NO MUTS on Golden?????

JotWorld

Originally Posted by GoodAsGold

I heard that the Golden will be in dry dock come November..... I called Princess the other day and they have decided NOT to retrofit her with the MUTS at this time........

I know the Grand has MUTS & she is 3 years older, I thought the Golden had it already, can't figure out why they wouldn't do that as it is quite popular:confused: We are also going on the Golden Transatlantic - Rome to New Orleans - Nov 29th(After Dry dock) and were looking forward to seeing some MUTS:(

Any CC's out there with additional info on this???:confused:

We loved our Grand Transatlantic in '04.:)

Bill & Irene:confused:

The Star and Golden do not have MUTS. Princess decided not to retrofit these 2 ships with it.

While popular with some, MUTS is not popular with everyone. This way - people can book the ship (Grand, Caribbean, Crown, Emerlad) with MUTS if they like MUTS and book the Golden and Star if they do not like MUTS.

More people dislike MUTS than like it. That is one of the reasons they stopped the audio from the big speakers during the day and provided passengers with funky headsets..

It was a good business decision, then. I'm a newbie on this board & didn't

understand why.;)

Bill & Irene

The Star and Golden do not have MUTS. Princess decided not to retrofit these 2 ships with it.

While popular with some, MUTS is not popular with everyone. This way - people can book the ship (Grand, Caribbean, Crown, Emerlad) with MUTS if they like MUTS and book the Golden and Star if they do not like MUTS.

Thank you also!

My Best!

Bill

I think you have a point. When I spoke to the customer service rep. at Princess, she went to great lengths to find out if MUTS, was or was not going to be retrofitted on Golden. At first, she thought all the ships would be getting it until I mentioned reading that Princess might be holding off for now. So, she was curious and put me on hold while she checked with someone who (hopefully) knows what they're talking about. We all know how we're apt to get a different answer each time we call. :rolleyes:

Anyway, she said that Princess is re-thinking the MUTS feature after getting so many mixed reviews and "on the fence or negative" feedback from passengers. So, it looks like they're waiting to decide whether to continue with it on new builds or to retrofit their older ships. We shall see! :p

More people dislike MUTS than like it. That is one of the reasons they stopped the audio from the big speakers during the day and provided passengers with funky headsets..

And you came to this deducton HOW???? As usual Largin, your superiority complex is shining thru......Just cause YOU don't care for it doesn't mean MOST do not! :D You, Coiran, and BDJAM DO NOT make up the entire cruising world! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those giant screens they use for MUTS are far from cheap. So why would a business buy them if first place, the great majority loved it and second, having it increased business.

Only Princess knows for sure if the whole MUTS thing was a smart idea financially. Their canceling the retro fit would be a clear answer to me.

Oh, by the way, the whole MUTS thing is very old. There used to be a thing called a “Drive In Theatre”. Sit in your car and listen to the movie through a crappy speaker. Last one in the Los Angeles area went belly up years ago.

And you came to this deducton HOW???? As usual Largin, your superiority complex is shining thru......Just cause YOU don't care for it doesn't mean MOST do not! :D You, Coiran, and BDJAM DO NOT make up the entire cruising world! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with you here. The reason it APPEARS more dislike it than like it is because the squeaky wheel gets the oil. The people who disliked it were very vocal. However those of us who do like it have not spoken up to Princess about it. I remember a thread awhile back about this very thing and most who (at the time, maybe not now) said they hated it, had never even been on a ship with it.

If you love MUTS, let Princess know. I dislike the headphones idea and have spoken to them about it. They said the need to hear from us about things such as this.

There are many other pool areas one can go to if they do not like MUTS.

If you've been on a ship that has MUTS, I think you'll know why most people either ignore or don't like MUTS. During the day, very few people actually pay any attention or watch it. At night, the weather has to be pretty good to be able to be outside. If it's rainy or misty, you really don't want to be laying out in the rain and if you go under cover, the sound bounces around the metal and is unintelligible. Not only that, but except for special events, the movies shown are usually pretty darned old. If they showed 1st or 2nd run movies, there'd probably be more interest.

One thing to keep in mind with regards to the expense of retrofitting is that most Princess ships have itineraries that are not tropical which also limits desirability. If you take mostly Caribbean cruises, that's one thing but most Princess cruises aren't in the Caribbean.

Because of the sound problems, which can be very annoying if you're around the pool and are trying to have a conversation, Princess is now going with a wireless headphone on the ships that do have MUTS. That's not to say that it isn't appealing if you're doing a tropical cruise but except for the CB which is 100% in the Caribbean, all of the other ships go to other climates.

I was on the Sea Princess for 14 days this summer and while it was hot/warm enough to be outside and watch MUTS at night, there wasn't one movie being shown that we were interested in.

It's not surprising to me that Princess is re-thinking retrofitting MUTS on their ships. It just doesn't appeal to passengers on many Princess itineraries and ships.

If you've been on a ship that has MUTS, I think you'll know why most people either ignore or don't like MUTS. During the day, very few people actually pay any attention or watch it....

I know this was not directed at me but I HAVE been on one that has MUTS and the people on our cruises LOVED it. Not just my party but many we spoke to. It is a great way to spend the day lounging around the pool watching older movies. Nostaligia at its best I say. I know it takes all kinds but those that I have personally spoke to love it. You will rarely find an empty lounger around the MUTS pool. If people didnt like it why dont they go to a different pool then?

