Tipping on Crown

1337mom

Can someone please give me information on tipping for extraordinary service? I read something, in this forum a while back, but I can no longer find it.

Is is true that dining room waiters are not able to keep tips that are given to them directly?

Is is true that dining room waiters are not able to keep tips that are given to them directly?

Only if you remove the autotip. If you do not, they get to keep all of the extra tip you give them.

It doesn't matter if you have autotipping. Who is going to know if you give them an extra envelope tip? I doubt that they report this. I don't do the autotipping because I have traditional dining and like to personally thank my waiters and cabin steward and always tip more than required. I have always had exceptional service on any cruise line because I travel with a child and they do backflips to make kids happy. Plus, they probably miss their own children. I read about people not liking so many kids on board but believe me- the staff loves cheery kids more than complaining adults!

I let the auto-tipping remain in place when I cruise. Then, if I have had excellent service, I will tip in cash on the last night of the cruise above and beyond what the cruise ship is charging my account. As far as I know they do get to keep those cash tips - like another poster said; who knows that they received more?

I preferred the old way of tipping where it was all in cash at the end but I do understand that there are others who wouldn't tip at all. If the auto-tipping thing works better let it be - but I will always give more money to those that deserve it.

It doesn't matter if you have autotipping. Who is going to know if you give them an extra envelope tip? I doubt that they report this. I don't do the autotipping because I have traditional dining and like to personally thank my waiters and cabin steward and always tip more than required. I have always had exceptional service on any cruise line because I travel with a child and they do backflips to make kids happy. Plus, they probably miss their own children. I read about people not liking so many kids on board but believe me- the staff loves cheery kids more than complaining adults!

You are 100% wrong.. Your tips went into the pool for ALL of the crew. As for not doing the autotip, you are stiffing the many unseen crew members that made your cruise exceptional as well as lowing the final tip amount to that great waiter that did backflips for your kids.. As as for others not knowing who gets a tip in an envelope.. You betcha they know and if those that get it do not report it, they could get fired.

I would suggest to everyone reading these posts to leave the autotips in place. That way those that you tip extra will get to keep it.

I wasn't recommending that people not autotip- I just personally haven't because I use traditional dining. If you are using PC dining then of course autotips are a must. What I am saying is that if you give them extra- I don't think that is going to at all detract from the autotipping (as in a reduction in their pay).

I do recommend traditional dining because I think you get better service when you have the same server night after night. I did not enjoy PC dining on the Sapphire and would not do it again.

How do you know that it goes into a pool? I am not saying your are wrong just wasn't aware of this- since each envelope is individual.
It ALL goes into the pool; then, if the autotipping hasn't been removed, the individual gets to keep the extra tip.

The staff/crew you're tipping individually are not about to risk their jobs because a passenger thinks no one will know and/or wants to be cheap.

We always take off the autotip and tip who we want and when we want, that is the WAY it should be, remember a TIP is to ensure service and now it has become expected... then the definition of the TIP has now been changed to a supplemental salary. Poor service gets poor tip period nuff said.... ...and the tips are not shared like you think they are ...:cool:

We always take off the autotip and tip who we want and when we want, that is the WAY it should be, remember a TIP is to ensure service and now it has become expected... then the definition of the TIP has now been changed to a supplemental salary. Poor service gets poor tip period nuff said.... ...and the tips are not shared like you think they are ...:cool:
I assume you also carry money around with you every day if you go to the buffet so you can tip the people there who have cleaned the tables or helped you? And if you go to breakfast or lunch in the dining room, you also tip individually at the time? That seems like a heck of a lot of bother to me.

The kids and rebeccalouise, you are wrong. The tips are shared. In fact if your waiter or steward does not turn in the tip envelopes they will be fired. Speak to your waiter or steward. The autotips are in my opinion the minimum I would give for average service, given I do not have to make my bed, clean my toilet, vacuum, cook, set the table, clear the table or even pour the coffee.

I seen a show about cruising and the way that tipping was distributed. All the money is pooled according to departments. The heads of the departments distributes the tips equally. If someone does not turn in their money they are terminated. They also make charts that show how much each person is getting. If someone is always lagging they want to know why and if it continues that is relieved and not rehired. It also becomes a challenge to out perform the others. It is a way to have the best workers and give service that passengers expect.

As was posted it is the only fair way to make sure that the all the workers get paid because you are not tipping the people behind the scene. If you only tipped the waiter an steward what about the bus and waiters in the buffet, grills and etc? I have not seen anyone ever leave them a tip.

I like the automatic TIP. You can also add more and designate who the extra is for. I like doing it that way and instead of grandstanding.

katisdale, you are not an emp of Princess nor do you work for the corporate office ... so YOU REALLY DO NOT KNOW what goes on when it comes to tips (you only know what you were told) nuff said on this topic and now back to regular scheduled debates, reviews and alike .............................:o

Well I do really know and I am correct.. I have close friends that work for Corporate and have email contacts with ships crew including a few Maitre D's, Head Waiters, etc.

