If you had to choose - Amalfi drive or Capri?

We are booking our excursions from the Naples port and are trying to decide between 2. One includes the Amalfi drive and Sorrento. The other, a visit to Capri. I don't think I can decide! Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance!

Both the Amalfi Drive and Sorrento are beautiful (you'll really understand the song "Come Back to Sorrento" after seeing it).

Capri is also very beautiful and very unique. However, for a one day port of call, there are too many logistics that could fail with regard to Capri. The ferries often go on strike, are often late, sometimes don't run because of wind or other weather conditions, etc.

Since both places are unique and beautiful in their own right, if you've never been to either one of them, my vote would be for the safer choice (as far as logistics are concerned), since you will only be there for one day. Also, don't disregard a visit to Pompeii, since it is a very unique, historical place.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I haven't been to Capri, but I concur with the previous poster, Amalfi Drive is beautiful. I would definitely recommend it.

I believe, but could be wrong, that some of my fellow passengers (royal caribbean) did Capri and Amalfi. If that's the case and it can be done, it might be worth checking out some private drivers.

Check our roll-call board for your ship, some of your fellow cruisers may already have organized something that you can join up with.

Frances

Thanks - both excursions also include Pompeii, which is a definite for us and why we can't do both Amalfi and Capri along with the Pompeii. I'll see if anyone from the roll call board is having the same issues.

Delia...Doing all three would be almost impossible . You are not there long enough and do you want to be that rushed in any case ? I disagree with the first poster having been to Italy several times . Logistics ???? The Amalfi Coast is a long drive from the port and more things can go wrong than going to Capri which btw is very doable on your own . You would also save yourselves a lot of money . Everybody knows a little English if language is one of your issues .We were in Capri less than a month ago and took the hydrofoil to Capri . The hydrofoils are just a few minutes walk from the cruise terminal . Once there you would take the funicular up to Capri . You can't get lost even if you tried . The scenery is breathtaking the shopping is fabulous and there are great cafes and restaurants .You can also go to the Blue Grotto and Anacapri . I know the Amalfi coast has its own charm and the views are also spectacular but it is a long way to go when you have such little time . Save it for your next visit when you would have more time hopefully . Strikes and weather are rarely a factor when visiting Capri so don't let that scare you off . If there was a strike you would know it as soon as you got off the ship and you could always go by train to Pompeii and Sorrento .

We were also faced with the same dilemma......we chose Amalfi.

Hired a driver and did some nice..slow touring of the coast starting in Sorrento and going on to Positano, Amalfi and ending in Ravello atop a cliff and having a late,long lunch which was out of this world. So was our choice(the coast).

Since then we've planned to return and do Capri on it's own port-of-call. I don't believe you can go wrong with either choice you make.

Good Luck e CIAO,

Here's a vote for Capri.

When I'm ashore I prefer to be active - walking around, exploring, etc. It seemed to me that the Amalfi drive would be too much sitting on buses (or in a car). Also because of the distance involved, it would be very 'scheduled' - not much opportunity for flexibility.

So we did a long excursion to Capri in June (from Galaxy), and loved it, for all those reasons. We're going again on Galaxy and when we do we'll do Capri on our own and be even more free of constraints.

Here's a link to some pictures I took in June:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2514

We have been both to Capri and the Amalfi Coast. In fact we spent a week at Positano in 2003.

My advice is to work out which day you will be in port for that area. If it is a weekend, then I would forget the Amalfi Coast as it is impossible to drive around that area at weekends.

If it is during the week it is doable. To me nothing beats the scenery of that beautiful coast but you do not want to risk returning to the ship after it has left port.

A couple of years ago some C.C. members were unfortunate in being involved in a traffic jam which went on for hours and they missed their ship by over 15 minutes. They ended up having to get to Athens, without passports, medication etc. It is too big a risk to take and I would weigh up carefully the factors involved.

Both areas are very touristy and you will find people everywhere. If you go to Capri make sure you get to Anacapri and have lunch at one of the restaurants up on the hill overlooking the lovely view. If you do the Amalfi coast again try and have lunch again at one of the cliffside restaurants.

Jennie

Definately Amalfi drive---with a great guide! One who can get you back to the ship on time! he can take you to Pompeii, herculaneum, Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento and of course...my favorite..Positnao!

Nello reached at info@drive sorrento.com

Just back from the Galaxy and we chose the Amalfi Coast. I wanted to fit in Pompeii because I enjoy history, but it meant a very hectic and quick stop in each town. We wanted to experience as much as we could in Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento. So Pompeii was ruled out and I'll do it another time. We chose a tour company AP Tours www.aptours.com Alberto provided us the most memorable day of our two week trip, so I highly recommend using Alberto and his company. It cost 500E for the 8 of us. We would have not have been able to see or do nearly as much as with the ship's tour. If you do use him ask him to take you to the La Tagliata Ristorante in Positano. You will never regret it.