I know this was not directed at me but I HAVE been on one that has MUTS and the people on our cruises LOVED it. Not just my party but many we spoke to. It is a great way to spend the day lounging around the pool watching older movies. Nostaligia at its best I say. I know it takes all kinds but those that I have personally spoke to love it. You will rarely find an empty lounger around the MUTS pool. If people didnt like it why dont they go to a different pool then?
I know exactly what you mean -- I watched "Back to the Future" on the CB one day and I think I was about the only person watching it. As for the "other" pool, MUTS has to be near the uncovered pool since it has to be positioned high enough to be viewed. So the choice is either outside near MUTS or inside and most people prefer the outside pool so they can get a tan or just plain be outside. At least that's my experience on the CB.

I know exactly what you mean -- I watched "Back to the Future" on the CB one day and I think I was about the only person watching it. As for the "other" pool, MUTS has to be near the uncovered pool since it has to be positioned high enough to be viewed. So the choice is either outside near MUTS or inside and most people prefer the outside pool so they can get a tan or just plain be outside. At least that's my experience on the CB.

If I recall correctly there are four uncovered pools. What do you mean by covered? They can easily choose other outside pools. Of the following I believe only one is inside, correct?

Calypso Reef and Pool (plus 2 hot tubs)

Neptune’s Reef and Pool (plus 2 hot tubs)

Terrace Pool

Lotus Spa® Pool (plus 2 hot tubs)

Pirate’s View hot tub and splash pool

If I recall correctly there are four uncovered pools. What do you mean by covered? They can easily choose other outside pools. Of the following I believe only one is inside, correct?
You're probably right. I was thinking of another Princess ship. :(

On the Sea Princess - there really is only one large pool area to lay out near. The aft pool really isn't a viable option on the Sun Class ships.

I understand on the smaller class ships that it may not be a viable option. I can only speak for the Caribbean Princess and the many people I talked to on it.

If there were no other pools to go to, I see that it could be a problem. However, on the CB it is not the only pool to use.

I heard they're making a comeback of sorts. We still have an old old-fashioned drive-in here in my city on the Central coast in CA. Two screens. BUT, they don't have those old, tinny-sounding speakers now. Instead, you listen through your radio. But you have to remember to start your car every now and then to charge the battery. :p Anyway, during the weekends (days) there's a flea market (swap meet) on the premises. And, at night you can get a boatload of people into the drive-in for a darn good price. I used to go there as a kid dressed in my sleeper 'jamas. All the kids would be running around in their p.js. up at the "canteen" (snack bar). Then when I was in high school, some of us would sneak in when the show was close to being over. My girlfriend's boyfriend (now hubby) used to have her get in the trunk to sneak in. :) What a cheapskate!

Those were the good ol' days. I've only been one time in recent years just so my daughter could experience the drive-in. I now prefer being inside a comfortable theater, myself. :D

Oh, by the way, the whole MUTS thing is very old. There used to be a thing called a “Drive In Theatre”. Sit in your car and listen to the movie through a crappy speaker. Last one in the Los Angeles area went belly up years ago.

Now, see this is where I would have objections because I like to hang out at the UNcovered pool during the day during warm weather. Although I've yet to be on a ship which has MUTS, I keep visualizing myself trying to read and relax and get a tan....or maybe carry on a conversation with the person next to me. Do they still have the regular pool games at this pool? Or is it just done when it's intermission? :D I have no problem with a band playing or asst. cruise director supervising some silly games. That doesn't bother me at all.

MUTS could be great for all I know...but too much noise pollution just drives me crazy. :eek: I picture a movie going on... people talking...music in the background... kids yelling and having fun in the pool... laughter...people saying "Shhhhhh!"...the crew coming around and taking drink orders....yada, yada, yada....it all seems so overwhelming....so BUSY!

Do they hand out Tylenol for headaches? :p

Myself, on the Grand class ships I like to hang out at the main, larger outside pool, (Calypso Reef) close to the pizza and Horizon court. :D I don't care to be off at a secluded, smaller pool or where there might be more of a breeze. I'm wondering if this means that the lounge chairs would fill up even quicker during the day if movies were being shown at the Calypso Reef pool. I also heard there's more children's programming then. Is this mostly in the morning? Yikes. I really am trying to get AWAY from all the SCREENS in my life...only to have a HUGE one towering over me as I lounge at the pool. :( Help! They're following me! I'm being stalked by a SCREEN! LOL

Hey, I know I'm being dramatic and it very well could be a wonderful feature to have on a ship. Just not sure if I'm ready quite yet. :confused:

Calypso Reef and Pool (plus 2 hot tubs)

Neptune’s Reef and Pool (plus 2 hot tubs)

Terrace Pool

Lotus Spa® Pool (plus 2 hot tubs)

Pirate’s View hot tub and splash pool

When I was on the Caribbean Princess, I think I heard them say that it cost $1,000,000 for MUTS. I can think of a lot of things to spend that money onboard than a giant screen and sound system.

The first one that comes to mind is internet(data) ports in the cabins. You can go to almost any hotel and find data connections in your rooms. :)

When I was on the Caribbean Princess, I think I heard them say that it cost $1,000,000 for MUTS. I can think of a lot of things to spend that money onboard than a giant screen and sound system.

The first one that comes to mind is internet(data) ports in the cabins. You can go to almost any hotel and find data connections in your rooms. :)

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto;)

I've only been on one ship with MUTS -- the Grand last November. I don't remember it being an issue. We hung out by the MUTS pool several times when they weren't showing any movies at all -- just underwater scenes and music. Another time, they used it for a trivia game. It was off when they had live music and the pool games.

There are at least two other uncovered pools that I remember, one on the front not very far from the grill and one in the aft, which also has a bar, but I don't know if it was open during the day.

I grew up with the television on and still use it for background noise and to tell time, so I'm sure I'm less sensitive to MUTS than others might be.

Archived