a table for two...or not??

fcorey

Ruth, for myself I agree because we choose to cruise HAL and Celebrity who still do dining this way. But on some lines with the dine-anytime-and-where-whatever-the-heck-you-want policy;) , you can stroll into any of many restaurants onboard and you are seated with others (if you choose). So in that case, you would still only meet the people for one night.

Dining in your hometown, you might get to meet someone who lives a few doors down from you. I think it's a great idea and didn't know they do it at all (for singles). I think it would be a hard sell to couples.

It's just interesting to me how some of us change our perspective when cruising and what isn't okay at home is great on a cruise.

We like doing both depending on the cruise. Lately we have been getting a table for 2. DH feels guilty if we want to eat someplace else one night. He thinks it might be rude if we dont show. One night we noticed a women at a table next to us who was sitting by herself at a table for 6 on a formal night. We decided to move to her table ( we had the same waiters) and had a great time. She was greatful and we got to do something different. We have also made friends for life sharing tables in the past. So it just depends what we are in the mood for. Theres no right or wrong.

We made the mistake ( for us ) on our first cruise by requesting a table for two. After the first night DH discovered that the DR was not for him and ate every evening in the Lido he still does that) . After several nights of dining alone I asked to be placed at a larger table. It turned out a lovely couple had been waitlisted for a table for two. They were so happy to get it that they bought me a drink. I was moved to a large table and everyone was happy. Now, of course, I always request a large table.

It seems that although there is something for everyone, the 2's have it by a slim margin. We also vote for a deuce. We just celebrated our 28th anniversary (known each other for 35 years, ouch!) and we still are bestest friends and enjoy each other a whole lot. (We are 52 years old) We are just so afraid of having a table that we would not enjoy. Maybe this is one of the reasons we like HAL. They honor special table requests and have many deuces.

Cool Change almost brought tears to my eyes. How terrible it could be to be at a large table as a single and come to formal night and sit alone. I am sure a single goes on a cruise to meet other people and to be alone would be so sad. I hope that if I see someone like that, my wife and I would have the gumption to do what she and her husband did. As a matter of fact, I might even pay a little more attention to something like that. That's how nice I think it was that they did that. And I am ashamed that I am sure I have seen it and did nothing.

We always request a table for two at dinner, but we always make sure to ask to share a table for lunch. In this way we can mingle and have a great conversation, but if our table mates are duds, it's only one lunch, not an entire cruise. If we really get along we will make a date for lunch the next day, or if we really, really get along we simply ask the concierge to arrange for all of us to have dinner together. Never a problem.

Ruth and Heather--Did you ever consider going to a church or firehouse function (and some restaurants-Lancaster co. Pa.) that serves family style? You're seated in the next available seat and the sidedishes and drink pitchers are on the table.(would you mind passing that down? So, where are you folks from?) I realize that they may not be in your areas. And they're not for everyone, but you do get to meet the locals and alot of people that aren't. Especially if it's listed in the local paper.

Take care,

Pat.

When we first started cruising my DW was somewhat concerned that we were not at a table for two. She's more an introvert than I am and supposedly would have been very happy to dine without company. As it turned out we sat at a table for four and made some wonderful friends, one of whom has sadly passed on recently, with whom we stayed in contact with for several years. Subsequently we've sat at tables for four to eight and because of that we've made some great friends. So much so that we'll be cruising with one of the couples for the third time this coming March. My wife is my best friend and I always want to be with her, so much so that my staff jokingly calls me "velcro husband" because I'm always with my wife (we even work for the same agency so we truly have a 24/7 relationship). Other than dinner we don't do much with our cruise mates though, we're perfectly happy entertaining each other. :)

Ruth and Heather--Did you ever consider going to a church or firehouse function (and some restaurants-Lancaster co. Pa.) that serves family style?

Pat, thank you so much for that idea! :) Although I do live several states away I have a friend in the area and have been known to visit. Maybe some time when I "cruise" on down we can do that! :)

Thank you to everyone that has take the time post their comments. This has been really great. I think that we are going to let our table assignment be whatever it is. We have no children and can dine alone whenever, meeting others is part of the experience. now i just have to wait 4 more weeks! :D

if it is just DH and I we ask for a table for 2.....if we are with another couple....a 4 top.

we go to have fun, relax, see new ports and not to meet a slew of poeple.....maybe we are antisocial....

