If you had to choose - Amalfi drive or Capri?

I have to admit this was the hardest decision as far as excursions on our Liberty cruise. However, we chose Capri.

We loved wondering the beautiful streets, and we took the tram up for a beautiful view. We enjoyed our day there!

The hydrofoil was easy, no problems at all.

We have done it (a couple of times) and also used several other combinations of trains, buses, hydrofoils and rental cars. There are a couple of issues with this type of plan. Keep in mind that most of the stores (except for the real touristy shops) will close in Sorrento from about 1pm - 4pm. This is pretty common throughout Italy, although there are some exceptions in the major tourist areas such as Capri. The hydrofoil service between Sorrento and Naples does have some major gaps the schedule so you might want to also consider that you can take the train from Sorrento back to Naples (it takes about an hour).

Hank

We did the Amalfi Coast drive with a private driver week before last and it was wonderful! I totally agree that a drive in a van or car can get around much easier/faster than a bus tour. It was a great day with lunch in a little shore side restaurant in Amalfi.

I highly recommend Bellantonio Limo Service for your excursions. We were in two groups, one party of six in a van with the owner Paulo as their driver and our party of 5 in a limo with Franco as our driver. The cost for 5 of us in the limo was 350 Euros for the day. We had no concern with them getting us back to the ship in plenty of time! Wish I was going back today. Have a great time! Rhonda

( http://www.bellantoniolimoservice.com/).

It seems most people vote for the Amalfi coast, which is lovely, but I thought I'd post a vote for Capri. It is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen. True, it can be busy and touristy, but the scenery is simply unbeleivable.

When we were recently in Capri we actually talked about the stores that were open vs those closed. There is a street (its towards your left when you get to Capri town) that has a lot of high-end boutiques (kind of like Rodeo Drive) and we noticed that it was a mixed-bag in the afternoon. Many of the stores did close (they reopen around 4) but there were also a few that stayed open all day. However, many of the shops that cater to the average tourist (some of these are quite nice) did stay open thoughtout the afternoon. If you were planning on doing any real serious shopping anywhere in Italy its a good idea to do that shopping from 10 - 1 or after 4. You just never know what you will find open in the afternoon. I should also mention that many Italian stores do not open on Monday mornings or Sundays.

Hank

We just got off the Voyager of the Seas and used Drive Amalfi (*****) while in Naples. All seven of us had a wonderful time doing the Amalfi Coast/Pompeii Private Tour. After going there, I would not even consider the excursion on a big tour bus, they are just too cumbersome. Our driver, Adriano, was warm, friendly, informative and fun. We were able to drive on streets that were not accesible by bus. The coastline is gorgeous and the towns quaint. Just only my opinion.

When I looked up the hydrofoil schedule (http://www.sorrentotour.it/hydrofoilsinfo.html), it seemed that you could take the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri and the from Capri to Sorrento. To get back to the ship, you would take the Sorrento to Naples hydrofoil.

Has anyone done this?

How long does it take from Naples to Capri and from Capri to Sorrento on the hydrofoil?

We did Capri and Positano in one day. We used Nello as our guide. We were on the earlist hydrofoil to Capri. Our guide rented a taxi for us and we went to the Blue Grotto which we thought was a blast. We finished with the Blue Grotto by 10am and we toured around Capri and Anacapri, stopping for a small snack. We took the 12:30 hydrofoil to Sorrento, where we had a driver waiting for us. Both hypdrofoil rides were about 45 minutes. We drove to Positano and had a wonderful lunch with the most magnificant view. We then had an hour to walk around Positano and go down to the beach. The drive from Sorrento to Positano is beautiful and gives you a taste of what the Amalfi Coast is like. We then headed back through Sorrento to the ship and arrived early enough to have a great pizza in a restaurant near the port. It was really a great day. I felt like we were on a time schedule but not rushed.

My family and I went to Naples on the Voyager this past July and we manage to do Pompeii (a quick visit), Ravello, Amalfi, and Positano in one day. My husband and I have been to Naples twice before, but didn't get a chance to visit the Amalfi coast prior. This area is so beautiful and we would definitely recommend a visit here.

We used Italy Limousine (italylimousine.it) and had a wonderful time. Their rates were extremely reasonable, as there were 10 of us and we couldn't afford what other companies had quoted. Our driver(s) knew the area well and we didn't hit traffic at all, so we were able to see a lot for one day.

We highly recommend them. We would definitley use them again in the future. You can contact Josephine at info@italylimousine.it

By the way, we had used them for Livorno (Pisa and Florence) and Rome as well.

Hope the info helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Amalfi Drive for sure, as long as you use a private guide and get into the smaller areas where the buses don't go.

A good private guide (we used Marcello Maresca who was fabulous) will tell you what causes the traffic (buses on narrow roads) and takes a different route.

Sorrento and Positano are beautiful for sure, but so are the many non-touristy villages in between. Here is where you will get a true appreciation for the beauty of the area.

I agree. Positano was defitinely the most beautiful place I saw during our Med cruise. We also had one of the best meals ever at La Tagliata with Mamma Pasta in Positano. We spent three hours in Pompeii, drove in a van on the Amalfi Coast (plenty of white nuckles in the vehicles) and spent time in Positano as well. Just loved it!!

crusana

A friend just returned from her Brilliance of the Seas cruise. She said they took a ship sponsored tour of Capri and Pompeii. She said to forget going to Capri---they spent 3 hours just trying to get to and from Capri. They had to wait in lines for the hydrofoil in addition to having to wait in line for some type of ?escalator up a moutain to get them to the city of Capri

Sorry to be so slow in replying to the question about how long it takes on the hydrofoil, but we have been away traveling. The hydrofoil from Naples to Capri takes about 40 minutes each way....and the slower ferries take about 90 minutes for the same route. From Sorrento, its about 20 minutes to Capri (again it can vary depending on the type of boat). Over the years we have taken hydrofoils and ferries to Capri from Naples, Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi and never had and problems. I agree with the comments about Positano although I am a big fan of our small hotel in Priaiano (Onda Verde) which had a fabulous view (its on the side of a cliff) and is away from all the hussle and bustle. Of course being somewhat remote, its helpful to have a car or you always need to use the local SITA buses.

Hank

I would definately choose the Amalfi drive over Capri and simply love the drive from Positano to Amalfi.On our last visit we spent time in Ravello and Amalfi find the area totally fascinating with some of the best scenery in the Mediterranean.We have twice used Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi who is from Amalfi and knows the area and more importantly the roads like the back of his hand.Salvatore can be contacted by email at *****

Archived