Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

• 1 month later...

Recent trip on the Mariner o/t Seas:

I pretty much knew what to steer clear of, not expecting 3 star Michelin cuisine on a mainstream line but notable disappointments were:

- Cheesecake that tasted oddly of Peas (was good for the first 3 days.)

- NY Strip Steak that was very thin, and overcooked

- Cow's Milk Feta in the Greek salad. (still not terrible though.)

- The Ceasar salad was good from room service, but not in the dining room.

Other than that, I was pleased with the food and found that common dining sense kept me from selecting any questionable items.

Next time I am going to make it a point to check out Portofino and/or Chops Grille.

-n8

MSC Lirica. Awful. Cheap baguettes on plate every night - no basket. Ice cream made from powder - all tasting the same, just different colors. Rack of lamb was all fat. Actually lost weight.

Oceania was nothing to write home about and we have found two RCI ships to have just barely OK food. Same with Norwegian. Old Crown Princess had been in last place until Lirica came along: lobster served burned on one side, frozen on the other, "egg" bread with neon stripes of yellow food coloring. Good grief - pretty bad when they can't even get the bread right.

HAL has been good (Prinsendam and Westerdam) but the best so far was Carnival Glory (1-12-08). The Legend inaugural was excellent also with, by far, our favorite waiter: Tivo.

Did not like Carnival warm chocolate melting cake.

You are probably one of a small minority in this. Did you feel that the dessert was prepared properly and it just wasn't as good as others have reported. Or, as one or two others have reported, did you think the one you got was poorly prepared?

One dessert I wasn't crazy about was a piece of cake, can't even remember what kind-maybe banana, that was on the light-menu. It was light alright. As I have told my friends, this time around I am not going to try the light-desserts this time around I don't think. Only the real creamy good stuff please.

5 time carnival cruisers here.

we know the "hand lotion" dessert. something with lavender in the name. just awful. we kinda get folks to try it as a joke...lol

also tried the lamb 2-3 times and i think the sauce ruins it. i've had lamb in land restaurants & loved it!

sometimes our buffet timing is bad as far as freshness/dryness.

never really had a complaint about any other food onboard. 98% love it!

We had carrots every single meal, in every shape and size that was frozen, I kid you not. Only veggie they had other than plain lettuce salad wedge on a plate. The waite staff didn't help either. The Caribe was just out of drydock. Never take any of those cruises, half the facilities were unusable, but you get what you pay for. I was our cheapest cruise, never again, but the ports of call were great, getting to them was another story in itself.

The Caesar salad in the dining room on the Carnival Triumph was one of my worst dining choices. Tasted fishy. :eek:

I did get one bad warm chocolate melting cake. It was too runny. I asked for one that was cooked a little firmer and it was my favorite dessert in 20 cruises! :D

Our last cruise with NCL Pride of America...........I had to send back two meals (never done that before) The dish was some kind of Chicken Tai noodle I think. It tasted like sawdust, there was one other thing that got sent back but I can`t remember what it was. One morning, I ordered a Belgium Waffle with Banana sauce. I asked if they had anything other than the banana sauce and the waiter said "we got syrup" well that should have been a clue then It came and it resembled an enemic looking "Eggo" except that would have tasted better than what I got.

My poor Hubby wanted an toasted English muffin at the buffet and the girl refused him one saying they were only for people wanting Eggs Benadect! He finally got the manager to get her to give him one but after she had said no to him first as well!

The Caesar salad in the dining room on the Carnival Triumph was one of my worst dining choices. Tasted fishy. :eek:

Traditional Caesar does have a slight salty fish taste due to the anchovies. Many Caesar preparations appear to go light or eliminate them altogether due to the fishy taste.

On our first cruise with Carnival I hated the hot dogs, Chinese and Indian foods. I got the feeling who ever cooked them had no idea what they were cooking.

On the 2nd. cruise the Chinese and Indian were fantastic. I was talking to one of the crew and it came out that the cook was from China. I sent back the tomato and mozerella salad as the tomato was a greenhouse and not fresh. When the tomato is the star of the salad it has got to be fresh. And one time I did not read the menu carefuly and everything I ordered was smoked. That was my own fault and had nothing to do with how it was cooked.

* I got a kick out of the 'savory bites' (I think that was the name)...I purposely tried one because of the raves I've read on this forum...can't imagine what was so wonderful...it ws like a 3 week old bagel...yuck!!!