PS: we've been married for 39 years....and like each other's company ! i can chat people up in other venues.....we have had a few large tables that were quite awkward....either we were the odd couple with a group of 6....or people with whom we have little in common.....

that's the great thing about HAL.....they have lots of dining choices....

cant wait for Dec 9th on the Amsterdam

Everyone has their own preferences. My husband and I prefer a table for two. This way we can eat at our own pace. If we want to skip courses (yes... sometimes we do!), you don't have to wait for everyone to catch up.

If we want to hurry to a movie, show or game, we don't feel guilty in speeding up our dinner and heading out of the dining room.

Can you imagine our reaction? Yet we all willingly accept the idea of dining with complete strangers for 7+ nights on a cruise, but would probably balk at the idea of joining others in a restaurant or even at a resort.

We really are a funny lot, aren't we???;)

A welcomed observation.

One night we noticed a women at a table next to us who was sitting by herself at a table for 6 on a formal night. QUOTE]

I travelled solo on business for 2.5 decades and had no issue with dining or being alone. Yet the thought that I might be sitting alone at a table, on a cruise ship, on a formal night, scares the beejesus out of me.

"Where did everyone go? Was it something I said? Did they opt out for the Pinnacle? Maybe they went to the Lido. Maybe they are running late? Why is everyone in this cotton-pickin dining room staring at me? Who cares. I am never going to see any of these people again. That one, over there, just pointed at me and now the entire table is turning around. Oh yeah, look at me the loser who is dining at a big table all alone. Maybe I can help the waitstaff. Give me something productive to do? And Rats. I ordered my self a birthday cake for tonight. Oh NOOOOOOOOOOO.

I admire solo cruisers.

if it is just DH and I we ask for a table for 2.....if we are with another couple....a 4 top.

we go to have fun, relax, see new ports and not to meet a slew of poeple.....maybe we are antisocial....

PS: we've been married for 39 years....and like each other's company ! i can chat people up in other venues.....we have had a few large tables that were quite awkward....either we were the odd couple with a group of 6....or people with whom we have little in common.....

that's the great thing about HAL.....they have lots of dining choices....

cant wait for Dec 9th on the Amsterdam

xeena, that doesnt make you antisocial, you just like quality company! ;) Congratulations on 39 years, this october will only be 6 yrs for us. thanks for the comments

love cruises, I had not given thought to time, and waiting for others etc. Just goes to show what a newbie I am! thanks

hammybee, you are what my dear granny refers to a "a hoot" , I also travel solo for work, and have got to a point where I am used to it. I think the fact that I am generally a shy person is what is leading me to consider a larger table...but who know I may chicken out when I get aboard and ask for a table for two :o

I admire solo cruisers.

I cruise solo quite a bit, and I'll be honest ... if my dining room companions ever did that to me ... knowing that I am traveling solo ... I would be a bit put out. If they have other plans, and know that I am sailing on my own, the polite thing would be to inform me that they will not be showing up at the table the following night, and then let me plan accordingly. I certainly don't expect to be included in their plans, but I don't think it is asking too much for a little advance notice.

Thankfully, I have never been deserted by my dining companions and left to dine at a big table by myself. But, I will say this ... if it ever did happen, I would certainly not hesitate to ask the dining room steward to seat me at another table with empty spots.

At home, I too have no problem dining alone. In fact, I do it all the time because my schedule is such that often I eat at wierd times. It's not unusual for me to go to the local diner for breakfast at 10:00 p.m. at night ... on my way to work. But dining alone at home is one thing. I'm not there for a good time. I'm there to feed my face and get on with my schedule. On a cruise, it's different. Dining is a social experience ... a leisurely social experience that it is very hard to enjoy when dining at the table by yourself.

So, there is nothing to admire here. Cruising solo is wonderful. And with a little courtesy on all sides, even the dining aspect of it can be wonderful too.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 5 weeks later...
Lauren and I are not antisocial, but we do enjoy our time together during dinner. We can focus on the food and each other. We always request a table for two.:)

Enjoy!

Kel

I'm a HAL newbie, so perhaps you could give me advice on how to get the table for two; I requested a table for two through my TA,but haven't heard anything. I don't know if that's standard procedure, though; maybe TAs take care of small requests like that and don't bother with a confirmation? Also, how would I know what table type I am assigned to? Looking at my invoice from the TA, I can see that I am signed up for the late dining time, but that's about it.:confused:

We always ask for a table for 2. Got tired of the bad pot luck we were getting with larger tables.

