Noordam???

BHW Girl

Hi all,

We have been cruising for quite some time. Mostly on Carnival (13X) and RC (2x). We are in our middle 40's and are getting tired of the party. Our last cruise we had horrible table mates, no manners and very rude to the staff. On the formal night they all showed up in jeans. Please do not think that we are snobs, but the way they acted was inexcusable. We usually book an inside upper cabin or a lower leval balcony. If someone would be so kind as to let us know about the cabins and the cliental it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..BHWGirl

That's an awfully broad question. You might want to read through the threads on this board to get an idea of the atmosphere on HAL, and also an idea of what some of us who sail HAL are like.

The Noordam itself is a beautiful ship. She's traditional styling, not the lights and glitz of some other lines. There are fresh flowers everywhere, cloth towels in the public restrooms. beautiful artworks.

There are always those who don't dress to code, but generally most guests do look at least presentable. Now there's a good word, too. "Guests". On HAL you're treated more as a guest than a passenger.

The service is friendly, prompt, gratious.

Food is subjective, but let's say I've never gone hungry.

You will find HAL to be different from Carnival and RCCL.

Welcome to the HAL board! HAL cruisers tend to be more seasoned travelers. There isn't a roudy night life on HAL ships, especially on more port intensive itineraries like the Baltic in particular and Europe in general.

If you like hearing sea stories and peoples' adventures you'll enjoy the HAL crowd. We've met very few snobby people and made lots of friends who we still sail with.

Th atmosphere is friendly and refined, lots of things to do and many amenities. The beds are heavenly, the service really exceptional, and the decor is very classic ocean liner, and classy to boot. HAL ships are not floating resorts. Chimes to call you to dinner, staff who remember your name.... I could go on and on.

If you have specific questions ask, then, come see for yourself; it's definitely not at all like Carnival.

GN

That's an awfully broad question. You might want to read through the threads on this board to get an idea of the atmosphere on HAL, and also an idea of what some of us who sail HAL are like.

Ruth - You typed the words right off my fingers! I was going to suggest the exact same thing.

BHW - Ruth said it all. I can't add any more.

I'm 45 - and taking my 2nd HAL cruise on the Noordam in Nov, and I love HAL. I think you will enjoy the atmosphere, I did. I am not that experieced a cruiser as some - but I have to say that I do think HAL is a step above the rest and the service is fantastic, food is great, and there is still a nightlife - although a calmer one that I saw on the Navigator last year.

I think you'll be pleased.. when are you sailing?

BHW Girl

Hi all,

We have been cruising for quite some time. Mostly on Carnival (13X) and RC (2x). We are in our middle 40's and are getting tired of the party. Our last cruise we had horrible table mates, no manners and very rude to the staff. On the formal night they all showed up in jeans. Please do not think that we are snobs, but the way they acted was inexcusable. We usually book an inside upper cabin or a lower leval balcony. If someone would be so kind as to let us know about the cabins and the cliental it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..BHWGirl

Since I presume your a R.N. and from the Garden State home of the Statue of Liberty too.

I have a direct comparison in the medical arena.

H A L is like Mountainside/Valley all part of Columbia Pres... but many steps ahead.. they have Doctors which use there Doctors there from all over the world...

RCL NYSE: does at least dock at and leave from the old (MOTBY) US Naval Yard now Port Liberty ... But... is more like Orange Memorial,... oops thats closed now for lack of funding well how about the Vet in Paramus or Bergen Regional Medical Center always known before as Bergen Pines...

CCL: Is like Columbia Pres in NYC old and still functioning but not at par with its better parts in NJ aforementioned.

Carnival the parent of HAL now does have many ships and ports of call too but palls in comparison with her sibling HAL .

HAL has the largest repeat business of any cruise line Worldwide.. that does speak volumes by itself besides they started the Cruise Line way too besides founding NYC , yes Neuw Amsterdamn...

Cabins on HAL are normal clean efficient having fresh fruit daily as well flowers all over the ship .. chocolate that is dutched is a must!..

The Staff is miles ahead and trained extremely well. Other cruise lines should follow suit.

Guests on HAL ships have character.:eek:

Once you try HAL you may always want to be on her vessels more. :D

When are you expecting to journey and where?

HAL is understated and more refined.

Compare your cost basis too but include the staff differential once you cruise on her vessels.

grannynurse:

We just booked the Zuiderdam to Alaska for next July. We have sailed her twice before and really like this ship.

You are obviously a fan of HAL -- and rightfully so! I am too although I haven't had but the two cruises to date.

We are travelling with my BIL and SIL who also live in B.A. We also lived there previously -- the last location at Forest Ridge. We have now moved up in the world . . . to Bixby . . . ;). (I use Tulsa as my location--as a point of reference--since Bixby is not too well known. . . :D. In actuality, our neighborhood is just 1/2 mile from the dividing line.)

Nice to meet a fellow Okie!

We are in our early 50s. Cruised before on a number of different lines. Last year took Westerdam/Millenium for a week each. We booked on Noordam hoping to have as much fun as Westerdam on a longer trip. We loved Millenium (Celebrity) but after weighing the pros and cons, booked with HAL.

Hal had better beds, loved the Indonesian staff, just a little more fun. We are not into late evening entertainment (love mornings more). Celebrity was a more evening/spa oriented cruise.

I could always travel on HAL and be happy. In fact, we are investigating Alaska in 07 and maybe the Prisendam holiday cruise.

REVNEAL... after reading your message posted today, it reminded me to let you know how much we enjoyed looking at your photo gallery of the NOORDAM. We looked at these shots a few days before we boarded the NOORDAM to go on the same cruise in mid March. Your photography work is excellent. What kind of camera do you use?

Keep up the good work. We are looking forward to any future photos you add to your site.

Thank you both for your kind remarks.

Love Cruises, it was probably more enjoyable for me taking the photos than it was for you to view them. :D hehe

My primary use camera is an Olympus C-7070 Digital camera.

Here's a really good review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c7070.html

The 7070 cannot be bought new anymore ... Olympus discontinued it. If I were buying new today I would buy the Olympus EVOLT-500. It's a slightly better camera than the Olympus C-7070, but since I'm not a professional photographer (just a decent amateur) I'm happy with the semi-SLR features of the 7070.

Just got back from the Noordam. Great cruise. Nice Ship. You will have the reverse Carnival problem. You will be in the extreme minority age wise on this ship if you choose to cruise the Med. I am middle aged and felt like I was in a time machine carrying me forward twenty years or more. The few 40 somethings gravitated to each other which is fine but I don't think your ready to sign up for assisted living just yet. Carnival does have a nice ship in the Med and this may be a good option. There are very few party animals on Med Cruises unless maybe you choose Costa or a lesser line like it.

Just got back from the Noordam. Great cruise. Nice Ship. You will have the reverse Carnival problem. You will be in the extreme minority age wise on this ship if you choose to cruise the Med. I am middle aged and felt like I was in a time machine carrying me forward twenty years or more. The few 40 somethings gravitated to each other which is fine but I don't think your ready to sign up for assisted living just yet. Carnival does have a nice ship in the Med and this may be a good option. There are very few party animals on Med Cruises unless maybe you choose Costa or a lesser line like it.

The cost and duration, of a Carnival or a HAL cruise in the Med., makes it less attractive to passengers who want a good party on a cruise ship. They can achieve their objective at far less cost in the Caribbean. Cruising in the Med. involves a substantial time change and is very port intensive. Most people, regardless of age, tend to turn in earlier while cruising in the Med.

I would not hesitate to cruise with either Carnival or HAL, in the Med. and know the experience will be different that the typical Carnival cruise in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Archived