Basic Questions about SPF and Skin Protection

Leo Jay

I usually NEVER spend time laying out in the sun, so I'm completely uninformed about skin protection issues. I went to buy sunblock yesterday for my Carribean cruise, and I think I saw stuff from about SPF 8 to SPF 50. I had NO idea what to get. So I have a few basic questions, if anyone can help:

A higher SPF means more protection, so why would anyone use a lower SPF?

I know there's a formula that estimates -- based on the SPF -- how long you can stay out without getting burned, but don't you also have to factor in the intensity of the sun? Also, protection from burning doesn't necessarily mean you're not getting overexposed, right? Even if you don't burn, can't you still be at risk for skin damage/cancer? How do you know how much sun is too much?

:(

One brand (Banana Boat, maybe?) had a regular version in SPF 15 and a version for babies that was SPF 40. Is there any reason an adult can't use a 'baby' version? What's the difference?

I've heard that some islands require you to use PABA-free sunblock. How do you know if it's PABA-free? None of the tubes I looked at made any reference to PABA either way.

:confused:

Does brand really matter, or for any given SPF are they all pretty much the same?

Any info would be appreciated. :confused:

1. Higher SPF creams are usually very hard to rub into the skin, its what the folks with white noses and necks are 'wearing' when you see that effect on the ship. Some people don't like that, also some people still want a tan and not full and complete protection. Some folks don't need as much protection as others, and can use a lower SPF.

2.All sunscreens must be re-applied regularly to remain effective, usually after 2 hours in the sun or anytime after going in the water. But the general rule of protection is that the SPF factor is how much longer you can stay out RELATIVE to how long you could stay out without protection. So yes, the sun intensity is a factor, as is your skin type. Say you are very pale, normally your skin turns a bit pink inside of 5 minutes. With SPF 8 you could stay out 20-30 minutes ( 8 x 3 or 8 x 4) before your skin starts to pink up. Or if you are olive skinned and can stay out 20 minutes without any noticeable effect, then an SPF 8 would allow you almost 3 hours of protection (but you still have to keep in mind the re-application limit of ~ 2hours).

3. Yes, usually vacation sun is more 'intense' or at least more reflective than sun exposure at home. You should start out conservatively, and then 'move up or down' as needed. A good rule of thumb is to start out assuming the sun is twice as intense as at home (so use double your normal SPF factor). If you have no experience with sun, just start out assuming you need a fairly igh protection and work your way down. Yes, this does mean you will have to pack more than one sunscreen. Many folks use one level for their bodies and another for their faces/necks/ears.

4. Many sunscreens protect against both UVA and UVB rays. If you specifically are looking for protection from both, be sure to read the label.

5.An adult can use a baby product, in fact, many with sensitive skin do

6. Nope, not all the same, some have PABA, some don't (although many are moving away from this ingredient), some protect UVA and B, some just UVB. Some irritate sensitive skin for one reason or another, others don't. A few are biodegradable, most are not. Some are 'waterproof/sweatproof' (not really, but they are at least resistant to wash off), some are not. You have to read the fine print ingredient labels to find out what each contains.

Lastly, I would suggest you start with a 30 SPF at a minimum. That usually works well for most people, but do remember to re-apply. Don't stay out in the sun a lot for the first day or so, and yes, you will probably get a light tan using that over the course of a week long cruise.

Thanks for the very thorough reply.

Do most creams that are PABA-free advertise that on the package? None of the creams I looked at seemed to have it listed as an ingredient, but none of them seemed to indicate "PABA-free" either.

The FDA is taking a long look at the Sunscreen industry and it's prodoucts right now. For example, many screens may be effective with UVB rays but not UVA rays. The difference between the 2 is (I may have my A's & B's mixed up) UVB's affect the surface of the skin while UVA's penetrate the skin and as a consequence, can be more dangerous. Probably the maximum SPF factor to buy is a 30. Anything higher is probably a waste of money as a 50 offers something like 5% max. greater protection.

