# of formal nights on 11 nighter

rocknrobin

Okay, I'm all set, and my husband is pretty much ready to go, but one more question or 2: he has his tux for the formal nights and 2 sports jackets - sufficient? We've been on cruises where he wore a jacket and tie every night and others that were at the other end of spectrum - golf shirts and khakis. As this is our first HAL trip, can you please advise if there are casual, country club casual (CCC) (not my description - I believe this was the wording used on one of our Costa trips - veddy, veddy, if you know what I mean) and of course, the formal nights, or are there CCC, semi formal and formal. Oh...all of life's dilemas should be this simple....I appreciate your input!

A Tux for formal night is fine & asgree you will probably have 3 Formal...

You may also have 3 In-Formal nights on an 11 night cruise...A Sports Jacket with or without a tie is called for....Your DH does not need a tie, but mine likes to occassionally wear one especially if we dine in the Pinnacle Grill..

For Country Club Casual, sports or golf shirts & slacks are fine..

He might want to take an extra Sport Jacket or sweater, as it can get cold in both the Dining Room & the Queens lounge..

On all of our cruses my DH only takes his TUX, one Sport's Jacket,one or two ties, & a sweater or two..We take 14 day or more cruises...

Enjoy your cruise..:) .Betty

• 11 months later...

Just an add...We had 3 formal nights on the two 11 day cruises we took, but the dress code thing is getting a lot of attention in Seattle right now. You may see a reduction in formal nights soon.

I usually pack one white tux jacket and one black and one tux trousers, plus 3 different bow ties plus one business suit and one sports jacket. No more than that. It's not like anyone is keeping close score on the variety of clothing one wears and space in luggage and in the stateroom is always at a premium.

Holland America no longer has Informal Nights. There are smart casual and formal. On an eleven night cruise, you should count on three formal nights and eight smart casual (or CCC as you describe it ....which is how I define smart casual :)).

Many gentlemen still choose to wear a sport jacket or blazer with or without tie on some evenings. Certainly no one will stop your DH from wearing a jacket if he wishes. He'll have company!!

I'm not exactly sure why Walt resurrected this year-old thread. The code has changed since last year, and Informal nights are gone.

The number of formal nights is usually driven by the number of sea-days and the length of the cruise. On an 11 day cruise with 4 or more sea days, look for 3 formal nights. On a port-intensive cruise with only 1 or 2 sea days, look for only 2 formal nights.

Given that this thread is a year old, I wonder how many formal nights there were on the OP's cruise.

Recent 10 day Med on Westerdam had 2 formals and one formal optional. A lot of women were still dressed on the optional. I knew this before I left and so only brought two dresses.

You didn't dress for the Formal Optional?

Did you feel a bit conspicuous going around undressed on the Optional Formal Night?? ;)

You may see a reduction in formal nights soon.

It's good to see that my now-favorite cruise line is changing with the times. Perhaps they'll do "optional" formal nights? Maybe formal upstairs, casual downstairs?

As I enjoy in-room dining, it's not a big deal, but it would be yet another option for us. :)

:) Wonder how her cruise was. ;) :)

Hope it was great.

We were sailing companions with Robin and another couple on that cruise. It was the 1/6 cruise on the Noordam out of New York. It was GREAT! Weren't you on that cruise, Sail? I think we spoke at one point. And I know Revneal was there!

Archived