**ALASKA** Advice on Best Cruiseline

ozland

We are wanting to book an Alaskan cruise for July, 2007. Our only absolute requirement is a balcony. Is it better to do a longer cruise (rather than a 7-day)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For your first Alaskan cruise I would do a 7 dayer. The best line in my humble opinion for Alaska would be Princess. Depending on your likes and dislikes, HAL is another one that offers some very good Alaskan cruises.

If you want to sail in and out of Seattle then give NCL a try.

These are just a few suggestions. Why not call a good agent that specializes in cruising.

NMnita

newmexicoNita:

A call to a good TA is definitely an option--but that will be *one* person's advice and there are so many well-travelled cc'ers here that I thought it would be a good start.

There will probably be a number of family members joining us, some from another state, none who frequent the boards on a regular basis, so I thought I'd start out as the *preliminary information gatherer*.

(Although I hesitate to even say it, I've not found a good TA here as yet -- consequently, I have booked all of our cruises on-line myself.)

Any particular reason you recommend a 7 dayer?

There's really not an option that I'm aware of on the mass cruiselines offering more than 7 days at the moment, unless you wish to sail out of California. Last year NCL offered a longer cruise...

Are you going to have the opportunity to visit interior Alaska? If not, a round-trip out of Vancouver offers itineraries which include the same port stops and glacier visits offered by the one-way cruises. The exception is College Fjord glacier sailing, as it's too far north. If you visit interior, consider pros and cons of planning your own land-tour as opposed to a cruiseline cruise-tour.

Do you prefer more ports, or more glacier sailing days? I prefer itineraries with at least two glacier sailings... things can and DO happen, and if you miss your only one, well... it's beyond disappointing especially if it's your first visit to Alaska!

We've sailed Princess and Carnival to Alaska. My family favors Princess in most respects, but Carnival does offer a wonderful naturalist. Balconies on Carnival Spirit ('05) were about the same cost as oceanviews on the Sapphire Princess ('06).

I've been the *Primary Information Gatherer* (PIG???), also. I like it, because in the end, I get the most 'say so'!;)

BTW, isn't it great this Oklahoma 'heat wave' has finally broken! I'd've loved to have been in Alaska the past couple of months...

sym1966:

Love the acronym (PIG). It's a dirty job but someone has to do it . . .;)

Yes, I'm so glad it is no longer over 100 degrees -- and the grass if back to being it's normal green after all the rain.

To answer your questions: Since I'm a great fan of *sea days* I'd say more glacier viewing days would be wonderful. My one major requirement would be a balcony. We don't have the numbers of family members confirmed as yet -- my SIL and I just decided this yesterday morning! Now we have to convince others, who are less likely to make decisions this far in advance, that they need to . . .:)

My daughter may go with us so we would book the cabin for 3 knowing she may cancel out -- therefore our cabin would need to accommodate the 3 of us. I know HAL's standard balcony cabin will do that -- Princess' doesn't have a sofa in their standard so if we went with them we'd get a mini. Have done four Carnival cruises -- two were good and two were bad experiences so I'm not sure I could convince DH to try them again. (We are easy to please -- these were serious, endangerment situations that were not beyond their control.)

Beyond all that -- we would like to know if one side of the ship is better than another for viewing. Is it better to book shore excursions through the ship or are there particular ones cc'ers would recommend booking independently? Hey, we'll take any info. you can give us. This part of the country is unchartered territory for us. We have always gone WARM before.

SIL and I are good at researching but information/tips/advice from those who have *been there, done that* is so much better.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later but I'll send this out now since it is getting quite long.

BTW -- it is sunny and warm in Tulsa today but I can handle the 80's -- such a cold spell . . . :D

Thanks for posting!

This thread was moved to "Ports of Call" although I'm actually asking for information on cruiselines that go to Alaska, not about Alaska itself . . . hopefully someone will notice that I'm still wanting information, advice, and suggestions on ships/cruiselines and post here. Thanks!

Alaska itself is the reason to cruise there, so this is the appropriate board for your question.

If you like sea days/glacier viewing days - you might like the northbound Pacific Princess. It begins in Vancouver and sails to Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord in the morning/Juneau afternoon and evening, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, and ends in Whittier. That's the cruise my husband and I will be on in June 2007.

