Prince William Sound cruise vs Kenai Fjords Cruise

cruisingw/mom

What are the differences in cruising the Prince William Sounds and the Kenai Fjords day cruises. Do you see the same wildlife? do both have glaciers? We are looking at the following:

1) Kenai Fjords out of Seward with Renown

2) Prince William Sounds out of Whittier with Phillips 26 Glacier cruise.

Thanks

Both have glaciers and depending on how far your boat goes, Prince William Sound has more of them. But for wildlife, it's Kenai Fiords hands down. Last time there, saw a pod of orcas from 30 feet away, humpbacks, a 1000 puffins in a group! Was fabulous.

We did Prince William Sound, and saw no wildlife, the glaciers were the main focus. Think I'd prefer to the Kenai Fijords, if I were to do it again.

Depends on what you really want to see more of, animals & wildlife or

the glaciers. Have fun.:p

Just returned from Seward and took Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park tour with Major Marine! Excellent trip. Both my husband and I said it was one of the highlights of the 2-week trip we made to Alaska. Can't speak for Prince William Sound. Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park tour offers glacier viewing for the day-long trip, but 1/2 day doesn't offer a close-up of glacier. You do get to see other glaciers. Lots of wildlife and endangered species of birds and gorgeous scenery. Have a great trip!:)

This is a good point and exactly what we thought. We left out of Whittier so we took the PWS wilderness explorer 6 hour cruise at the above website. They brought us in on motorcoach from Anchorage so we didn't need ship transfers. They also brought our luggage to the ship while we were on our tour - big plus for my family of 5. Our focus for Alaska was glaciers and this trip did not disappoint. From what I've read, I think this is your best chance to see some calving as well. We also were fortunate enough to see a couple humpbacks, lots of otters, salmon, seals and eagles. Good luck deciding - it's all part of the fun!

This is a good point and exactly what we thought. We left out of Whittier so we took the PWS wilderness explorer 6 hour cruise at the above website. They brought us in on motorcoach from Anchorage so we didn't need ship transfers. They also brought our luggage to the ship while we were on our tour - big plus for my family of 5. Our focus for Alaska was glaciers and this trip did not disappoint. From what I've read, I think this is your best chance to see some calving as well. We also were fortunate enough to see a couple humpbacks, lots of otters, salmon, seals and eagles. Good luck deciding - it's all part of the fun!

Glad to know you enjoyed the 6-hour cruise, as that is the one we'd most likely take. I knew there was roundtrip transportation available from Anchorage, but didn't know if you could book it just one way. I suppose as long as the number of people getting on a ship in Whittier after the PWS cruise equals the number gettting off a ship before a PWS cruise - it will be ok.

From what I've read here, it seems some people are anxious to get off their ship in Whittier, rent a car, and then drive to SEWARD to go on the Kenai Fjords cruise - completely missing what they could see in PWS! Doesn't make sense to me.

From what I've read here, it seems some people are anxious to get off their ship in Whittier, rent a car, and then drive to SEWARD to go on the Kenai Fjords cruise - completely missing what they could see in PWS! Doesn't make sense to me.

The Prince william sound cruises mostly view Glaciers. If you want to go on a fishing charter then its worthwhile from Whittier. Otherwise, there is nothing there. (Nancy, Valdez is a much preferable place to view the sound from. There is a town there at least)

The Prince william sound cruises mostly view Glaciers. If you want to go on a fishing charter then its worthwhile from Whittier. Otherwise, there is nothing there. (Nancy, Valdez is a much preferable place to view the sound from. There is a town there at least)

We very well may go on a Columbia Glacier cruise out of Valdez next summer. :) Having said that - I've heard that this particular PWS cruise is very lovely - as it sails through Esther Passage and to Surprise Glacier: http://www.princewilliamsound.com/579.cfm

Just flew over Esther Passage and Prince William Sound yesterday afternoon and it was stunning. Have been on both PWS and Kenai Fjords trips numerous times and both are outstanding. It is true that you will probably see more wildlife on the Kenai Fjords trips but the focus on the Whittier tours is the glaciers themselves.

Yes, the Columbia Glacier trip is run by Stan Stephans Cruises out of Valdez. He is one of the original tour operators in the sound and is highly knowledgeable on the area.

As glaciers go, Columbia is more floating ice than anything else but the bergs can be impressive. The glacier has receded so rapidly that you can't even get to the face anymore. Still, the eastern area of the sound is worth a trip and different from the tours from Whittier.

I love wildlife, but it is so hit-or-miss up there. I would much rather plan on a sure thing (glaciers) and be pleasantly surprised if I happen to see wildlife, than plan on wildlife and end up being disappointed by seeing neither.

If you are going on a cruise through the glaciers, do Kenai Fjords. The animal sitings can't be beat. It was the best "excursion" (independent) on the entire trip - and we spent 2 weeks, 1 on land, 1 on cruise. We did see a calving glacier close up on the 6 hour KFT tour (Ailuk? - not sure of spelling) as well. And we really got to hear it thanks to being on a reasonably small boat, as opposed to being on the ship.

The animal sightings included - orcas (a lot of them very close), seals and endangered stellar sea lions, eagles, puffins, murre (look like small penguins), one otter, and more. The views were incredible. I can't say enough positive about them.

How does the Columbia Glacier tour compare to the PWS cruise out of Whittier? Do you know?

As Chenega has posted, you go to Columbia for the ice, the size of buildlings as you rarely get within sight of the actual glacier. I've been fortunate to have gone to both areas several times with the boat tours out of Whittier, definately being the winner for glaicer views in my opinion. Stan Stephen's out of Valdez should be looked at for the VARIED aspect of the tour, not the glacier. If glaciers are the priority, definately out of Whittier.

But all these are distinctly different to warrent going on them all, which I do. :) Kenai fjords are probably my proirity for the varied wildlife bonus with the extended glacier viewing. A significant reason to get there from Whittier, if of interest.

• 7 years later...
If you are going on a cruise through the glaciers, do Kenai Fjords. The animal sitings can't be beat. It was the best "excursion" (independent) on the entire trip - and we spent 2 weeks, 1 on land, 1 on cruise. We did see a calving glacier close up on the 6 hour KFT tour (Ailuk? - not sure of spelling) as well. And we really got to hear it thanks to being on a reasonably small boat, as opposed to being on the ship.

The animal sightings included - orcas (a lot of them very close), seals and endangered stellar sea lions, eagles, puffins, murre (look like small penguins), one otter, and more. The views were incredible. I can't say enough positive about them.

it was a choice between PWS and Kenai Fjords but since we're boarding the ship in Anchorage for the Voyage of the Glacier itinerary (Glacier Bay and Hubbard) I think you've sold me on Kenai Fjords for the possible chance at more wildlife! Thank you!