Is Tahiti worth the additional cost vs. Caribbean?

c-cruise

I haved cruised the Caribbean 10+ times and really enjoy it. Have considered taking a round trip Tahiti cruise or a Tahiti to Hawaii cruise. My question is this: Is Tahiti that much differnet from a typical caribbean island to justify the additional cost of the trip? The airfare alone would cost me $2000 more than flying to say Ft. Lauderdale for instance. Also, it doesn't seem like there is that much "cruising" involved in going to Tahiti. I do like some days at sea which is why I have been looking at Tahiti to Hawaii itineraries in addition to the round trip Papeete itineraries. As much as I love the thought of going to Tahiti I am having trouble justifying the additional cost vs. going to the caribbean. Any thoughts or advice you might offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

c-cruise

in a word, YES!!! We are going back for our second time in January. We have only cruised the Caribbean 4 times. After Tahiti, our last cruise in the Caribbean , though very nice, just didn't hold a candle. We love sea days too, and though there aren't many on a Tahitian Princess cruise, the islands are so beautiful you won't miss them. If you like to snorkel or dive(or just swim for that matter) Tahiti is so much nicer. If you are a shopper, you may not be as happy, as stuff is very expensive.

We haven't cruised the Caribbean so I cannot answer that part of your question. If you are into sea days and a cruise experience as such, there are very few on the Tahitian Princess and in some ways I felt cheated as I love the motion of the ship at night and we were anchored a lot in ports or lagoons at night. It is not really a cruising holiday but more that the ship is a hotel and you spend the days on the islands.

After saying all that, it was one of our best holidays and I would gladly go back if there weren't so many other places in this wonderful world that I want to see in the short amount of time that we have seeing we are in our early sixties. The islands are beautiful and the colours of the sea have to be seen.

We have cruised the Pacific on other ships and that is more of a true cruisng holiday as the ships do go long distances and you have your true feeling of motion and a sea voyage. etc. We had always wanted to go to the "true South Pacific" and we were not disappointed.

Jennie

I think the answer depends totally on you and your preferences. Like previous posters have already said Tahiti is very different from the Caribbean - some things you may not like. Hubby and I loved Tahiti when we went last year and are counting the days until we can go again. To us Tahiti was the most beautiful, unspoiled place on earth - you will find it hard to believe we can share a planet with such beauty.

One other thing that people have not commented on that I would like to mention: we found the Tahitian Princess to be a very water-intensive trip. Most stops are snorkeling, diving, motu lunches. There are no shopping tours like you get in the Caribbean, although there are 4x4 tours on most islands.

Also, due to the Eastern Australian Current, tides are pretty strong in the Cook Islands. Hubby is not a strong swimmer and had a hard time at some spots - nothing that a life vest wouldn't cure, but he did freak out our second day in the water and refused to get off the tour boat. By the end of the trip he was fine :) If you are not a huge water person, Tahiti may not be the cruise for you.

Also - keep in mind the Tahitian Princess is a VERY small ship by today's standards - 670 people max. If you are used to very large ships with all the amenities, you may not like this ship.

Just some things to think about!!!

• 2 months later...

My husband and I were with NitaBCruisin on both of her previous trips and are also on the next one planned for March 10, 2006. We had great weather both times and hope the weather "Gods" smile on us the third time. Although March is considered the summer (wet) season it can and does rain in the dry season. Plus the water is just so warm and wonderful in March. I have heard of people who went in September and said the water was cold? I think the weather is the weather and you should just go when it suits your schedule or needs (like escaping from the cold and snow in March). It is a great trip but definitely water-based.

For us it is well worth the cost over the Caribbean. As a matter of fact we tend to go to Hawaii rather than the Caribbean and Tahiti is more beautiful since it is unspoiled.

Jackie

I SO agree w/Karen cpa - it depends upon you. We were just on the TP in early Sept. Loved it! Had a great time. We ARE very water-intensive re: shore excursions. BUT! We have done the caribbean numerous times and LOVE it, too. Esp. certain places in the caribbean. I'm CERTAIN we'll do the caribbean many more times - both due to cost, distance and the variety. The scenery in FP is unforgettable - but I doubt we make it back there anytime soon. Maybe never. (Hawaii has many similar cultural things and beautiful scenery as well - and more to do - so we'll more than likely substitute land vacations there. Would like to try New Zealand if we get back to the So. Pacific.) Eveyone has their own opinions, likes and dislikes. French Polynesia is strikingly beautiful. But I will say we found most of the islands to be somewhat similar in how they looked and very similar in the types of excursions they offer and, of course, the cultural aspects. There is a lot of repetitiveness that I don't think you find in the caribbean. There an island might be flat, mountainous, they might speak English, Spanish, Dutch or French and you get a different sort of cultural feel from island to island depending upon where you go. Then, too, the shopping (what there is of it) is very different in FP than in TP. FP is very laid back and quiet. There isn't a lot of variety in things to do. We LOVED our Tahitian Princess cruise and we are SO glad we went. And I think if you have the chance you should DEFINITELY go at least once. You won't be disappointed.