Michael

I had this dilemma when I recently went on my Med cruise (just got back 3 weeks ago). I went back and forth forever as to what to do.

After many suggestions by CC members, I finally ended up choosing to do Amalfi with the ship. I opted against a private tour here for the very reasons mentioned above (traffic, etc.)

I had the most wonderful time. The Amalfi Drive was gorgeous! Someone once told me that since I'm from CA, the Amalfi Drive was like driving along Pacific Coast Highway up the California coast. If you have any idea what this is, and you liked this drive, then go for Amalfi. Pacific Coast Highway has nothing on Amalfi. The Amalfi coast is 20 times better. The views are spectacular and part of the fun is driving along these narrow roads with their switchbacks.

In our 10 hour excursion, we drove the Amalfi Drive, stopped at an inlaid wood factory, stopped at the town of Amalfi, stopped at a nice hotel with a gorgeous view for lunch, drove to Pompeii and had a 1.5 hour guided walking tour. Our tour guide was superb. Extrememly knowledgeable about Italian history, the Amalfi Coast, and especially Pompeii.

Thanks - both excursions also include Pompeii, which is a definite for us and why we can't do both Amalfi and Capri along with the Pompeii. I'll see if anyone from the roll call board is having the same issues.

NCL has an official Hydrofoil ShorEx to Capril / Sorrento / Pompeii....

Doesn't that cover all 3?

NCL has an official Hydrofoil ShorEx to Capril / Sorrento / Pompeii....

Doesn't that cover all 3?

Most ship shore excursions, regardless of cruise line do either:

Capri/Sorrento/Pompeii

or

Amalfi Drive and Pompeii

Due to the distance and time, you can't do Amalfi Drive, Capri and Pompeii all at once.

I would pick Capri because I have been on the Amalfi Drive tour. However, I am an ACTIVE person and the LONG bus ride was too much sitting still for me. The scenery was nice at first, but all the little villages looked almost the same. It is a nice tour for people who like to look at scenery or are not very active. The tour is really a long day on a bus. We made a stop for shopping in Amalfi around 11 then a stop for late lunch (around 2 PM). The tour left at 8 AM so you can see how much bus time there is.

I am going to agree with TomUK and vote for Capri. My reasoning is based on a lot of time in the area (we recently spent a week in Praiano) on both cruises and on land trips. Capri is one of those rare places that is made for a one-day trip..and is also easy to access on your own from the ship. Its only a short stroll over the hydrofoil pier where you can catch the boat for the 40 min journey to Capri. There is enough on Capri to fill a full day, its a great place for those who like to walk, shop, eat, gawk, etc. As to the Amalfi Coast, its a great place (its why we just spent a week on the Amalfi Drive in a great little hotel), has plenty of natural beauty, and also has some wonderful towns such as Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. But, for a one-day trip I think you wind up spending too much time inside a bus or car and do not really have enough time left to really explore the coastal cites and villages. Of course if you do not or cannot do a lot of walking than the Amalfi coast is a nice excursion where you can spend about half your day with your nose pressed up against a bus or car window. But like TomUK, I prefer to be on my feet looking in shops, sitting in cafes, and people watching.

Hank

Amalfi Drive for sure, as long as you use a private guide and get into the smaller areas where the buses don't go.

A good private guide (we used Marcello Maresca who was fabulous) will tell you what causes the traffic (buses on narrow roads) and takes a different route.

Sorrento and Positano are beautiful for sure, but so are the many non-touristy villages in between. Here is where you will get a true appreciation for the beauty of the area.

we did amalfi coast which was crowded, but capri was worse. the wait for the hydrofoils was very long and there were pickpockets casing the line.

If you go when its less crowded maybe you won't have this problem. The tour guy on the ship can tell you how to take the hydorfoil to capri and then take one to sorrento and back to naples. this way you can do it on your own-take a timetable with you-and see a couple of things.

Hi Delia27, if this is your first time to this area I would do Amalfi/Pompeii. It is a gorgeous drive. Last year we did the Amalfi drive with a cruise excursion as it was along day and we did not want to risk missing the ship. The tour was great with ample time in all locations and a pretty good lunch included, a restaurant with a spectacular sea view.

This year, just off Galaxy, we did Capri, again with the ship as it is a long day. It was great, except for an awful lunch. Capri is basically an island with lots of tourists , great views, great shopping. The two tours are different, but if I had not had the opportunity to return to this area, I would have been glad that I saw the Amalfi and Pompeii. There is a ships tour that includes Amalfi/ Capri/ Sorrento that left at 6.30am. For me that is too much in one day.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived