$2500 to upgrade

We are in a D1 on Freedom 10/15, I am noticing other balconies & JS opening up on RCCL site. They won't talk since I am part of a group, so I email my TA on getting us AFT if available. The only thing there is AFT & they want $2500 moe from us to get it. For a bathtub??? What a joke!

Wow, that is steep! :eek: Maybe the prices will come down closer to your sailing or maybe they'll offer a suite guarantee. I know that probably won't get you an aft but you never know what delights you may find elsewhere on the ship!

Cheryl

I was a little confused by your post. If you wanted to transfer from a D1 to a D1 aft, it should have been at no cost.

However, you mentioned bathtub, to it is probably a JS, if not higher. I did not see any balconies or suites for your cruise today, but the 10/22 FOS cruise had a JS that is $470 pp above the D2 price. My only thought is the cabin you TA quoted you was ABOVE a JS, maybe a GS or something like that.

Keep watching for open cabins. If a D1 aft comes open, call your TA and tell them to switch cabins. If they won't, insist!! The same is true if you upgrade. You will know what the difference is between what you paid, and the going rate. Your TA should be able to change the reservation, and you will have to pay the difference.

If they continue to hassle you, book your next cruise with someone else, or direct with RCL.

Keep on checking to see if a suite guarantee (W) comes available. If you have already paid for a D1, it may not cost you anything. We just did this for our upcoming cruise. The D1 price was 1199 pp, and the suite guarantee was only 999 pp. We were not thrilled with the D1's location, so we upgraded to the guarantee. What a surprise when we were assigned an OS.

Keep on checking to see if a suite guarantee (W) comes available. If you have already paid for a D1, it may not cost you anything. We just did this for our upcoming cruise. The D1 price was 1199 pp, and the suite guarantee was only 999 pp. We were not thrilled with the D1's location, so we upgraded to the guarantee. What a surprise when we were assigned an OS.
Wow, thats quite a deal and I've never seen one for that price. How long ago did you upgrade?

I just did this 2 weeks ago for upcoming cruise on Sept. 10th. It seems suite guarantees usually become available after final payment has been made, and if there are quite a few suites available. With a suite guarantee, you booking says a JS guarantee, but can be given any suite. You also get 2 cruise points for C&A.

Pam

You are only going to see suite guarantees on really "off-season" cruises. The first couple of full weeks of September can be the toughest for the cruiseline to fill. Thanks to me, most of the little darlings are back in school, and it is not a common time for adults to request vacation weeks. And it is the HEIGHT of hurricane season.

Congrats on that great jump to an Owner's Suite!

I'm guessing that it is $2,500 above what they originally booked at for the D1 to go to a JS. Usually it is a $1,000 difference between a D1 and a JS for a week long cruise - but that is when you are comparing current prices. Depending on how good a deal you got when you originally booked then if you try to upgrade later the difference can be quite steep.

Back in November when we booked the D1 and AFT was sold out so we got front starboard area. And my TA had them put the notice that AFT move if opened. So she gets a call for a JS that opened but they want $2500 for it. They got it from her as well as me. We already paid for the D1 and now this JS will cost more than an OS? We expected $400 more.

I think that I know what MACOP is saying. In the first post, she mentioned that she is going as part of a group, thru her TA. (I'm reading into this that she got a "group" rate for a D-1, which should be nicely discounted. When she wanted to upgrade, the best her TA could get for her is the regular rate, hence the vast difference in price.

Stay with what you have and enjoy another cruise with the savings.

Rick

You are only going to see suite guarantees on really "off-season" cruises. The first couple of full weeks of September can be the toughest for the cruiseline to fill. Thanks to me, most of the little darlings are back in school, and it is not a common time for adults to request vacation weeks. And it is the HEIGHT of hurricane season.

Congrats on that great jump to an Owner's Suite!

We're going Mariner 09/17 and I've been watching to see if the JS comes down, we're booked in a D2 and paid $770 PP. Today they have listed Deluxe/Suite as $1099. It's listed in the reservations as Guarantee on Superior Ocean View room but gives the description as a JS (299 sq ft, tub etc). So would that mean the guarantee is for D3 and up and you might get lucky and get a JS or do you think it's for the JS and up? I sure wouldn't want to pay $1099 and still get a D2 or maybe D3. I may be dumb but icon10.gif

If it is a guarantee stateroom (W), it is a JS guarantee, which means you are guaranteed at least a JS. We got lucky and just did this for our 9/10 cruise on the Mariner and received an OS about three hours after doing the upgrade. If you do this, keep checking your reservation on RCCL's website. It will change from a JS guarantee to whatever room they assign you.

I asked this same question to my TA and she said that the write up on RCCL is incorrect. Balcony guarantees are (X) and suites are (W).

Hope this helps,

Pam

I just checked the Freedom for that particular sailing and it looks as if all balcony and suites are taken. If that's the case then I can see why RCI was asking so much for the upgrade. The suite cabins were almost sold out and they knew there was a chance to get a higher rate. Supply and demand!!!!:)

If it is a guarantee stateroom (W), it is a JS guarantee, which means you are guaranteed at least a JS. We got lucky and just did this for our 9/10 cruise on the Mariner and received an OS about three hours after doing the upgrade. If you do this, keep checking your reservation on RCCL's website. It will change from a JS guarantee to whatever room they assign you.

I asked this same question to my TA and she said that the write up on RCCL is incorrect. Balcony guarantees are (X) and suites are (W).

Hope this helps,

Pam

It does, thanks. Just curious, what was your original cabin catageory or did you always have the guarantee for JS or up?

We are in a D1 on Freedom 10/15, I am noticing other balconies & JS opening up on RCCL site. They won't talk since I am part of a group, so I email my TA on getting us AFT if available. The only thing there is AFT & they want $2500 moe from us to get it. For a bathtub??? What a joke!

That more than my entire Hawaiian cruise is costing me, and I have to pay the single suppliment!

Archived