And FYI, I am willing to bet a cruise, that the vast majority of people that remove their autotips do so because they are cheap... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well I do really know and I am correct.. I have close friends that work for Corporate and have email contacts with ships crew including a few Maitre D's, Head Waiters, etc.

And FYI, I am willing to bet a cruise, that the vast majority of people that remove their autotips do so because they are cheap...

It's funny how your 'close' friends that work for corporate differ in the rules from my 'close' friends who work for corporate. :confused: but I diagress.

Making statements like the 'vast majority of people that remove their autotips do so because they are cheap' are not facts rather a statement made by you (yes I know you stated that you are willing to bet a cruise), however this is the way YOU feel about tipping (and how it makes you FEEL).

Why do you CARE ? This is a forum to discuss things about Princess and to get ready for a trip/plan a trip/walk down memory lane (i.e. good times and a quick getaway from the day to day grind).

The staff on board the ship are the true people who have something vested in regards to tips not you (unless you are one of the staff).

I find it funny how the tips issue causes the board to fill up with so-called experts and ideas and emotions. This is really an emotional issue for some folks here.

Let it go and enjoy your next cruise with or without autotip with or without extra tipping, etc, etc, etc and bring on all the extra wine you want and get free ice cream at certain times while you are at it :D

It is each person's peronsal decision NOT YOURS as to whether they autotip, tip extra, tip like the old days, or even not tip at all :eek:

marlinmike, your picture put a smile on my face, enjoy your weekend and happy cruising to all, even you LARGIN ;)

It's funny how your 'close' friends that work for corporate differ in the rules from my 'close' friends who work for corporate. :confused: but I diagress.

Making statements like the 'vast majority of people that remove their autotips do so because they are cheap' are not facts rather a statement made by you (yes I know you stated that you are willing to bet a cruise), however this is the way YOU feel about tipping (and how it makes you FEEL).

Why do you CARE ? This is a forum to discuss things about Princess and to get ready for a trip/plan a trip/walk down memory lane (i.e. good times and a quick getaway from the day to day grind).

The staff on board the ship are the true people who have something vested in regards to tips not you (unless you are one of the staff).

I find it funny how the tips issue causes the board to fill up with so-called experts and ideas and emotions. This is really an emotional issue for some folks here.

Let it go and enjoy your next cruise with or without autotip with or without extra tipping, etc, etc, etc and bring on all the extra wine you want and get free ice cream at certain times while you are at it :D

It is each person's peronsal decision NOT YOURS as to whether they autotip, tip extra, tip like the old days, or even not tip at all :eek:

marlinmike, your picture put a smile on my face, enjoy your weekend and happy cruising to all, even you LARGIN ;)

What does any of this dissertation have to do with answering the OP's original question? I thought this forum was designed to ask questions and give sound advice regarding Princess cruises.

Ron

Not only is Largin correct, but if you go over to crewoffice on blogspot.com you will read some very entertaining reports of life aboard a Princess cruise ship. And yes, the tipping policy is just as described by Largin. This Purser Office Crew member strongly suggests leaving the autotip in place and he does not even participate in the tip pool. Read the week of March 19-22 for all the Princess tipping policies.

By removing the autotip you are not 'helping' the person you hand the envelope to. When you remove the autotip, the computer knows you did that, and it records that fact and it goes down as a mark against the steward/waiter/staff who would have otherwise shared your autotip. Its all there in black and white.

By removing the autotip you are not 'helping' the person you hand the envelope to. When you remove the autotip, the computer knows you did that, and it records that fact and it goes down as a mark against the steward/waiter/staff who would have otherwise shared your autotip. Its all there in black and white

I was also told this by one of our stewards - when you remove the autotip it is automatically taken off of their paycheck.

Ron

...I was also told this by one of our stewards - when you remove the autotip it is automatically taken off of their paycheck.Ron

But even then, if you give out tips equal to or greater than the amount specified by the auto-tips program, he/she would not have their income reduced.

It is just a lot easier to just leave the auto-tips in place and bonus tip if you want to.

I have tipping questions. I always leave the autotip in place and usually have additional added to waiters/stewards to my cruise card when I have benefitted from exceptional service. I don't usually carry much cash so I add it to my account. I designate this for the people I want to tip extra. Do they get to keep all of it or does it also go into a pool?

If I thought of someone I wanted to tip after the cruise is over, and forgot about them earlier, is there a mechanism for post cruise tipping? Just asking. I'm not cheap.

But even then, if you give out tips equal to or greater than the amount specified by the auto-tips program, he/she would not have their income reduced.

It is just a lot easier to just leave the auto-tips in place and bonus tip if you want to.

Do not think that is correct... For instance, you along with many others remove the autotip. You personally tip equal to the tip specified however no one else does. This makes the pool smaller and therefore his/her part of the pool is smaller. By leaving the autotip in place, they will get their fair share of the pool plus whatever extra tip you gave them.

Archived