Pinacle Grill Questions

dst

We just found out that our wonderful TA has made reservations in the Pinacle for the first night of our cruise. Can anyone tell me what to expect. This is our first HAL cruise and have never had this exeperience.....

Thanks for your input :)

thanks, it ws nice of her to do but I am thinking we may change the night. I woudl like to meet our table mates on the first night so that on the second night we are not the outsiders......

Is there the same menu every evening, is there anything that we MUST try?????

One option is to set your dining time in the Pinnacle on that first night about half an hour later than your main dining room seating time. That way you can go meet your tablemates and wait staff (maybe even have an appetizer) and then move over to the Pinnacle.

:)

Once you get on the ship make your final arrangements for the first night as the time slots fill up very quickly.

Doubt you can change the evening as your TA made the arragements for the first night when the price is $10 per person. All other nights it is $20 per person.

It is the same menu every evening.

Don't miss the chocolate volcano cake.

:)

don't miss the crab cakes! to die for, especially being from the west coast where we don't get fresh seafood and crab like they do in new england! its great food.

the pinnacle grill though does seem to market itself a bit as pacific northwest fare as that is where HAL is homebased... i noticed that you're from WA so i don't know how thrilled you'll be with that.

but it definitely is really good food. and the service will blow you away. a definite must!

Try the steak and lobster.

Make sure that you dress appropriately. Even on casual nights, everyone gets into resort casual.

The wine list is good.

Leave a good tip for the excellent service you will recieve.

Everytime we dine in the Pinnacle I think it's one of the better meals of my life.

Be aware the surf and turf (the filet and lobster tail) is the smallest portion entre they have. The filet is like 5 oz. and the tail is very petite.

Other entres are up there in size with places like the Palm, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, etc. The rack of lamb was much bigger than the rack served in DR.

Don't miss the calm chowder and hand tossed at your table pear salad.

And crab cakes and volcano as mentioned are up there amoung the best at sea. If you are concerned about missing the main DR meal the first night just do both. For early seating you can have a 9:30PM Pinnacle or for late seating eat Pinnacle at 6PM. Works for me and you don't miss out on something great at the main DR.

I would imagine yes, you could order more than one appetizer, but be aware, that steak if HUGE and melts in your mouth. You will also want to save room for the Volcano cake, YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like chocolate, don't miss the Volcano Cake. It is a chocoholic's dream.

The filet mignon is wonderful and if your arteries can stand the added cholesterol, the rib eye is as good as any we've ever had.

It was very nice of your TA to do this for you. Enjoy.

Thanks everyone, I think we may keep the reservation for the first night and as someone suggested stopping by the table to say hello. I will do the steak but probaby skip the Lobster, being from Boston, I have been spoiled with Maine lobster all of my life......so steak, steak and the volcano cake is where I am headed.

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions.......

If so, that may be why your travel agent made the reservation. There is a special promotion which includes the Pinnacle Grill on the first night.

Vegas Jim - I like your idea of making a later reservation on the first night and going to meet your table mates, waiters and headwaiter first. That gives you the best of both worlds. Thanks for the tip.

Roberta

Someone mentioned earlier that they woud like to take advantage of the $10 price at the Pinnacle on the first night at sea but did not want to miss meeting their tablemates. On our last cruise on the Statendam we ate at the Pinnacle on the first night. We timed our reservation so we were able to go to the Dining Room and meet our dinner companions. We visited for a little while and promised to give them all a review of our experience when we saw them at dinner the next night. Everyone was full of questions the next night and it was a great ice breaker. The dinner was great too.

Sept. 11 will be first time on HAL. Is the Pinnacle Grill on the Maasdam as good as what you described? Can I sign up now for the first night half price special or should I ask my TA to do it? I'm sure we will pay for it, because we used an internet TA.

is the pinnacle the only place to try the volcano cake?
Not sure about the other choices, but the Baked Alasaka was out of this world.

Here is the link to a photo (full size image) I was able to take during the presentation of the dish on the Statendam in February 2004.

http://raffinorgangrind.textamerica.com/?r=875230

George

Baked.jpg.f56a7e1e7fb06fe7c2a4189676a6c5e7.jpg

Pinnacle is the only place on board the ships that serves Volcano. There is a flourless chocolate cake some like which served in the dining room but it is not Volacano and IMO cannot compare.

I think that Maasdam's Pinnacle has evolved to very good. It took a few cruises for it to get up to par after it was built and opened last November but by the time we left from our back-to-backs, it had gotten to very good. We'll be aboard next week and surely will dine there. I'll let you know our opinion when we return.

Yes....you can pre-book it anytime prior to your cruise. Call Ships Services. Have your confirmation number available and your credit card. They will pre-charge your credit card and a confirmation card will be in your cabin when you board the ship.

All

On the O last week the Pinaclle was the only place for the V cake. You can do surf and turf but they cut down the turf portion. That is ok though as you get plenty of food. Chowder was super and the Pinnacle filet was the best(12 OZ). You can chose up to a 21 oz porterhouse if you desire. We made early reservations so we could be with our table mates for the late seating (they had lobstertail that night) so I did both and that about finished me eating wise for the last two days of the cruise. Did not see many children if any but I am sure they are welcome. It seems to be a very quiet romantic type place with extemely attentive wait staff. Have fun.

Jerry

I'd rather pay the $20 extra and go another night (or two). In my experience, the pax that don't show up in the main DR the first night never fully recover from last place on the social scale. Breaking into a table where 6 or 8 passengers have already somewhat bonded is tricky, especially when they know you prolly had a better dinner than they did!

Now that they don't serve Dover Sole any more, I go on Dutch Night.

1/2 price.. so its only $10 per person... as well as some of the best food you'll ever taste! you'll love the pinnacle grill! the food is wonderful and the service is even better!

I'd rather pay the $20 extra and go another night (or two). In my experience, the pax that don't show up in the main DR the first night never fully recover from last place on the social scale.
Our solution to a first night dinner reservation on the Statendam to Hawaii (15 day cruise) was to show up at the dinner table and meet our fellow guests and excuse ourselves for our reservation. They were glad to meet us early and wanted us to enjoy our half-price reservation for the first night at sea. We had one of the three couples at the table that only appeared for two nights and that was also fine.

Our upcoming Westerdam cruise is setup for a table for two. A little more romantic.

George

Archived