TA totally screwed up here but I'm not so sure that your other information is correct. If there's any lawyers out there who can chime in I'd like to know what's really the legal case here. If the TA is really acting as your agent, I believe that they moght have the legal right to make these kinds of changes. Isn't that what the agent-client relationship entails? If a client chooses someone to act as their agent in dealing with the cruise line how much power does the agent have to make changes, if any? Anybody out there know?

In my experience, serving as your own TA works fine as long as you never have a problem. If you do, keep in mind that the cruise line will normally be quicker to accomodate a TA who books a lot of business with them than a single traveler who may only book the occasional trip.

It's kind of like insurance in a way. Also, if you find a TA who specializes in a particular line you can still get great prices, usually better than you'll get on your own.

In my experience, serving as your own TA works fine as long as you never have a problem. If you do, keep in mind that the cruise line will normally be quicker to accomodate a TA who books a lot of business with them than a single traveler who may only book the occasional trip.

It's kind of like insurance in a way. Also, if you find a TA who specializes in a particular line you can still get great prices, usually better than you'll get on your own.

When you book direct Princess is your TA and they handle any questions then and there.....if the person needs to ask a higher authority they put you on hold and come back with the answer.

As regard getting great prices there are two kinds of TA's those that have a large customer base which give great prices....but due to the volume of clients unable to give great customer service......Then those that give great service ....do not have a large customer base,but cannot give great prices.

Thats my personal view of TA's.:cool:

I am not a fan of on-line agents, prefer brick and morter companies, but do we have all the facts? Did the agent give the room away or did Princess upgrade without pre-approval from the client or agant? Princess has a history of doing this.

Example: We were booked on Coral with a bump out balcony on deck 7. About 6 months before cruising I was checking on things and noted we had been "upgraded" to deck 8 at the bow. Talked to my agent and she had not approved anything. Seems Princess does this(reported here many times by others) and then claims they send out a fax. My agent received no such fax and Princess could not prove they sent one. Took a month but it got fixed. We got our cabin back.

Since, we add a note to all bookings, "NO UPGRADES WITHOUT WRITTEN APPROVAL".

I agree that the TA totally screwed up here but I'm not so sure that your other information is correct. If there's any lawyers out there who can chime in I'd like to know what's really the legal case here. If the TA is really acting as your agent, I believe that they moght have the legal right to make these kinds of changes. Isn't that what the agent-client relationship entails? If a client chooses someone to act as their agent in dealing with the cruise line how much power does the agent have to make changes, if any? Anybody out there know?

No, the TA has no right, legal or otherwise, to make decisions for the client without express permission to do so. I was one for 32 years!

We have dealt with an online agency for 8 years and have never encountered a problem with them. When I initially booked with them, I speciified if an upgrade came along to call us first before accepting the change of cabin. This they have always done and never had a problem. We didn't always take the upgrade because of location of the cabin on the Ship. Your TA was wrong and since You cannot get in touch with her direct. I would call and ask to speak with a manager and see what satisfaction you get. If You are that unhappy and feel this cabin will ruin your cruise, then I would cancel with them. You can rebook with Princess direct or another agency. You still have time. Possibly You will get a cabin in the location you wanted. Some people cancel right before final payment. So keep an eye on what cabins are available. Good Luck!

Archived