Hi Jay:

Here's a little information. First, SPF stands for "Sun Protection Factor." The number is a multiple, such that for persons of average skin complexion, SPF 2 gives them twice their body's own protection, SPF 8 gives them 8 times, etc. As for what number to buy, it depends on several factors. First, if your natural complexion is exceptionally light, you want to go with a higher number. A dark-skinned person has more natural protection, and thus needs less from a sun screen. Also, it depends on how much time you plan to spend in the sun. The longer the exposure, the more protection you will need. The American Cancer Society recommends people use at least SPF 15. But even for the lightest skin complexion, anything beyond SPF 45 is superfluous. On the other hand, if you are going to be out for only an hour or two, and if you are interested in tanning, you could go with something less than SPF 15, especially if your natural complexion is darker. In any event, I don't recommend buying a high-priced sunscreen because it promises exotic ingredients, exceptional tanning, or ultra protection. Chances are you will be wasting money. Then again, don't buy more sunscreen than you will use in 12 months. Sunscreen products can destabilize over time, so you should not use old product.

Personally I buy Coppertone Sport SPF 15 sunscreen. It is waterproof and sweatproof, which means I don't have to worry about reapplying it, regardless of my activities. It also promises UVA/UVB protection. Also, for what it is worth, it is PABA free, as stated on its label.

On the question of PABA, the only reason you should be concerned is because some people, in rare cases, have had allergic reactions to it. I have never heard of it being "banned" on some Caribbean islands, but my best guess is that there may be a concern about getting adequate medical attention to someone experiencing a severe reaction. If you are unsure about whether a sunscreen has PABA, and if you are uncertain whether you might be allergic, then try putting a small amount on your forearm while still at home. See what happens after a day.

I hope this helps!

Paul

Leo Jay--One used to see "PABA free" on an advertising star or splashed across the front of the container a couple of years ago. Since more and more companies have removed this ingredient, it is less of an advertising hook. As long as it is not listed as an ingredient, then you don't have it in the suncreen. Incidentally, the usual chemical name is Para-Aminobenzoic Acid.

Hi Jay:

Personally I buy Coppertone Sport SPF 15 sunscreen. It is waterproof and sweatproof, which means I don't have to worry about reapplying it, regardless of my activities. It also promises UVA/UVB protection. Also, for what it is worth, it is PABA free, as stated on its label.

Paul

I'm in the sun a lot at work, so I use sunscreen every day. Since it is only for minutes (I'm at a school, so it is for recess) I usually go with a 15 spf, for a day at the beach, it is 30. I use a completely different product on my face as it is extremely sensitive to most sunscreens. After years of experimentation, Clinique provides me with the best, it is their Superdefense moisturizer.

You've gotten some great advise here. I'll only add that I mark the date I open the bottle with a felt tip pen and discard the bottle after one year, it really does lose its effectivenenss.

And, my comment to Paul is that while the sunscreen may be sweat and waterproof, it is not towel-proof. If you dry off with a towel, you really should re-apply.

I'm one that doesn't really believe that a darker color skin is safer from the sun. African Americans or Hispanics can be sunburned. If you are outside for any length of time at all, you should protect your skin.

It's great that we are in an age where we know these things. I think in the future not only will people not wrinkle so much, skin cancer may be reduced. I'm one day hoping that people will start to see tanned skin as what it really is, skin damage, rather than "a healthy glow".

I'm one that doesn't really believe that a darker color skin is safer from the sun. African Americans or Hispanics can be sunburned. If you are outside for any length of time at all, you should protect your skin.

Hi Kathy:

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually did a lot of research on this question a few years ago for a workplace wellness workshop. And while it is true that African-Americans and Hispanics (Latinos) and other people who tend to have darker skin can get a sunburn, my point was to say that the lighter your complexion, the greater your risk. People with naturally dark skin tones may find the following quote from the American Cancer Society website to be of interest:

"Besides skin cancer, the sun's UV radiation also increases the risk of cataracts and certain other eye problems, and can suppress the immune system. And although dark-skinned people are generally less likely to get skin cancer than light-skinned people, they are susceptible to cataracts and immune suppression."

Then again, this quote reminds us to not only consider our risk based on skin tone, but that sun safety involves more than applying the right sunscreen.

Personally, you will not find me out by the pool, lying in the sun for the sake of baking myself. I don't recommend that for anyone. (It also saves the frustration of dealing with chair hogs!) On the other hand, I do want to enjoy what the outside world has to offer. So my strategy is to put on sunscreen, put on UV-blocking sunglasses, and limit my sun exposure time.

Finally, lest we become completely paranoid, it helps to remember that a little sun can be beneficial. It stimulates the body's production of vitamin D.

- Paul

LJ,

As noted in cherylandtk reply #3. In the Caribbean you are going to be closer to the equator. That means more direct sunlight. Add to that as mentioned the reflective factor. Everything on the boat is white, very reflective.

