Gifts?

Sugar67

I came on here specifically to see what kind of experience you all have ordering gifts from HAL. My parents are going on the Westerdam this weekend and I had read on here (somewhere) that if you called them, they could give you advice and maybe have some other suggestions than what is on the order form. My parents aren't really into food (won't they have enough already?:) or wines (bringing their own) or flowers (takes up too much room in the cabin). So, I was looking into ordering the couple's massage that is listed on HAL's site, well, when I called, the agent didn't know what I was talking about. I said, well, do you have any suggestions, she was blank. So, I am hoping to call back later and have a more helpful agent next time...

I was just browsing "cost saving tips" and there are several companies that deliver gift baskets to the ships and they are very reasonable. Much cheaper then that from the cruise lines. HAL does have an $8.00 delivery fee, but from "gift Basket place there was no delivery charge, wine & beer baskets from about $27.00 and also non-alcohol baskets, I am going to have a couple baskets delivered to our room when we cruise in October, one for us and one for our grandson with pop,snacks, etc , this is the page I found them on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ey+saving+tips

....... Several links are posted and I looked at a few .... Most Sincerely, Dan :)

Spicey477 - For whatever reason spa packages have not historically been part of the gift program. I know I wanted to treat my wife to a spa package on our Oosterdam cruise a couple of years ago and went through the same thing you went through. The HAL website at the time seemed to imply you could book services ahead of time but that wasn't true or I was misreading the information. I'd read/heard/maybe imagined that HAL was going to expand their ability to pre-order spa treatments but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't happened. Might be because the spa is a contractor and not directly part of HAL....I really don't know.

Well, as an update. I called back, talked to Shara, very very helpful. She really couldn't suggest anything else except an extended wine list (read: Expensive). So, what we did was get 2 shipboard credits, one for my Dad for use in the internet cafe and one for my Mom for use in the spa. And of course, they can really just use it anywhere. That really worked out best as I wasn't sure how my Dad would do in a couple's massage...

I was just browsing "cost saving tips" and there are several companies that deliver gift baskets to the ships and they are very reasonable. Much cheaper then that from the cruise lines. HAL does have an $8.00 delivery fee, but from "gift Basket place there was no delivery charge, wine & beer baskets from about $27.00 and also non-alcohol baskets, I am going to have a couple baskets delivered to our room when we cruise in October, one for us and one for our grandson with pop,snacks, etc , this is the page I found them on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ey+saving+tips

....... Several links are posted and I looked at a few .... Most Sincerely, Dan :)

I could not get this link to work.

Thanks Cass! I like to think I am wonderful, but I am a daughter, not a son!:) We daughters know how to hook our parents up!

okay that explains it. I know i would never think to send anyone a gift that was going away for a vacation.

it' s like with baby announcements. I've learned to tell people to call The Wife's cell phone directly when they have info of that sort.

**Ring**

Me: what?

Caller: Just wanted to let you guys know that "X" had her baby 8lbs, 20", girl.

Me: okay i'll pass it on.

<later>

Wife: anything happen today?

Me: not much.

<or alternatively>

Me: somebody called and had a baby.

Wife: oh do you mean X?

Me: yeah it was 20lbs and 8 inches long.

Wife: girl or boy?

Me: oh, uh... they were too excited to say.

Wife: you're not very helpful

Me: I suppose.

Sounds *just* like my DH!!! Is it built into your genetics?:) J/K...

Anyways, parents should be on the ship by now, as it leaves in 2 hours, but I have not received a phone call yet. Either way, I know they are excited and will definitely enjoy the gifts.

"I could not get this link to work"- San Diego Single

I couldn't get it to work either. I Googled some sites, but I really didn't see anything different than what the cruise line offers.

Archived