upgrade fairy is alive and well

farkle

We're leaving tomorrow on Oosterdam and just got an e-mail from HAL informing us of an upgrade from VA to SA. We are thrilled, we've never had a suite before!! A great way to start our vacation. Wishing you all a visit from the upgrade fairy too!:)

We're leaving tomorrow on Oosterdam and just got an e-mail from HAL informing us of an upgrade from VA to SA. We are thrilled, we've never had a suite before!! A great way to start our vacation. Wishing you all a visit from the upgrade fairy too!:)

Congratulations - that's a great upgrade and I hope that you have a wonderful cruise while enjoying your suite.

I doubt sincerely that the Upgrade Fairy is going to pay me a visit any time soon, but one can always hope!:D

Valerie:)

thanks, I know we'll have a wonderful cruise. I still can't believe our luck in getting the upgrade. We are Mariners...this will be our 4th cruise with HAL.

That is great!! It just goes to show that the UpGrade does not always favor First Time Cruisers so there is always hope for all of us. You are really going to enjoy the Oosterdam. She is my favorite ship and cannot wait till we return for our 4th cruise on her next March.

Bon Voyage and Enjoy Alaska:)

You know, I have read in a number of places that one of the main criteria the UF uses is NOT whether you are a Mariner or a First Time Cruiser -- not how early you booked ...

But actually that upgrades go to those who have paid the most for the category they are in! It sort of makes some sort of fairness sense ..

Now that raises some interesting questions. Does getting an upgrade mean you used the wrong TA in the first place? Should you rejoice in the upgrade or begin to wonder if others in the suites actually paid even less than you did? Are upgrades going to cause sleepless nights among the cost counters??

'Tiz a puzzlement!

>:-)

Thanks everyone. I'm not wasting time questioning the reasoning, prefer to rejoice in the upgrade and just have fun!!!!!!!! I kept reading about this happening with others, now it's our turn and it could be your's next time!

We had been on the Oosterdam previously and loved the ship. We did book a specific room originally, but the unasked for upgrade to the SA will be fantastic.

Alaska here we come!

That is wonderful; you are right not to question why, but just to enjoy!!! I don't think any of us have a clue as to why. As a TA I have never been upgraded but have had customers who have booked the lowest possible rates and ended up on deck who knows. A couple of times have had clients book using various discounts like military, or interline and had them updgraded to mini suites or balconies: some on guaranteed cabins, some assigned, some first timers, some frequent cruisers on a particular line. It does appear HAL is one of the better lines at upgrading.

Again enjoy and let us know how everything turns out. We can all dream.

Nita

......But actually that upgrades go to those who have paid the most for the category they are in! It sort of makes some sort of fairness sense ..

I agree with this analysis. I booked a VF for my upcoming trip and paid absolutely bottom $$ (I paid less than an Inside and my son as a 3rd person only had to pay the taxes) so I should not be holding my breath.

On the other hand, I am also travelling with my parents and in-laws who both booked a VF guaranteed. My only hope is that if they get upgraded, they will drag us with them due to the linked booking files.:D One would only hope.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

We're back now from the Oosterdam and Alaska and believe me.....our upgraded suite was SWEET!! Fabulous!! I do think HAL has a sneaky reason for surprising people this way....you have such a wonderful time in your SWEET suite that you prefer that type of travel from then on, regardless of cost. So, the joke's on us! We always cruised in a veranda cabin but this was much different in so many ways and the Neptune Lounge was extra special. All in all the best cruise yet and Alaska was beautiful once again. I can only wish you all a surprise upgrade, don't give up!

We're back now from the Oosterdam and Alaska and believe me.....our upgraded suite was SWEET!! Fabulous!! I do think HAL has a sneaky reason for surprising people this way....you have such a wonderful time in your SWEET suite that you prefer that type of travel from then on, regardless of cost. So, the joke's on us! We always cruised in a veranda cabin but this was much different in so many ways and the Neptune Lounge was extra special. All in all the best cruise yet and Alaska was beautiful once again. I can only wish you all a surprise upgrade, don't give up!

Welcome Home, Ahh Yes, I know that Suite Bug. Once you get it you can never return:D Kind of like the Cruising Bug.

So glad you enjoyed your Sweet Suite:)

We're back now from the Oosterdam and Alaska and believe me.....our upgraded suite was SWEET!! Fabulous!! I do think HAL has a sneaky reason for surprising people this way....you have such a wonderful time in your SWEET suite that you prefer that type of travel from then on, regardless of cost. So, the joke's on us! We always cruised in a veranda cabin but this was much different in so many ways and the Neptune Lounge was extra special.

I think HAL is truly doing a remarkable marketing job. I for one was blessed enough to get an unexpected upgrade (at the pier, a inside changed to an outside). After that, my wife would never settle for a cabin without a bathtub. Then we got a balcony cabin and would never go back to an outside (OV) cabin.

I really believe if we were upgraded to a suite (from a balcony cabin) on our next HAL cruise in November, we would never settle for less on our next cruise. So, I think in the long run, HAL can count on us to purchase higher and higher cabin class once we get to experience it first hand… Very smart in my book.;)

John

farkle,

I am so glad you had a wonderful cruise in your lovely suite.

I too would love an upgrade but will be happy with what we booked, which is a verandah. We are going for 34 days and a suite would have been a little too extravagent considering we have quite a number of cruises and vacations a year but an upgrade at the last minute would be heaven.

I daresay you are now hooked on the "suite life" and won't settle for anything less. I do think HAL knows the way to a woman's heart!

Jennie

Last Christmas on the Zdam we booked the lowest inside guarantee (always do - we can cruise more often). It was our first time on HAL and we didn't pay much considering the Holiday. Walked in to register and was informed I was upgraded to a VA (deluxe verahdah). If you count all of the letter designations it is about 21-23 categories. I know most of the categories are just down the hall or up a level etc. but from lowest guarantee to the best room I have ever cruised in! Definitely good marketing on HAL's part. I enjoyed the cruise immensly and now always check HAL when going on a cruise. I like HAL and Princess - Celebrity is over rated for the price.

If you want an upgrade book the lowest possible cabin - you have know where to go but up :)

I know many cruises like a certian cabin type etc. for us it is great just to get to go!

Archived