Which Month Is Better To Cruise. May, June Or Sept?

CALMOM

I was wondering which month is better to cruise to Alaska? I am only available for May, middle of June or Sept. I am most concern with being able to see the glaciers at Glacier Bay or Hubbard. I have read some posting today with seeing some people never were able to see the glaciers because of weather. I know no one can predict the weather I am only going by your experience especially if you live in Alaska. I just can't wait to see Alaska!

May or June are my recommendation. Both your glacier choices will have viewing, it the Sawyer's at the end of Tracy Arm that are the "iffy" sightings.

If glaciers are your priority, then load up your trip with them. Consider heading out and spending some time at Mendenhall, do a glacier helicopter landing and some glacier flightseeing. More is always better. :)

It is very easy to tell which are the "best" months in Alaska -- look at the brochure prices of the cruises! They start off low in May, increase through June and July, taper off in August and are lowest in September. There is a reason for that.

OTOH, we have had some very nice cruises in Alaska in both May and September. The weather in Alaska, and conditions at the glaciers, are extremely variable and nothing is guaranteed. Only once in six cruises have we had any problem getting close to the glaciers, and in the end the Captain got us into Glacier Bay anyhow. Mendenhall is almost always easily viewable.

To see our reviews and pics of our last three Alaska cruises go to our website in my sig below.

Have a GREAT cruise!

It is very easy to tell which are the "best" months in Alaska -- look at the brochure prices of the cruises! They start off low in May, increase through June and July, taper off in August and are lowest in September. There is a reason for that.

I don't think higher price always means "best" time to travel. It reflects when most people want to go and are able to travel. Mediterranean cruises, for instance, are also more expensive mid-summer, but I sure wouldn't consider that the best time to be there: too hot, crowded, and expensive for me.

!

I actually think this reflects more when people go on vacations verses the best time to be in Alaska. Many schools/teachers/educators often are in school until mid June and can't go on vacation until the end of July - through mid-August. July and August are the most popular vacation times of the year...

The beauty of Alaska is outstanding and I am glad to see you are putting the glaciers as a top priority. We just got back and I have to say that after seeing one I tried to work in as many as I possibly could. The mountains and views are spectacular, but we just don't get glaciers anywhere close to where I live. My Dh and I did a glacier trek and spent 4 hours on a glacier. This was the most magnificent thing you can imagine (actually more). If you are in decent shape I would recommend this. Looking at the glacier from the ship is maginificent, but standing on it and peering down into a crevass and waterfalls and so much more is out of this world.

If you have time in Seward, the trip to Exit Glacier is wonderful as a little extra also. Again though, this is viewing it from a very close distance, but not on it.

Is the only way to get to the Glaciers by float plane or helicopter? I am scared of flying, can I take a boat to the glacier? If so, can you tell me which excursion at which port?

The key is to make a good choice with your cruiseship itinerary. If looking at a round trip, one of the best is HAL with both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. If going one way, be certain to have College Fjords and either Hubbard or Glacier Bay. MORE is always better. If going one way, also add a boat tour out of Whittier, the best and closest personal option.

I leave this coming Friday for Anchorage, take the train to Whittier and see the 26 advertised glaciers midday Saturday, then board Princess Diamond. I booked the day cruise privately, and they will book your rail or bus transport for you, if you'd like.

It was actually a little less for us since it's end of season.

Thank you RetireeWannabee! This is the best advise yet that I have received on this board, it solves my problem with seeing Glaciers. Pls. post when you return and tell me about your trip, I will watch for you. I am also interested in sailing on the Diamond next mid June or Beg. Sept. Have a great time and thanks again for the website.

Thank you RetireeWannabee! This is the best advise yet that I have received on this board, it solves my problem with seeing Glaciers. Pls. post when you return and tell me about your trip, I will watch for you. I am also interested in sailing on the Diamond next mid June or Beg. Sept. Have a great time and thanks again for the website.

Besides the 26 glaciers, there's also Major Marine: http://majormarine.com/Cruises/Prince_William_Sound_Glacier_Cruise/ and Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours: http://www.princewilliamsound.com/736.cfm All are out of Whittier.

Archived