For help choosing an Alaskan cruise, check out the "Fun Facts" here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=1

We've taken 2 cruises to Alaska now - one 12-day R/T from San Francisco and the latest a 7-day N-bound from Vancouver. We prefer Princess as we just like their professionalism. It's a matter of price and what you're looking for as far as picking a cruise lines and you will find that everyone has their preference. As for length suggestion, we actually prefer the 7-day. We felt we spent more time cruising and not seeing enough ports on the 12-day cruise. Don't get me wrong - we enjoyed both cruises - but felt we got more sights on the 7-day. In any case, you'll enjoy the sights. They're even more spectacular than what people tell you and pictures try to portray.

sym1966:

Love the acronym (PIG). It's a dirty job but someone has to do it . . .

To answer your questions: Since I'm a great fan of *sea days* I'd say more glacier viewing days would be wonderful. My one major requirement would be a balcony. ...my SIL and I just decided this yesterday morning! Now we have to convince others, who are less likely to make decisions this far in advance, that they need to . . .

My daughter may go with us so we would book the cabin for 3 knowing she may cancel out -- therefore our cabin would need to accommodate the 3 of us. I know HAL's standard balcony cabin will do that. Have done four Carnival cruises -- two were good and two were bad experiences so I'm not sure I could convince DH to try them again. (We are easy to please -- these were serious, endangerment situations that were not beyond their control.)

Beyond all that -- we would like to know if one side of the ship is better than another for viewing. Is it better to book shore excursions through the ship or are there particular ones cc'ers would recommend booking independently?

If you're taking a round-trip, the side of the ship won't matter. We had port side on our SB balcony Carnival cruise, and starboard NB oceanview Princess but if we were somewhere especially spectacular, we were top front anyway! Except for the small amount of cruising the gulf on a one-way, beauty is on both sides, as you're sailing between mainland and numerous islands.

We enjoyed our glacier sailing days, choosing a Princess itinerary for that reason. One less port, but fabulous scenery.

I've never booked excursions through the cruiseline. The most wonderful of all excursions we've taken was a small boat from Juneau to Tracy Arm. Beautiful icebergs! Much more spectacular than those we've seen elsewhere in Alaska. Most itineraries don't have port-time in Juneau to allow this, as it's an all day excursion. Carnival does, but we will not sail Carnival in Alaska again unless it's a huge bargain... they boarded us on a previously damaged ship, but didn't inform us until the following morning when we were well out to sea, changing our itinerary dramatically, and not for the better!:rolleyes: Anyway, the fact that Tracy Arm is available on the Pacific Princess is a huge plus for that ship, in my opinion. I think small boats are best there, but the Pacific Princess is smaller than many other ships and may offer a good alternative. It also has Hubbard glacier as NancyIL pointed out.

One excursion I 'wish' we'd had jumped on... a great price on the Misty Fjords flightseeing tour with Island Wings out of Ketchikan. After seeing other's pictures, I do have regrets.

We thoroughly enjoyed renting a car at Skagway and crossing the border into the Yukon Territory. Beautiful drive. Friends have taken the train,and loved it, others the horseback tour, and even others the rock climbing (not for me!)

These boards will give you an idea of the many, many fantastic excursions available, both through the cruiseline and idependent. I personally favor independent.

Our cruise was sold out early... 2 families finally got around to joining us in time, then another wanted to, but by the time they decided, the ship was fully booked. Sailing was still about 10 weeks away at the time. Hope your folks don't wait too long!

Well, golly, I've got to pack... we're off to Branson for a few days, and leaving our 'young men' at home for this trip. Grandparents for neighbors is a good thing!:)

Fall is (almost) in the air!

I did the 7 day cruise on HAL from Seward to Vancouver in '99 (last minute for like $750) for a window outside cabin. While we saw all the typical ports, Sitka, Glacier Bay, Juneau, and Ketchikan, for the second cruise I wanted to see more interior Alaska. Again I chose HAL, we will cruise Northbound from Vancouver, do Tracy Arm, Juneau and Skagway. We depart the ship at Skagway and go inland, Whitepass Rail/coach to Whitehorse, Dawson City, river cruise to Eagle, coach to Tok, coach to Fairbanks, dome train to Denali, dome train to Anchorage. On HAL (with a balcony) it's a 3 day cruise/8 day land tour and cost us $2700 pp (including air). On Princess (with a balcony) for a 7 day cruise/4 day land tour was going to be $4400 (including air). Both do an excellent job in Alaska. Actually Princess was the first to start doing Alaska, then HAL followed shortly after.

