Please tell me I don't need my marriage license!!!!

chp3ril

It is suggested that you bring your marriage license, although I was never asked for it. I was told recently that for flights out of the country certain airlines are starting to get more strict with this some even denying boarding in recent weeks. Just to be safe I would get it. You can go to www.vitalchek.com and have it sent to you if you don't live in the same county you were married in. I think they may have either overnight or 2nd day delivery. If you do live in the same county just go down the the county clerk office and it takes just a few minutes to get one. Better to be safe than sorry.

What you really need to be concerned about is that your cruise documents match your identification documents.

If you have a lot of different names on everything, you should probably bring as much documentation to prove who you are. The gov't and the cruiseline are aware that women change their name when they marry, I've never taken a marriage certificate along. Don't forget, the ID is required to get back into the US, not to take a cruise, the ship just wants to make sure they can get you back off at the end of the cruise.

When you return home, if you plan to cruise again any time soon, apply for your passport, it's foolproof, easier to take than a lot of different documents and kind of cool looking.

I should have been clearer when I posted that in the other thread.

Probably most people would not need to bring this.

I bring a copy of mine because my passport has been ammended from my maiden name, to my now married name.

I just worry about the little 'ammendment stamp', because it looks like something anyone could stamp on my passport, which is why I bring a copy of my marriage license too. ;)

HUGz! Jules

If your driving license is current and it shows your present name then you are OK. If it is not up to date then it needs to be. If you don't drive you can go to your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles and get a State ID for about $13. I just had one made for my grandson since I didn't want him carrying his passport every time he needed his ID checked onboard. Our state BMV needed a birth certificate,a current school record,SS card and a bill showing you are a state resident in order to do that :)

Sorry to be "one of those people" but, here it goes...Cut and Pasted from the RCI Website

What if the name on my reservation does not match my travel document?The name on your reservation MUST match the name on your travel identification documentation due to the requirements of the regulatory agencies in the countries we will be visiting during your cruise vacation.

If there is a difference between the name on your reservation and the name on your travel identification documents, please contact your travel agent or us at (800) -------.

So, as I understand this statement, your name of the resi, must match the name on your travel docs...

Better safe and on the ship, than waving to it from the dock.

I have a comment about this since I spoke to RCCL a few weeks ago about this subject. My DH is unable to cruise the end of Sep with me, so my DS is going with me. I called RCCL to change the resv into her name and she reminded me to not forget the required docs. Which, since she doesn't have a passport, her marriage license. She said that the custom officials (port authorities) could pull anyone out of line they'd like and look at their docs. If she couldn't show how her BC name changed to her DL they could deny boarding. She said "better safe than sorry". DS decided to expedite a passport so now she's good to go.

weareadams: your sis is a smart gal.

I dont understand why so many people are against getting a passport..it is so much easier than showing a DL and BC ...it is one document and is reconized as proof above all other documents that you are infact a US citizen and are who you say you are...just makes sence to me and was well worth the $$ for me to get them for myself and teen daughters:)

I was also told by RCCL to take my birth certificate and marriage license becuase my ID & Birth Cert are not the same last name; I couldn't get my hands on my marriage license, but used a certified copy of my divorce decree which showed my "married" name and that I was keeping my married name. It passed inspection on both RCCL and Carnival. I am using it again this time around.

Speaking of cirtified copies of divorce decrees,,,you know something else I travel with is a copy of my divorce decree that grants me sole custody of my kiddos...it shows the termination of perental rights, so if it is ever questioned why I am traveling internationally with my children it shows I have the right to do so with out anyones permission...just a thought b/c any parent (single or married traveling with children) who travel w/o the other parent have to get a notorized letter stating that the 'other parent' has given permission for the child to travel... (what a hassle that would be)

When my family cruised last year, my mother accidently brought my adult brothers copy of his birth certificate (no raised seal). We about had a heart attack when they brought this to our attention (we live 4 hours from port) and thought they wouldn't let him on. The manager? said all he needed to do was fill out a form stating his DL was correct and that it was him on the travel docs. Despite all the hoopla on the boards, we had no trouble. Although I personally wouldn't take any chances, if you definitely can't get your marraige license, really wouldn't worry about it. Have fun!

I am a TA and can tell you that we had to change our contracts to read "if your b/c and d/l dont match you also need a certified copy of your mc" b/c we were having more and more people being denied boarding.

Out of all the times i've cruised ive only been asked for it about 5 but I have been asked for it. It really depends who is checking you in that day and also the manager on duty.

I have also been asked for it by a customs offical in St Thomas last year.

Hope this helps!

We have had passports since '98. At any time before that and up until even 3 or so years ago...I would have said NO, you don't need your Marriage license. But I don't know nowadays, everything has gotten so strict with travel. Just my 2 cents, if you don't yet have a passport, better to have it with you, than not have it, in case someone asks for it.. :) Unless they extend the deadline again, it won't be an issue after Jan. 1st passports required. :)

In lieu of a passport which establishes BOTH proof of citizenship and proof of identity, you can use this combination:

1. original birth certificate or certified copy with a raised seal to establish your proof of citizenship

2. valid driver's license to establish your proof of identity

If the names do not match each other exactly, you must bring whatever document links the two (marriage license, divorce decree, adoption papers). Now, in practice, married women are seldom asked to produce the marriage license; however, the government is within its rights to ask for the document. Don't take the chance that you'll be the 1 in 100 who is asked for it and denied boarding.

Several TAs have posted on this thread stating the same thing. Just because many many many people have cruised without needing to show the marriage license, doesn't mean that you can go without it. If you need it, and you don't have it, you may be denied boarding. Notice I didn't say you WILL be denied boarding--you may. It's up to the discretion of the immigration officer. Play it safe rather than risking sorry.

Remember, it's not enough to have your marriage license, which only proves your intent to marry. You have to have the one (usually referred to as a certificate) that is filled out, dated, and signed by the person (civil or religious) who married you. It should also be a certified copy.

It's true that they seem to rarely and randomly ask for these items, but the only important point is that they can. If they do and you don't have it, you can be denied boarding. You must have a paper trail proving that you are who you say you are.

beachchick

Unless your drivers license and birth certificate are in the same name, you need your marriage license.

Everyone is an expert on this one. All I can tell you is our experience and that of many, many, many, others we know. Have NEVER had a problem with BC and DL for any cruise were those are the required docs when it is a married woman and the last names do not match.

For those that feel better, bring it if you have it. See if you get asked for it and report back here.

Archived