Travel insurance?

scottlyn

I recently purchased insurance thru insuremytrip and felt I got a better value than the insurance the cruise line offered. Easy to buy also, I did it right over the phone after comparing policies online.

Simply think of all the possible things that might happen that would keep you off the ship. Sickness, death, strikes and mechanical problems (beyond your control) are just a few off the top of my head.

We have booked six cruises and bought the insurance each time. So far, we have had a problem and have made a claim on one of them. Five days before we were to leave, my wife was hospitalized. Instead of losing over $2200, the cost of the cruise, we lost about $190 on the insurance premium.

Should I purchase travel insurance? If so, should I get it from Carnival? Or are there other reputable companies that offer this at a better rate?
See these articles:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseplanning/articles.cfm?ID=87

http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseplanning/articles.cfm?ID=274

I get cruise insurance for only two seasons:

* Outside United States Medical Coverage (may not be included in your regular plan, and definately not through Medicare)

* Emergency medical evacuation

Everything else is just a bonus to me. However, I do not have $30,000+ for a medical evacuation.

I also would not use the cruise insurance policy, as it is very limited and usually offers secondary coverage. I prefer a primary coverage policy. Less headache.

With my luck, the first time I don't carry cruise insurance is the first time they take me off the ship in a stretcher.

We used to purchase our cruise insurance through the cruise lines but learned over the years that we can purchase our insurance ourselves and save money and usually get a better insurance program than through the cruise lines.

As others have said a good web site for figuring this out is http://www.insuremytrip.com

It will ask you for your age at the time of sailing and the cost per person and based on this will give you options for insurance.

Remember that in addition to providing insurance coverage if you need to cancel the cruise for health reasons it provides other benefits such as medical evacuation from the ship. While highly unlikely for most people, all it has to do is happen once and the costs are quite high for that. So, I would look carefully at what the coverage provides to give you a feel for the benefits of the policy.

Keith

We have never bought travel Insurance, But I must say with our cruise just around the corner and everthing that has been going on in the news we are realy thinking about it !

Voyager W. Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT"

Voyager E. Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

Hello,

My wife and I are going on RCCL's Splendour of the Seas (10/29/2006) sailing from Venice to Galveston. I read the boards and researched travel insurance and decided to use RCCL's program. The premium for the RCCL program was very competitive with the major travel insurers especially considering the inclusion of the waiver for pre-existing conditions.

I am not suggesting that you use your cruise line's program but rather, look at your needs and research the issue thoroughly. And do not automatically reject the cruise line's program.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

We have never bought travel Insurance, But I must say with our cruise just around the corner and everthing that has been going on in the news we are realy thinking about it ! QUOTE]

We are not flying to our next cruise, so were not concerned. But if you’re flying, read the fine print or ask directly if terrorism somewhere else in the world but affects your flight is covered.

We have never bought travel Insurance, But I must say with our cruise just around the corner and everthing that has been going on in the news we are realy thinking about it ! QUOTE]

We are not flying to our next cruise, so were not concerned. But if you’re flying, read the fine print or ask directly if terrorism somewhere else in the world but affects your flight is covered.

Thanks ;) . Yes we do have to fly this time and Calif to FL is a long one.

Yes, consider cruise insurance.

No, DO NOT buy insurance issued by Carnival or any other cruise line, travel agency, or airline. What good is the insurance if they go out of business? None! So get it from a reliable independant insurance company.

What are the odds Carnival will go out of business anytime soon? Low.

What are the odds you'll even need the insurance coverage? Low, but slightly higher.

Why bother with any insurance at all if you don't cover most of the reasons you buy insurance in the first place?

Here are 16 VERY important things to consider when buying cruise insurance...

Which company did you book your insurance through? Did they have any problem paying? PLease let me know if there are any special things that I should make sure that the insurance company covers, or a company that is great (or horrible).

Thanks, everyone, for all of the help! :)

Simply think of all the possible things that might happen that would keep you off the ship. Sickness, death, strikes and mechanical problems (beyond your control) are just a few off the top of my head.

We have booked six cruises and bought the insurance each time. So far, we have had a problem and have made a claim on one of them. Five days before we were to leave, my wife was hospitalized. Instead of losing over $2200, the cost of the cruise, we lost about $190 on the insurance premium.

Archived