Ditto. Too many times in pot luck seating situations (on both land and sea) we have fallen into situations where most of the other people know each other, or worse yet are a family, or form a clique (sp?) early on, and we end up being shut out, not wanting to "eavesdrop" on their conversation, or try to butt in, or try to have our own separate conversation!

Of course we could ask for another table, but what if you happen to run into people from the first table later on and they ask "where have you been"? What do we say?

I don't think "it's us" because on our last cruise we had a table for two that was about 10 inches from another table for 2 with a couple that were on their first cruise, and started asking us questions about things. By the 3rd night it had effectively turned into a table for 4.

... about how we would feel if we walked into a restaurant with our spouse one night and the Maitre D' asked us whether we'd prefer to dine alone or with 4, 6 or 8 strangers.

We'd think he was kidding, right? But when you think about it, why the heck not?????:p It would be a great way to meet neighbors!

Can you imagine our reaction? Yet we all willingly accept the idea of dining with complete strangers for 7+ nights on a cruise, but would probably balk at the idea of joining others in a restaurant or even at a resort.

We really are a funny lot, aren't we???;)

Quite the contrary for us. Although never at a restaurant with Maitre d', we've often agreed to "share a table" at a place with a long line waiting, precisely because it is a one-shot deal. How bad can it be compared to standing around hungry for who knows how much longer, and it might even be a pleasant experience. More often than not it has been.

But getting stuck in a bad situation for 7+ nights (see my post #43) is a whole 'nother deal!! :D

jtl, we'd be happy to as well. But it's never come up for us here. Have to admit, when there's a line at a restaurant we don't even park the car.

Also, nine times out of ten there's as long a wait for 4 or 6 as there is for 2.

Still, it's a great idea. I have done it at lunch with friends. We were two and Toojays only had a large table so a group of women joined together and we had a great time!:)

I think it's one of the great things about cruising that there are any number of options, from type of cabin, to dining time, to number at a table, to dining room vs lido, to length of cruise, ports of call etc.

No right or wrong answer to this one. I think a lot of it depends on whether you routinely have a chance to dine together at home, in which case the "2 of us together" thing is less compelling, or if you've had the tablemate from hell and want to avoid the chance of that ever happening again.

We always cruise with another couple (friends of ours for 35+ yrs) and we typically ask for a table of 8 or 10 as we enjoy meeting others and hearing about their travel experiences. In 6 cruises together we have yet to get a true "dud" and have had a number who were a delight.

We did end up at a 6 top 2 cruises ago and that was a tad awkward as even though we made every effort to be inclusive, it's hard for the other couple not to feel odd man out in that setting.

Ended up w/ a 4 top last trip despite a request for 8 or 10 and that worked out fine but we did miss the interaction with others. Sailing on Westerdam in just over a week and hoping that we'll again be at an 8 or 10.

So the long and short of it is...do what feels right for you and then relax and enjoy the trip.

A very wide range of reasons for seating. :rolleyes:

DW and I have always chose the large table of 8. This always ensures a good mix of people and not stuck with couples traveling together.

We took a Captain Cook cruise in Australia (Great Barrier Reef) and were the only Americans on Board. It was funny to see the others fighting to seat with us at our table! The seating was somewhat open on a very small ship, and was most enjoyable talking with others about their travels, home town, and what they enjoyed so far on the trip.

We've never cruised alone..Twice we cruised with a large group of our sailing friends...Other times, we've cruised with another couple (our very dear friends) & always request a table for 8..Most times we've been at a large table & a few times have been at a table for 6..We try to change seats during the course of the cruise, so we can enjoy our other tablemates, but only if they all agree..

We've been pretty lucky as we've always enjoyed our tablemates & have never had anyone Noshow the dining room..The last time we were at a table for six & invited our tablemates to join us the night we had Pinnacle Reservations..They happily agreed & it too was a nice night...

There have been times that we've had such fun with our tablemates, & others in the dining room were a bit put out with our laughter..:o

I thank my lucky stars I'm not sitting with a sourpuss... Occasionally we've observed one or two of them & feel sorry for the others at their table..;)

Happy cruising all..:) Betty

Archived