Condition Of Staterooms On The Millennium

cip

My wife and I are going on the Millie's Med cruise Oct 5-17, 2006 from Barcelona to Venice.

We will be in Cabin 8141 in Concierge Class.

She is a "clean freak" and is most concerned about the reportedly shabby and worn condition of the Staterooms.

It is difficult (although it shouldn't be) to get a complete and correct answer to the question in the Title of this thread.

From the Reviewsa and posts, the concensus seems to be that the Public Areas are in great condition, with clean carpets, drapes and furniture with everything being pretty much in"Ship Shape"!

However, I have read many reviews that point out what a wonderful experience a cruise on the Millie was EXCEPT for the very noticeable wear and tear of the furnishings in the cabins.

Such things as badly worn, dirty and stained walls, carpets, bedspreads, drapes and furniture. As well as broken and chipped toilet seats, dirty and torn shower curtains and even some talk of mold and dirt in the bathrooms and showers!!! YIKES!!!!

In other words, in a condition that most people would NEVER allow their own house to deteriorate to!!

On the plust side, I then read that the Millie is due to have (or has already had) at least the bedding (specifically the bedspreads) replaced in all cabins within the past few months. Can anyone confirm that rumour?

It appears as though Celebrity has let the Millie go a bit too long between refurbishments of the cabins, although, as I noted, it seems that the Public areas have been better maintained.

Management of Celebrity has to get alot of negative feedback from passengers re this unsitely situation, as well as seeing it complained about on the Cruise Message Boards.

Celebrity is so customer oriented in all other ways, it is hard to believe that they would just let the cabins "go to seed" on their M Class Flagship like this!

I have told my wife about all of this and she has come close to cancelling our "dream trip" because of these maintenance issues...I need to be able to tell her something so that when she gets to our stateroom and opens the door to look inside she will NOT have a surprise (Unless it is a pleasant one, of course!:) )

Does any recent Millie passenger have a more definitive answer to these questions:

1. "What is the condition of the cabins on the Millie at this time"

2. "When is a major stateroom refurbishement scheduled" (if one is at all)?

Thanks for any input anyone may have.....

Sincerely

Chuck (worried about catching hell from my SO!!!)

Yes, I understand that some cabins could be in better/worse condition than others.

However, it seems to me that most cabins would be in somewhat similar condition, unless some of them have been refurbished recently and some have not?

I am looking for responses of a general nature regarding any cabin, rather than being fortunate enough to hear from someone who has just sailed in Cabin 8141!

Chuck Proche

Hi,

I was in CC 8045 from 26 May and found the cabin to be in good condition. The only fault I found was the backing at the bottom of the mirror was falling off in the bathroom, but that did not effect us at all. Watch out for the hairdryer hose in the bathroom, lots of those seem to have holes in them. I always point this out to the cabin steward, or call reception to tell them, and its always been replaced within an hour. The same goes for the shower curtain. If you have any major problems contact the hotel manager onboard. They will get things sorted fast. I guess the more of us that do this the more they will get these things sorted before we see them. As for cleaning, our cabin steward made a very good job of keeping our cabin immaculate.

Have a wonderful cruise on Millennium. I can't wait until 10 November.

Ian :D

Hi Cip,

I was in Cabin 8146 on my recent Millenium TA Cruise ( 30.4.2006) . So this is very close to your cabin, mine was NOT CC , but had a nice balcony- a triffle bigger then the others in the same Kathegorie, according to the lines of the ship. I loved every minute of this cruise, I love Millenium since was on board in her inaugural season. My cabin was exeptionell clean and well maintained. I would say that is partly a matter of how your cabin attendent is doing his job.

Only complain is in fact the worn out toilett seat- clean, but worn out. They really should change them in time instead of waiting until the seat, the passenger included is falling off... Sorry for beeing so blunt!

But I would NEVER NEVER cancel a cruise because of this- Millenium is a great ship!

Greetings

Michael

Hi

We stayed in the PH Suite on our cruise on Millennium in May this year. Our table companions were all in CC cabins and we heard no complaints whatsoever. I wrote a review of the whole cruise which you may, or may not! find interesting as it covers the same itinerary but starting in Venice.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=19487

DO NOT CANCEL - honestly you will have a wonderful wonderful time, the ports of call are amazing and Millennium is fabulous.

Dear Cip,

Do not cancel your cruise on the Millennium!! The itinerary really can't be beat. We sailed on the Millennium in June of this year from Barcelona to Venice and had a fantastic time. The ports are incredible!!

We took several of the shore excursions offered through Celebrity and they were all terrific as well. We particularly enjoyed the Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii excursion in Naples. It was very well done. The scenary was absolutely beautiful and the the lunch in Sorrento was so good and charming (the wine flowed freely I might add!).

