Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

• 3 weeks later...

My food hate on ships is the NUKED bacon Princess serves up at breakfast. Crunchy is not the word for it. SUPER NUKED is the word.

Sun Princess is currently in Australia as Dawn Princess soon will be. I am on Sun Princess next month, just hope the bacon is cooked to the Aussie style, just a little crispy, not NUKED.

Cheers..Les:cool:

On the Apr26,2008 sailing of Azamara Quest, they had "soft shell crabs"

listed on the dinner menu one night. I got real excited as these are my favorites.Well, what was served, was far from a soft shell crab! I would have choked trying to eat it, the shell was so hard.They have no idea what SOFT is, that you're supposed to be able to eat the whole thing. I

thought that I had just gotten a bad one until I heard a woman complain-ing about it the next day on a tender.She returned hers to the kitchen;

wish I had done the same.

• 2 weeks later...

On our cruise in 11/05 the NCL Dawn's Sprinkles poolside icecream stand offered something they described as "pumpkin"; my DW LOVES pumpkin desserts, but this, we agreed must have been made from pumpkins concientiously watered with toxic waste!

Also, the much-vaunted Salsa Mexican Restaurant/Tapas Bar scored a big zero with us--the hot foods were served cold and the cold foods were lukewarm. We passed on this venue after a few unpleasing bites and moved on to the Venetian Room for dinner that night.

The Impressions dining room was pretty but the service was a horror--it took multiple tries to get the orders right, and one of our party had his Manhattan cocktail served with two olives:eek: --definitely a taste adventure!

On the positive side, we managed well on our excursions to the buffet deck, and enjoyed the Indian lunch which offered four entrees and warm naan. They even managed to produce a jar of chutney for me when I requested it--I recommended they try to keep some standard types of Indian pickle on hand. The Venetian dining room (aft) was well-served, the waitstaff was very helpful, and the food was quite acceptable. My dw, who is vegetarian, did manage with the assistance of the helpful Venetian Room waiters, to find enough items to make a decent meal out of on a regular basis.

Also, I found the Bimini Bar and Grill overlooking the pool to have some fairly good munchie-type food--fries, fish, burgers, etc.

Everything we had on CocoCay was unpleasant. The hot dogs and burgers were tough and overcooked. The potatoes in the potato salads were undercooked. All the food was the same temperature, lukewarm, whether it was supposed to be cold or hot. The fruit punch was watered down.

The veggie burger on Princess. It inevitably arrives charred on the outside and still cold on the inside. It's more a liquid than a solid, as one bite will cause it to start oozing out of the bun. Visually, it's appalling -- a sort of muddy color with mysterious flecks of bright green and orange. And the taste is indescribable, a musty combination of damp cardboard and old parsley. Clearly a recipe developed by the Beef industry to prevent the spread of vegetarianism.

:eek:

ROFLMAO!!! OMG, yes, I've tasted a few Vege/Vegan things that I swear are "planted" by the beef industry to turn away people from eating healthy!! :p

That just made me laugh out loud...

• 3 weeks later...

"calzone" on Enchantment of the Seas (mind you this was back in June, 2000).

The "calzone" was almost empty, had about 2 tablespoons of filling and was wrapped not in pizza dough (which is how EVERY calzone I've ever eaten has been prepared) but in puffed pastry.

I tasted it and then started to move it around on my plate. The waiter saw this and then two minutes later arrived with a steak (since I had one the night before and he knew I loved it). Great waiter!

Rob

Leaving for Enchantment, again on July 7!!

Fried chicken on Carnival Liberty. It was supposed to be southeren fried chicken and it wasn't. I wanted some fried chicken on the cruise so bad. When I came home from the cruise all I ate was Popeyes and KFC.

Jerk pork! Our waiter was from Jamaica and suggested I get it. I had a really hard time eating it but didn't want him to feel bad by saying I didn't like it - he went on and on about how good it was and it was something he always had at home.

I agree with this one. The jerk pork loin I had in Carnival Triumph's dining room was just horrible, this one I couldn't gag down. I had other dishes that were just so-so, and some really good ones, but this wasn't one of them.

Fried chicken on Carnival Liberty. It was supposed to be southeren fried chicken and it wasn't. I wanted some fried chicken on the cruise so bad. When I came home from the cruise all I ate was Popeyes and KFC.

The fried chicken on the Conquest wasn't very good. Other than the drumstick, most of the pieces were totally unidentifiable. I swear that one strange piece I got was nothing but ribs & skin. A piece that appeared to be part of a thigh was undercooked.

The worst was ice cream on Azamara Quest. I had read a review that raved about it, but something happened.:confused: I tried several of the flavors and all tasted like sorbet, even what was supposed to be frozen yogert (sp) tasted like a slurrpy from 7-11:eek:

The best was on Celebrity. Each night our water would recommend 1 or 2 dishes which were always excellent. One night he just said "I recommend everything but the fish"! :) We skipped the fish that night!

Ew! I think they had that when we sailed on the Inspiration too! I had forgotten about it, but I do recall trying something like that. Needless to say most of it stayed on my plate. It's been too long to recall what it was served with though. Anyone else experience this particular taste sensation?

After college 4 of us toured Europe for 3 mos. Two had been there before and had not eaten escargo, so we made a pact to try them. Toward the end of our trip we said it's now or never, since we were in a pretty good resturant in France so we ordered a dozen & 4 plates. The waiter thought we were nuts as most people have a dozen each. When they came we each took a bite at the same time and ALL of us said "I'll take yours if you don't want them".:)

I have never had as good on a ship, although they come close.

Escargot on the ncl spirit. It was in windows dining room and it was served with :eek: pesto sauce.

Our waiter even said it was gross. He didnt know why they served it that way in the dining room and with butter in Le Bistro (fee to dine).

Laura

(Fee to dine):rolleyes: Why else:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Emerald Princess, May 2008--Beef Wellington--the beef was spongy as if it had been soaked in water or frozen too long. I just couldn't get it down!!! Gag!! Also a cold Cucumber soup---the waiter looked doubtful when I ordered it and he cheerfully exchanged it when I admitted he was right. It was off their Spa menu--you'll lose weight alright!!!! As others have said--trust your waiters!!!!

Oh I have to reply here. The fish and chips on the Liberty, absolutely inedible. There was so much hype over it, and we were soo disappointed.

I haven't sailed on the Liberty, but any fish and chips - or mixed seafood and chips - that I've had on a ship were never good. I've sworn never again! Think I'll remember that? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find one dessert in the buffet areas that wasn't pumped full of air or topped with slimy frosting made with cheap shortening (i.e. not butter).

I love a good cheesecake. Love it. But I have to say, you won't find one on board this Carnival cruise! What they tried to pass for cheesecake was a sugary, foamy brick cut from a sheet.

I know, I know, you get what you pay for.

I'm actually a little glad the desserts weren't all that good. I could have really done some damage.

I think the cooks did a nice job on a lot of the buffet entrees and sides. I wouldn't categorically dismiss buffets as previous posters have. Just buffet desserts on Carnival. ;)

The "shrimp cocktail" that's always available on NCL (Dawn). I made the mistake of ordering it the first night, and it looked like it'd come out of a can. And I practically needed a magnifying glass to see the "shrimp".

Actually, any "scallop" dish, as well. Again, TINY TINY TINY. Their "scallop salad" had three scallops about the size of dimes. Maybe I'm spoiled since I go to culinary school, but that's not exactly what I think of when ordering scallops.

Most of the food was very unmemorable...and me and my boyfriend agreed that while we were always full, we were never satisfied. It was like we were eating just to eat.