I love the Savory Bites!!! Maybe you just had a bad one. If you are expecting soft bread, then it is not for you.

I had the Shrimp Ravioli once on RCI, don't remember which ship. Nasty!!! I should have know not to order it, because when the waiter was going over the dinner selections, he didn't even mention it. Well, I ordered it, and when he came back to check on us, he didn't even have to ask if I liked it. He just asked which other entree would I like him to bring! Lesson learned- always listen to your waiter.

I had the Shrimp Ravioli once on RCI, don't remember which ship. Nasty!!! I should have know not to order it, because when the waiter was going over the dinner selections, he didn't even mention it. Well, I ordered it, and when he came back to check on us, he didn't even have to ask if I liked it. He just asked which other entree would I like him to bring! Lesson learned- always listen to your waiter.

I had the Shrimp Ravioli too and it was the nastiest selection I've had on ANY cruiseline! I was trying to remember what it was called when I first came to this thread, but all I could think of was nasty brown noodle stuff!

One dessert I wasn't crazy about was a piece of cake, can't even remember what kind-maybe banana, that was on the light-menu. It was light alright. As I have told my friends, this time around I am not going to try the light-desserts this time around I don't think. Only the real creamy good stuff please.

I haven't had the light Banana cake yet. Will have to keep my eye out for it as I love the diet cakes, Coconut and Orange ones so far.

Food I've been disappointed in, only because of the way they turned out this one cruise. Carrot cake on the buffet in Lido restaurant. It tasted too much of shortening and little else, plus, it was heavy. Chocolate fudge on the chocolate buffet in Lido restaurant. My mother loves fudge so we split a sample of it. The fudge was gritty from undisolved sugar and it was too soft.

Lamb on Sovereign of the Seas...fatty, filled with grizzle and chewy with no taste what so ever...tasted like it had been lying around in a steam tray for about four days...returned it and received an OK baked chicken dish...can't remember what it was...so it wasn't too bad...but the food on the sovereign has always been very disappointing...hence I don't travel on Sovereign any more...

I thought of another one, though this is personal preference. I love coffee, but not coffee flavored deserts. There have been time that I got something in the Windjammer that looked delicious and CHOCOLATE, just to take a bite and taste COFFEE! I really need to make sure to read the signs carefully. I do think it should be a crime to contaminate good chocolate like that.

Egg plant parm on Princess was runny, cold and no taste. But thanks to my wonderful waiter who said if I did not like it I could try anything else. I discovered the Fetticuini Alfredo in a parm bowl. WONDERFUL

For me, so far, it was the "curry vegetables" at the buffet on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas. Horridly underseasoned in every way shape and form.

From my 7/8/7 AOS cruise review:

I want to finish tonight’s entry by elaborating why I am disappointed with the other food choices on board. One should never blindly criticize without reason. As I look back on the less than stellar eating experiences, other than Portofino, I now realize why my comments were so negative and truth be told, it is for one reason only: taste. The other galleys put out food that has nice presentation and are certainly properly cooked. However, that food is bland. It has no taste of any kind and is reminiscent of baby food. At times, those dishes hinted at what they should taste like but always failed to achieve their goal. It is as if the galley staff has been forbidden to use the proper amounts of salt, pepper, and - most importantly - spices to create their dishes. Case in point, today at lunch I had a curried vegetable mix. The “curry” sauce barely hinted of the strong, spicy, and pungent smell a true curry dish should have. I cannot find fault if I don’t like a properly professionally prepared dish because of my own culinary taste failings. However, I can accuse of incompetence a professional chef that purposely kills the spirit of a particular dish. However, I suspect this isn’t the chef’s decision but one handed to him by some landlubber, culinary challenged, corporate lackey.

And I'm actually cruising the AOS again in October. What was I thinking???

• 3 weeks later...

When we were on a NCL some years back our waiter was from Jamaica, he strongly suggested I try the Jerk Chicken, I did, and I hated it. If I remember right I kind of moved it around my plate, ate the other things and lots of bread and had something later in the evening. I really didn't want to hurt his feelings.

• 1 month later...

For me when cruising I prefer beef and seafood over pasta and chichen for dinner. We found that both to be tough and rubbery in the Noordam dining room all week long. Wether it was steak, prime rib, lobster or crab legs not good. The lido food was fresh and tasty for breakfast ,lunch, and late nite snacks.Even room service was better than dining room. We were very disappointed with HAL's dinners/dining room, very happy the rest of the day.