What time of year were your first 2 cruises? Also March or different? I'm looking ahead to April/2006 but want your opinion on best time of year to go. Thanks

As New York Lady said, we went the first part of March both times. It's the end of the rainy season, but we've been incredibly lucky! We had yucky rain the day of embarkation the first year, plus a bit of rain one day on Bora Bora. This year, only one day of rain, on Bora Bora, but not too bad. And we were there for 3 weeks, as had pre and post cruise stays! One rainy day of 20, wonderful!!!!

I don't think there's a bad time to go, might just be luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I cruised (my only time) on the paul Gaugain to french polynesia and it was an awesome experience. The only thing I had a problem with was the humidity and heat. It was so bad i was almost sick alot of days. I am thinking of possibly going to the carribbean on the silver cloud. any advice on how the weather will be there. is it going to be as humid and hot? We like the smaller ships. I usually go to Maui on vacation and I love the weather there, and the beaches!

have been to the Caribbean so many times I can not count. There are some good parts and some over run commercialized parts but you can not compare apples to grapes. One you make juice out of and that is okay but one you make fine wine out of and that is great.

We were on the Paul Gauguin in their winter - July we still had some rain but nothing to spoil things we are going back in late November next year and can not wait.

As the others said it depends on what you want out of a holiday one gives you a different culture fresh air and beautiful water and landscapes. The other gives you some nice beaches with a lot of sales pitches. Lots of shopping and rows of hotels. If peace and quiet with unspoiled areas are not your thing then stick with the Caribbean and go in the winter when the humidity is less.

I've been to the caribbean many, many times, plus lived in FL. It's the tropics and yes, it's humid. Aruba is relatively dry, and St. Maarten and a few other islands have sections that are also dry. But we aren't talking the Sahara or even Arizona here. Puerto Rico & Belize (and a few other places), have a fair amount of rain even during the winter. Still, I agree w/Trend. The winter months (& early spring) are drier. Especially around Jan, Feb. through April. I sometimes see comments from people who say they become ill from heat or humidity on these boards. I realize they might not find the weather very comfortable, but unless they have a breathing disorder, that seems strange to me. It was humid in both Maui but not real hot (Dec. ) when we were there and the various French Polynesian Islands had rain in certain areas quite a bit (esp. on Moorea), yet we had sunny days as well. So if you were o.k. in Tahiti, I think you'd be o.k. in the caribbean in the time frames mentioned for drier weather and cooler temps. Don't expect it to have the striking mountain configurations like Bora Bora, Moorea, etc. though it has some beautiful scenery. The culture is also very different and the history as well. Hope you go and have a good time!

Tahiti is the best---been to the Caribbean more times than I can count--don't have any desire to go again--went twice early this year then 2-- 10 day Tahiti cruises on the Royal Princess--Love the small ships--My favorite way to go to Tahiti is to stay on Bora Bora in an OWB for a few days then the 10 day trip on Princess..

Nancy:D:D

Wow, I remember starting this thread - 7 years ago! Surprised to see it resurface after all this time. Still haven't made it to Tahiti, but have been back to the Caribbean another half dozen times. Tahiti is still very much on my list, but we have had a couple kids since my original post so it is probably going to have to wait until they are quite a bit older.

IMHO it is like comparing apples to oranges. As others have said, Caribbean Islands are very commercialized, some more than others. To me, each has a certain uniqueness and we have enjoyed many by taking private tours when on a cruise, or spending more time in some for a week's vacation. However, to me, nothing can compare to the islands of the South Pacific...and not specifically Tahiti either as to me that also was very commercialized. We visited probably eight islands on the Aranui freighter cruise and have spent time on additional South Pacific islands as well. We just booked Oceania's Marina's 18 day South Pacific cruise for February 2013 to experience all new islands this time also. Each island we have visited has lovely, warm, outgoing and friendly people. There are different cultures, unique mountains, scenery, and beautiful beaches with warm clear water for swimming, snorkeling, or just relaxation. We were amazed at the cleanliness in each these islands.

Years ago, I went to the Isle of Capri - off the Italian coast - and later said that is where I want to die! :)

But now I have changed my mind - I want to die in Bora Bora.

http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com/2011/07/bora-bora-french-polynesia.html

PS I have only been to Barbados and Aruba in the Caribbean - and they are not even on the same planet as the Tahitian Islands.

Barry

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this. It is our 10yr anniversary next February 2nd and I was actually trying to pick between Oceania Caribbean or Oceania South Pacific. I see you have commented a bit and you have also sailed on Oceania. It looks like the answer is yes, but would you say it is worth the extra $2K-$3K to do the South Pacific over Caribbean? We haven't done anything in the Caribbean south of the Bahamas. As for Oceania is the value there if you take advantage of all the meals and stuff?

Thanks!

Wesley

Archived