We use 30 and water resistant and make certain to reapply often. Having a base tan does help, but nothing beats covering your skin. I've seen people burn with shirts on. A hat is also a very good idea.

When I used to sail in the Caribbean I needed sun protection almost all the time, until I darkened.

I guarentee that you will see by day 3, some very red people.

vincenzo:)

Well, I'm dark-skinned and never lay out in the sun, but I think sunscreen would be good idea just to protect the back of my neck and legs while I try snorkeling for the first time. :eek: GF on the other hand is quite fair and really enjoys the sun, so she probably needs a higher SPF. Thanks for all the info!

Well, I'm dark-skinned and never lay out in the sun, but I think sunscreen would be good idea just to protect the back of my neck and legs while I try snorkeling for the first time.

I am also dark skinned(Sicilian), and I have a base tan, but I expect to burn once we get further south, unless I use the sunblock.

I grew-up like most kids my age, down at the Jersey Shore every summer. Sun Block??? Didn't exist. We used baby oil.

Never burned...Not until I went to Hawaii. I finally found out what all the fair skined people were crying about.

Boy did that hurt.

After that, I needed sun block when in the Islands.

Any time you get closer to the equator, you have a better chance of burning.

But, Once I have a heavy base tan, and I mean heavy, I usually start easing off the sun block and go to a light moisturizer.

Now, The one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is what to do after.

Aloe, Aloe and more Aloe. Aloe with Lidocane or without, depending on how well done you are...

Don't leave home without it.

vincenzo:)

I have a medium olive complexion, but I seldom spend time just sitting in the sun. I get too hot! I still wear sunscreen because of the reflective factors that other posters have mentioned - even in the shade you can get some color, whether tan or red.

For snorkelling, I intend to wear SPF 30-45 AND a T-shirt to protect my back, at least for the first few days. I had a full shoulder burn, complete with disgusting blisters, as a child in the 50s (before we knew better) and have NO desire to repeat that event in this lifetime! DH is as fair as they come, so I may swim behind him carrying an umbrella!:eek:

I recall reading on CC that at least one Mexican town bans certain sunscreens in certain water areas because they pollute the water, degrade the coral reef or have some other environmentally undesirable result. Of course, I can't remember which town, but you might find it on the Mexico Ports of Call threads. I believe you can purchase "allowable" sunscreen there, but don't know if the price is through the roof because of captive consumers.

Hi Kathy:

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually did a lot of research on this question a few years ago for a workplace wellness workshop. And while it is true that African-Americans and Hispanics (Latinos) and other people who tend to have darker skin can get a sunburn, my point was to say that the lighter your complexion, the greater your risk. People with naturally dark skin tones may find the following quote from the American Cancer Society website to be of interest:

"Besides skin cancer, the sun's UV radiation also increases the risk of cataracts and certain other eye problems, and can suppress the immune system. And although dark-skinned people are generally less likely to get skin cancer than light-skinned people, they are susceptible to cataracts and immune suppression."

Then again, this quote reminds us to not only consider our risk based on skin tone, but that sun safety involves more than applying the right sunscreen.

Personally, you will not find me out by the pool, lying in the sun for the sake of baking myself. I don't recommend that for anyone. (It also saves the frustration of dealing with chair hogs!) On the other hand, I do want to enjoy what the outside world has to offer. So my strategy is to put on sunscreen, put on UV-blocking sunglasses, and limit my sun exposure time.

Finally, lest we become completely paranoid, it helps to remember that a little sun can be beneficial. It stimulates the body's production of vitamin D.

- Paul

Yup, usually darker skinned people do have more natural protection from the sun but they can and do burn. The American Cancer also notes the fatality rate of black skinned people from malignant melonoma (only 5% of all skin cancers) is much higher than light skinned people due in part to the difficulty in spotting the subtle changes in skin/mole etc. colourations in time.

One thing my hubby complains about is the smell of the sunblock so I have found that Neutragena has one with a better (almost no) smell - as I'm fair skinned - and in the islands it doesn't matter as the sun will BURN - I use a 45 SPF. You do not want to deal with sunburn on your vacation! :cool: Been there done that and don't want to do it again! :eek: Debbie

A point not mentioned yet is the top of your head. Any skin exposed to the sun on top can burn. Wear a hat or get a spray that will cover the exposed skin.

I just spent 6 weeks on the beach in South Carolina. I got a tan without ever burning. I wore 45/50 sunblock (Ocean Potion) all the time on my body. In the past, I've used it on my face. Found they had a clear zinc oxide product now. Used it this year and managed not to walk around with a red nose all summer.

