a table for two...or not??

fcorey

I guess I'm glad that I'm with my bride. We will not do a cruise that will not offer table for two unless existing friends are travelling with us or family. I am sorry but I maybe get two weeks off each year. One week is dedicated to a cruise while my mother watches our son/dog/cat. It is the only one on one getway per year. It is fabulous. We just get into each other like we did before having a kid. It's all about us. I love the formal nights where we just sit across from each other and talk - and look good at the same time. We don't go on cruises to make friends or make small talk. We go on a cruise once a year just to be together. It might sound cheesy but it's the one week I really look forward to each year. To have my wife to myself. Heck, we don't go on cruises for ports anymore. We go for the ship/cabin. We are in the minority I know. But we are those people who pay upcharges for suite ammenities and actually use them. If the ship never stopped, we couldn't care less. We like a balcony at the stern and good food/service. That's our MO.

On all of our cruises, we have requested a large table. I like 8. Most times it has worked out great! Now that I am retired & disabled, I seldom get to meet or converse with new people and I really look forward to it while cruising. In fact, one of the main reasons I like HAL so much is the wonderful people we meet. We eat breakfast, lunch and dinner alone at home every day & I don't want to do it on a cruise. Once, the people at our table were having so much fun, others in the dining room were sure we came as a group! Another time when we met the tablemates there was such a difference in age, I was sure we should request a table change but we gave it some time and really enjoyed our tablemates as well as a great waiter. Earlier this year on the Maasdam, table for 6, I came back to the cabin and said if I have to sit with those people for dinner every night, I'm not going to the dining room! Even that worked out in the end and we had some very amusing times. Only once did we do a table for 2 and that was our 25th anniversary and we had changed tables already 2x on that cruise. The one thing I didn't like on NCL freestle dining etc. was that we always ate alone and never met anyone.

After our 2nd cruise we began to get a table for two. My husband is a physician and I am a clinical social worker and invetiably we feel like we are at work interpreting medical issues and emotional problems. Therefore, we eat only with eachother and use other opportunities to meet fellow passengers. We are not anti-social but use our traveling to get away from work.

HAL has always honored our request, so has Celebrity but Princess has not.

-Esther

Cooperstown, NY

Ryndam - Alaska 2x

Westerdam - Baltic

Grand Princess - Western Carribean

Costa - Eastern Carribean

Celebrity Constellation- Southern Carribean

Noordam- Mediteranean

UPCOMING:

Zuiderdam - Carribean

Veendam - Eastern Mediterranean

Ditto. Too many times in pot luck seating situations (on both land and sea) we have fallen into situations where most of the other people know each other, or worse yet are a family, or form a clique (sp?) early on, and we end up being shut out, not wanting to "eavesdrop" on their conversation, or try to butt in, or try to have our own separate conversation!

Of course we could ask for another table, but what if you happen to run into people from the first table later on and they ask "where have you been"? What do we say?

this happened to us on our honeymoon. we were initially with another honeymooning couple who were just total duds so we requested to move to another table with a couple we had met earlier. we ran into the first couple frequently and just smiled and were polite and when they asked us where we went, we just said we switched tables to eat with some friends. quite frankly, I don't really care what they think. I'm on my honeymoon to have fun! Our new table for 8 was a blast.

If it was a special occasion (anniversary, honeymoon, secret getaway) then I could see a table for two, but for DD and I we made 5 lasting friends at our table for 7 last year and have enjoyed emailing and staying in touch with them this year.

One couple and a mother in law where from Canada, with the most delightful accents and stories. The mother in law but DD and I to shame as she was up late, up early and dancing each night away usually with a different good looking man! The other couple were from PA and I enjoyed out conversations so very much as she was a retired teacher and I am a school nurse plus they both owned a bookstore now, and I adore to read.

It was truly a highlight of our travels meeting and getting to know this group!

Linda

JR Ewing, I just loved your post. I love your reasons for cruising and I love that you take this break from everyday life and just enjoy each other.

Some people have said they get a table for two because they enjoy each other's company. I'd hate to have anyone think that we like to get a large table because we don't enjoy each other:eek: .