Really depends on what you are looking for. HAL was the only cruiseline I found that actually did the Yukon on into Interior Alaska. Most do Denali, Anchorage and Fairbanks, then you can add on Kenai, Barrow or Nome or Arctic Circle. But I wanted to see the Yukon too. In the olden days, the Yukon always seemed to be part of Alaska, but today it's Canada. Princess owns lodges at Denali and McKinley, I'm not sure if they own the hotels you stay at on the rest of the land tour, but HAL does. They own Westmark Hotels throughout Alaska, and even own the Raptor Center in Sitka. I really enjoyed that, it's run by volunteers. I even thought about volunteering to work there, but I have such limited vacation time, and there are so many other places to see. Both Princess and HAL have their own railcars for the ride from Anchorage to Denali. While the other cruiselines do land tours also, I don't think they own the different venues as Princess and HAL does.

Another poster somewhere on this board suggested making a list of what you want to see and do, then start looking at the different cruiselines/itineraries and see which one does the most of what you want to do, for the budget you want to spend.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise. Alaska is beautiful and you will have a great time whichever line you choose.:p

This thread was moved to "Ports of Call" although I'm actually asking for information on cruiselines that go to Alaska, not about Alaska itself . . . hopefully someone will notice that I'm still wanting information, advice, and suggestions on ships/cruiselines and post here. Thanks!

I've just reviewed the Island Princess on these Alaska boards and highly recommend Princess! Read the review as is might answer your questions! I'd go with a longer trip (landtour) since you'll be spend alot of $ just flying to Alaska. we really enjoyed the two weeks. We loved our balcony and gave suggestions about them.

Eileen

I've just reviewed the Island Princess on these Alaska boards and highly recommend Princess! Read the review as is might answer your questions! I'd go with a longer trip (landtour) since you'll be spend alot of $ just flying to Alaska. we really enjoyed the two weeks. We loved our balcony and gave suggestions about them.

Eileen

Eileen: Thanks for the recommendation. As you will see in my signature, we have already booked HAL. The decision was made jointly with other family members yesterday. . . :) I plan on reading your review however to get some ideas, should we decide to change. Ya just never know!

Thanks to all who replied!

We booked the Zuiderdam (various reasons) and are now happily reading through this, and other threads, on Alaska and shore tours. Now that the "logistics" are out of the way, this is the fun part . . . :)

Thanks to all who replied!

We booked the Zuiderdam (various reasons) and are now happily reading through this, and other threads, on Alaska and shore tours. Now that the "logistics" are out of the way, this is the fun part . . . :)

I think the Zuiderdam and Zaandam (same itinerary - different departure day) have the best roundtrip itinerary out of Vancouver - so you made a good choice! Enjoy the planning. :)

Budget Queen,

Hope this works, this is the link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_America_Line

They actually own Gray Lines Tours also, I forgot that one. So many things behind the scenes that people never hear about. I believe it was you that posted on these boards about Westours but maybe not, anyway that was what started me to researching HAL and all they own.

Thanks for all your wonderful advice and insight.;)

Budget Queen,

I just received a reply from HAL, they do not own the Alaska Raptor Center. They are a major contributor and there is a plaque at the Center that names them, but they do not own it, so Wikipedia is wrong. Just wanted to set the record straight.:p

Budget Queen,

I just received a reply from HAL, they do not own the Alaska Raptor Center. They are a major contributor and there is a plaque at the Center that names them, but they do not own it, so Wikipedia is wrong. Just wanted to set the record straight.:p

I have been a long time member- about 10 years. Always was nonprofit and never any mention of HAL "ownership". Thank you for the information- as you know I feel very strongly about keeping posts accurate.

Princess owns lodges at Denali and McKinley, I'm not sure if they own the hotels you stay at on the rest of the land tour, but HAL does. They own Westmark Hotels throughout Alaska, p

Can anyone comment on the differences between Princess-owned hotels and the HAL-owned Westmarks? Is there a difference in quality? Comfort? Better locations? Better views? Better amenities? Better restaurants?

We will likely do a cruisetour with HAL (most likely due to the itinerary being best for us) or Princess (second most likely).

Regardless of what others may think, the caliber of the hotel will be important to us.

I haven't read or seen much mention of the hotels in HAL's literature, whereas Princess seems to really have them featured front-and-center in its marketing lit. So it makes me wonder if the Princess hotels are much nicer?

Any comments are appreciated.

JRoeT

Westmarks are very nice hotels. The Denali Princess, at best is Holiday Inn. :) If the lodging is so important, you may want to make your own choices and duplicate a cruisetour routing?? Never expect anywhere near the caliber of 5 star in Alaska, it pays to lower your expectations overall and enjoy the beauty of Alaska.

Archived