Be very careful of the sun on your cruise. It can be brutal. You are better off erring on the side of caution.

I usually NEVER spend time laying out in the sun, so I'm completely uninformed about skin protection issues. I went to buy sunblock yesterday for my Carribean cruise, and I think I saw stuff from about SPF 8 to SPF 50. I had NO idea what to get. So I have a few basic questions, if anyone can help:

A higher SPF means more protection, so why would anyone use a lower SPF?

I know there's a formula that estimates -- based on the SPF -- how long you can stay out without getting burned, but don't you also have to factor in the intensity of the sun? Also, protection from burning doesn't necessarily mean you're not getting overexposed, right? Even if you don't burn, can't you still be at risk for skin damage/cancer? How do you know how much sun is too much?

:(

One brand (Banana Boat, maybe?) had a regular version in SPF 15 and a version for babies that was SPF 40. Is there any reason an adult can't use a 'baby' version? What's the difference?

I've heard that some islands require you to use PABA-free sunblock. How do you know if it's PABA-free? None of the tubes I looked at made any reference to PABA either way.

:confused:

Does brand really matter, or for any given SPF are they all pretty much the same?

Any info would be appreciated. :confused:

I am fair and if you are looking for one of the best sunscreens that really work buy Water Babies. You will not get burned unless you miss a spot when you put it on and then you will get burned. It's made for children and it's an excellent product. Cost about 9.00 and found at Walmart or just about anywhere. One word of warning is DO NOT get it in your eyes because it will really sting. ;)

• 1 month later...
Hi Jay:

Here's a little information. First, SPF stands for "Sun Protection Factor." The number is a multiple, such that for persons of average skin complexion, SPF 2 gives them twice their body's own protection, SPF 8 gives them 8 times, etc. As for what number to buy, it depends on several factors. First, if your natural complexion is exceptionally light, you want to go with a higher number. A dark-skinned person has more natural protection, and thus needs less from a sun screen. Also, it depends on how much time you plan to spend in the sun. The longer the exposure, the more protection you will need. The American Cancer Society recommends people use at least SPF 15. But even for the lightest skin complexion, anything beyond SPF 45 is superfluous. On the other hand, if you are going to be out for only an hour or two, and if you are interested in tanning, you could go with something less than SPF 15, especially if your natural complexion is darker. In any event, I don't recommend buying a high-priced sunscreen because it promises exotic ingredients, exceptional tanning, or ultra protection. Chances are you will be wasting money. Then again, don't buy more sunscreen than you will use in 12 months. Sunscreen products can destabilize over time, so you should not use old product.

On the question of PABA, the only reason you should be concerned is because some people, in rare cases, have had allergic reactions to it. I have never heard of it being "banned" on some Caribbean islands, but my best guess is that there may be a concern about getting adequate medical attention to someone experiencing a severe reaction. If you are unsure about whether a sunscreen has PABA, and if you are uncertain whether you might be allergic, then try putting a small amount on your forearm while still at home. See what happens after a day.

I hope this helps!

Paul

As for the islands wanting Paba Free is due to the sea life being affected by the Paba. Have read that some beaches are checking your lotion and making you purchase paba free from them... Just waht I have read!

Xel-Ha in Mexico sells sun block to their patrons - they don't want you to use anything but what they sell. Also, anyone swimming with the dolphins is usually asked not to wear any sun block, sun screen, suntan lotion at all.

My dh & I are both very fair and have made it through all but one of our cruises and warm weather vacations without getting burned - once was enough.

We bring enough sunblock with us that we could cover the inhabitants of a small island. We start out with 45-50, waterproof, usually one No-Ad brand and one water babies one. We use that until we run out, reapplying every hour or more frequently if we are in the water or sweating. The next one we use is 30 - we usually bring two or three with us and by the time we have used up the stronger, our skin has gotten a little brown tan base. I usually bring a 15 with us, but the only cruise we used it on was a 17 day one.

On board ship and in tropical countries, we try to remember to put the sun block on before we leave our cabin/room, not after. After, with the sun so close, is too late. Also, when you apply it in your room, you can leave your room without a white paste on you ;). It does become transparent after a short amount of time.

Also, if I'm out for more than about 2 hours, I usually end up putting a tight weave tee shirt on and cover my legs with a towel.

If you are laying out on a lounge chair, don't forget the bottoms/tops of your feet, and the backs of your knees.

Archived