Informal in the DR - Food not Dress

mafig

I know what to wear in the dining room on informal nights.

However, is there anything special served in the dining room on those nights? Reason for question, we will probably make our Pinnacle reservations for one of those evenings, unless, of course, I'm told there's something not to miss going on in the dining room.

Our cruise is a 10-dayer and is supposed to have two informal nights.

I know what to wear in the dining room on informal nights.

However, is there anything special served in the dining room on those nights? Reason for question, we will probably make our Pinnacle reservations for one of those evenings, unless, of course, I'm told there's something not to miss going on in the dining room.

Our cruise is a 10-dayer and is supposed to have two informal nights.

That's a very good question! We usually book our PG reservations during informal nights but have missed "Dutch night" in the Dining Room the last two times we did that:( I would either call Ship's Services in Seattle and see if they can help you and/or go see the Dining Room Manager (or staff) when you get on board before you make your reservation. If all fails, ask the Front Office staff on board. Have a great cruise!:)

Yes ... this is an excellent question!

I have generally discovered that the dutch night (such as it still is ... they've stopped giving out the hats :( ) is usually on an informal night. At least, it was on the Noordam in Feb, the Oosterdam in Jan, and the Westerdam last Nov.

Informal night is a great night to eat in the Pinnacle ... it helps one know what to wear. :) However, since I will dress in a jacket even on a casual night when I eat in the Pinnacle it really doesn't matter. :)

Unless I wanted to book the Pinnacle well-in-advance, I would wait until I boarded then I would call the front desk (they won't be busy with adjusting passengers' main dining room arrangements -- the DRM and staff are swamped with this prior to sailing) and ask which night(s) are informal. Then, I would call the Pinnacle and book. But before you do that, look for your "Welcome Aboard" Daily Schedule ... it SHOULD have the itinerary for the whole cruise, and which nights are formal/informal/casual printed in it. If it doesn't, call the Front Desk.

Yes ... this is an excellent question!

I have generally discovered that the dutch night (such as it still is ... they've stopped giving out the hats :( ) is usually on an informal night.

Same thing on Prinsendam 3 weeks ago. I've got some Dutch farmer hats for you if you like!:eek: BTW, if you ever make it to Holland, they now sell slippers in the shape of wooden shoes (in different colors - Amsterdam-Schiphol airport has them) Cool stuff!

Same thing on Prinsendam 3 weeks ago. I've got some Dutch farmer hats for you if you like!:eek: BTW, if you ever make it to Holland, they now sell slippers in the shape of wooden shoes (in different colors - Amsterdam-Schiphol airport has them) Cool stuff!

Really? On our cruise on the P'dam in June/July we had hats in the DR on Dutch night.

And the "wooden shoe slippers" are in every tourist shop in Holland, I think! We bought some over by the flower market in Amsterdam on our first day in town, then saw them three, four, five times a day after that!

Really? On our cruise on the P'dam in June/July we had hats in the DR on Dutch night.

And the "wooden shoe slippers" are in every tourist shop in Holland, I think! We bought some over by the flower market in Amsterdam on our first day in town, then saw them three, four, five times a day after that!

Really! (I was referring to it being on an informal night;) ) Yeah OK but are you wearing them and, if so, how bout posting a pic of you with them on?

"Dutch night" - which we didn't have on the O'dam back in January - features Dutch & Indonesian foods.

John: Sorry, although I did wear my "Dutch boy" cap all thru dinner, we didn't stop eating long enough to take pictures.

But here's someone else's so folks who haven't seen the hats know what to expect!

vosshubby.jpg

"Dutch night" - which we didn't have on the O'dam back in January - features Dutch & Indonesian foods.

John: Sorry, although I did wear my "Dutch boy" cap all thru dinner, we didn't stop eating long enough to take pictures.

But here's someone else's so folks who haven't seen the hats know what to expect!