On the contrary, every night of our lives we have dinner together just the 2 of us ... and usually by candlelight (twilight of our years;) ). We generally spend at least an hour having dinner and talking until the skies grow dark and the house even darker and we need to go turn on a light or two. Living in Florida we sit on our back patio, look at our lake, reflect on the day, memories past, and plans for the future.

For that reason, when we go on a cruise we love sharing in the lives and stories of others. But my husband is forever and always my confidante and best friend.

Table for two when we are traveling without our cruising friends. Will be cruising with our friends, two couples, and have requested a table for six on our next cruise in February. Plenty of opportunities for socialization experiences at the Lido for lunch or breakfast or lunch in the dining room.

I'm a HAL newbie, so perhaps you could give me advice on how to get the table for two; I requested a table for two through my TA,but haven't heard anything. I don't know if that's standard procedure, though; maybe TAs take care of small requests like that and don't bother with a confirmation? Also, how would I know what table type I am assigned to? Looking at my invoice from the TA, I can see that I am signed up for the late dining time, but that's about it.:confused:

Guienevere_Arianette,

HAL has a list of everyone's requests, but it is not final until the ship's Maitre'd puts things together just before your cruise. Your TA won't know anything. You will have a card in your cabin when you arrive at the port listing your table. You can head to the dining room and they will have a map showing where your table is located. Check it out; if it looks okay to you, then fine; if not visit the Asst' Maitre'd in charge of tables and they will make a change. HAL is very good at meeting your requests, if fact, I not only request a table for two, but I request specific tables. I have maps of most dining rooms, if you would like a suggestion let me know.

Enjoy!

Kel

I have maps of most dining rooms, if you would like a suggestion let me know.

Enjoy!

Kel

We really like the tables for 2 on the upper level along the railing around the staircase. Do you have a map showing those on the Veendam that you could email to me? (jothla@bellsouth.net) If you can't send a copy, can you tell me how the 5 on each side are numbered? How did you get these maps, just collect them over time from ships you've been on? If so, who do I ask, the maitre d' ? Thanks in advance!

John

HAL is very good at meeting your requests, if fact, I not only request a table for two, but I request specific tables. I have maps of most dining rooms, if you would like a suggestion let me know.

Enjoy!

Kel

I would be interested in the Noordam upper level tables for two (next to the railing). Could you perhaps suggest something? We have our 5 year anniversary with DH during our cruise and would therefore like a table for two this time.

Thanks so much. :) :) :) If you have a map that you could e-mail me do let me know - I will post my e-mail address then.

I would be interested in the Noordam upper level tables for two (next to the railing). Could you perhaps suggest something? We have our 5 year anniversary with DH during our cruise and would therefore like a table for two this time.

Thanks so much. :) :) :) If you have a map that you could e-mail me do let me know - I will post my e-mail address then.

Hi European_CruiseGirl,

I have maps for the Zuiderdam and the Westerdam. These two are identical, so since the Noordam is a sister ship to these two, I would think the dining room map to be the same. Tables 79, 77, 90, 88, 84, 302(B), and 73 are all upstairs on the railing. Leave your email if you want a copy.

Enjoy!

Kel

We really like the tables for 2 on the upper level along the railing around the staircase. Do you have a map showing those on the Veendam that you could email to me? (jothla@bellsouth.net) If you can't send a copy, can you tell me how the 5 on each side are numbered? How did you get these maps, just collect them over time from ships you've been on? If so, who do I ask, the maitre d' ? Thanks in advance!

John

John,

Check your email for the map. Has the contact person I got it from at HAL HQ's.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Kel

John, does "jmprins" stand for "just mad for Prinsendam????:D

Nope, just plain "mad" as in 51-50, crazy, not all the way there, lights are on but nobody's home, elevator does not go all the way to the top floor, train got off the tracks, you know what I mean;)

A lot of folks don't know this but that ship was named after my forefathers

Kelmac, I hate to be a bother because you're inundated, but if you have the DR plan for Veendam would you mind also emailing it to:

Luvs2cruise@aol.com

Thank you!!!

John, does "jmprins" stand for "just mad for Prinsendam????:D

Hi Heather and John,

Check your email, should be there. Let me know if I can help. Have a wonderful cruise!

Kel

Archived