The food in the dining room, the shows, and the service overall were very good.

Now ....with regards to the staterooms. We had a Royal Suite with a connecting CC class cabin. I did think the furnishings could stand to be updated (particularly in the Royal Suite). I actually thought the CC class cabin seemed better maintained. I do think that updating the bedding will definitely "spruce" things up.

I must agree that the Millennium staterooms could use some refurbishment sometime very soon. We have sailed on the Constellation and the Infinity and thought that the staterooms seemed fresher on these two ships (of course they are newer).

As far as the bathrooms, I will say that our Royal Suite did have mold in the shower ....but the CC class cabin did not.

I like your wife am a super "clean freak". While the staterooms did seem a little worn, our cabin attendant worked really hard and did a good job of cleaning our staterooms. I did not think that the rooms were filthy dirty by any means. (just in need of a little TLC)

Bottom line is that we had a terrific time and I definitely would not cancel ...you will be missing out on the trip of a lifetime. I do also think that if the new bedding is in place it will help to "freshen" things up. If you do have any problems, and the cabin is not cleaned to your liking, I would talk to your cabin steward. I am sure they will be happy to do what needs to be done to make sure you are satisfied.

Finally, the public rooms are in fine shape.

Go and enjoy ....you will make memories that will last a lifetime.

Nancy

I was in Millie cabin 7000 in april '06 and saw no mold, nor anything broken or showing obvious signs of wear and tear. I dimly recall a chip in the glass bar, or maybe the floor around the bar, in Cosmos lounge, but otherwise, public rooms were pristine.

I understand that mattresses were being replaced on many decks during the August 6th cruise of the Millennium.

See thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=400539

Celebrity announced in the spring that the Millennium would have new bedding, including Egyption cotton linens, by the end of 2006. I haven't heard anything recently about the linens being replaced yet, but hope that is underway as well. It would be great if they were done in time for your October cruise!

CIP,

We sailed in two cabins on the Vista deck week of August 6 on Millie (Venice to Barcelona) and had a wonderful cruise. Overall, our cabins were very clean, but there were a couple of signs that showed that it was not a brand new ship. These things did not bother me (and I'm a neat freak too!), since I knew that Millie is not new and I would expect some evidence that there have been people in my cabin before me : ) As I have already reported, I saw new mattresses in hallways during the day, so you may find new bedding.

In our staterooms, I found that the bedspreads and towels were either new or well-maintained. We had a few tiny spots of mildew in our shower, which I really did not let bother us. The little couch in our cabin had a small spot where I could tell the upholstery had been patched (probably a burn hole repaired). The sheer drapes at our sliding glass door to the balcony had a few pulls in it. No stains on carpeting, walls or upholstery and sinks, toilet, shower were all in good condition. One of our friends had a FV cabin and was unhappy with mildew on her shower curtain...it was replaced within minutes.

Soooo, are the cabins pristine and perfect? No, you can tell that Millie has been around a few years, but we found everything to be extremely clean and the small worn items in our cabin were not gross or bad enough to affect our cruise experience.

Your itinerary is fantastic and the Millie is a beautiful ship! Prepare your lovely wife for a clean, but not perfect stateroom, request new shower curtains or extra cleaning from your cabin attendant as needed and just relax and enjoy!

Lynne

We were on the same cruise as the previous poster and have to agree with all she stated. We were on deck 6 in a verandah cabin. Our cabin was kept immaculately clean at all times and we saw minimal signs of wear. Yes, the bedspreads are a little tired looking and the carpet could have been shampooed in a few spots but the bathroom was clean with no signs of mold or mildew.The cabin stewards were very attentive and responsive to whatever few requests we had. The public areas were in very good condition as the crew was constantly cleaning. They are very aware of the spread of infection with hand sanitizers everywhere for both passenger and crew use. The atmosphere was extremely friendly and helpful from all of the crew. It is a wonderful cruise with lots to see and do....you'll have a great time. Don't cancel over a fear that it will not be clean enough for you. I too am compulsive about cleanliness and felt it was more than acceptable.

My experience on Galaxy and Mercury have been much the same as the above two posters. Not brand spanking new, but always clean and being cared for.

I think Lynne makes an excellent point about her friends in an FV cabin. If there is something that is not right, tell your cabin steward straight away. My experience is they are always willing to do whatever they can to put things right. Don't let it fester (kind of a bad turn of phrase:o) and grumble afterwards. If it's not put right to your satisfaction, ask to speak to the assistant Chief Housekeeper for your deck.

Phil

Archived