Now that's a very cool pic! Here's another one to show what real traditional Dutch costumes look like (the fish is extra). If you ever visit Holland, you can have these taken in the town of Volendam

1152941243_CopyofJohnMaria5.jpg.52941660d74191934e494797a29d4ed6.jpg

Now that's a very cool pic! Here's another one to show what real traditional Dutch costumes look like (the fish is extra). If you ever visit Holland, you can have these taken in the town of Volendam

Small world - we were in Volendam just 6 weeks ago! (see http://dkearns.googlepages.com/amsterdam32) But we didn't stop to get our "real Dutch" pictures taken as we were enjoying the wonderful "zee" breeze too much :rolleyes:

Small world - we were in Volendam just 6 weeks ago! (see http://dkearns.googlepages.com/amsterdam32) But we didn't stop to get our "real Dutch" pictures taken as we were enjoying the wonderful "zee" breeze too much :rolleyes:

Great town to just stroll around the streets, check out the harbor and fish exchange and have a bite (Try "lekkerbekjes" friend fish next time you're there):)

Can someone please tell this "newbie" HAL cruiser what Dutch night is all about. Food wise, ent. etc.

I am sure it will be very interesting night for DH and myself as he is half Dutch.

Should be a great night for his one half (what nationality is the other half and where will he be during dinner?);)

All kidding aside, although not as well known for their cuisine as say the French, Italians, Greek, Mexicans, Japanese, Chinese and so on and so on, Dutch night on HAL is quite a feast:rolleyes:. You will have a choice of such all-time Dutch (Dutch Antilles and since it used to be a former Dutch colony, Indonesian) favorites as Sailor's fruit cocktail with Orange Curacao liqueur, Antilles shrimp cocktail, Dutch country pate, "Erwten soep" (green pea soup with ham hocks), "kippen soep met vermicelli" (chickensoup with noodles), "Hutspot met klapstuk" (Hodgepodge with brisket of beef), "gebakken scholfilets" (filet of sole), "echt Hollandse gehaktbal" (classic Dutch meatball), " Zander perch meuniere, Nasi Goreng:) (Indonesian fried rice with pork sate, beef Sumatra, krupuk (crisp prawn crackers), Pork tenderloin with Brussels sprouts (stolen from the Belgians who used to be Dutch but now don't know any better) "Bossche bollen met slagroom" (egg-rich cream puffs with whipped cream inside).

Sometimes (but you can't count on it) you'll find a Dutch farmer's hat (for him) and a typical Dutch hat (the real thing is made out of lace but on the ships they look a little like extra napkins) (for her) to wear (see Dave's pic). Be sure to bring your camera because your Indonesian wait staff will be dressed up in Dutch costumes also and there will be lots of red, white and blue on the tables and throughout the ding room. Unfortunately, it's been kinda hit and miss with Dutch night on HAL. Some cruises have had them while others have not :(

LOL!! Great sense of humor!!! His other half will probably be sitting by the pool with a Jamaican rum in his hand. :D What a mix, eh? Dutch and Trini.

Funny thing is, I just called him and asked, What is "Dutch" cuisine? His asnwer, I dunno, ask the HAL CC members. Little did he know I had already posted the question. :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting the "Cuisine" in english for me. Otherwise I would have had to "Google" everything you listed...lol

Not sure Dutch night is for me but, for his half, I guess we should go.

Should be a great night for his one half (what nationality is the other half and where will he be during dinner?);)

All kidding aside, although not as well known for their cuisine as say the French, Italians, Greek, Mexicans, Japanese, Chinese and so on and so on, Dutch night on HAL is quite a feast. You will have a choice of such all-time Dutch (Dutch Antilles and since it used to be a former Dutch colony, Indonesian) favorites as Sailor's fruit cocktail with Orange Curacao liqueur, Antilles shrimp cocktail, Dutch country pate, "Erwten soep" (green pea soup with ham hocks), "kippen soep met vermicelli" (chickensoup with noodles), "Hutspot met klapstuk" (Hodgepodge with brisket of beef), "gebakken scholfilets" (filet of sole), "echt Hollandse gehaktbal" (classic Dutch meatball), "Zander perch meuniere, Nasi Goreng:) (Indonesian fried rice with pork sate, beef Sumatra, krupuk (crisp prawn crackers), Pork tenderloin with Brussels sprouts (stolen from the Belgians who used to be Dutch but now don't know any better) "Bossche bollen met slagroom" (egg-rich cream puffs with whipped cream inside).

Sometimes (but you can't count on it) you'll find a Dutch farmer's hat (for him) and a typical Dutch hat (the real thing is made out of lace but on the ships they look a little like extra napkins) (for her) to wear (see Dave's pic). Be sure to bring your camera because your Indonesian wait staff will be dressed up in Dutch costumes also and there will be lots of red, white and blue on the tables and throughout the ding room. Unfortunately, it's been kinda hit and miss with Dutch night on HAL. Some cruises have had them while others have not :(

Archived