Blue Herons......NYC Hotel

Jane110

Blue Herons,

I know you like to stay downtown and thought that if you didn't know about this hotel, you might want to.

Hotel Rivington on Rivington St.

www.Hotelonrivington.com

I'm sure it's very pricey, but you never know when you might find a deal?;)

It looks sooooo cool!

I'm having brunch at their restaurant THOR on Sunday. That's Kurt Brunner's place - the Viennese chef.

Well, as I said in my post, sometimes there are deals to be had and I know Blue Herons likes nice hotels and she likes downtown.

I didn't recommend this hotel for everyone, but I thought she, and others that like upscale boutique hotels would be interested in the information.

You would not have to stay at the airport and commute. There are cheaper hotels than this in NYC.

I had to look at this - one of my hobbies is genealogy, and my great-great-grandfather (1851 Irish famine immigrant) lived at 123 Rivington in 1866. This looks a little more upscale than he experienced on Rivington.;) It's nice to see the area doing well. Jane, please post your thoughts about brunch!

Blue Herons,

I know you like to stay downtown and thought that if you didn't know about this hotel, you might want to.

Hotel Rivington on Rivington St.

www.Hotelonrivington.com

I'm sure it's very pricey, but you never know when you might find a deal?;)

It looks sooooo cool!

I'm having brunch at their restaurant THOR on Sunday. That's Kurt Brunner's place - the Viennese chef.

How was it? Thanks for the tip on the hotel! It is fabulous!

At the rate lux hotels are opening in Manhattan, I certainly have a wanna stay list.

My all time fave is the St. Regis of course.

I think what most people don't realize is that $450 per night for a Manhattan hotel isn't the top end. The Mandarin Oriental starts at $695 a night.

Manhattan is in a league by itself when it comes to hotels. I think they've managed to outprice spendy London and Paris.

$450 per night. Think I'd stay at the airport and commute.:eek:

Not me.

I can't think of three more dismal areas in the tri-state than the immediate Newark, LaGuardia, or JFK airport areas. Newark is also home to one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. Manhattan has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation.

Well, if the ship is leaving out of Manhattan, it would be better (and cheaper!) to stay in Times Square. It's about....5 blocks or so from the docks? Give or take.

We stay at the Doubletree Guest Suites, right in the middle of Times Square. If you decide to stay here, ask to be put on one of the "end" rooms of the buildings. The building edges are circular & those rooms are bigger than the others. We always stay here when we take Amtrak to Florida.

Sorry to disagree with Jane110. I haven't found what I call any deals in NYC. I started looking a year ago, found the Edison at $199 last October '05. Now it's $350. And I think Tokyo would be the only place more expensive than NYC. I've traveled all over Europe and never paid more than $150 per night at a really nice Castle Hotel in Germany. Everywhere else the prices were from $20-50 per night for two people. London was $70 per night. That was pre-Euro dollar, but I'm sure the bargains are still there. Nothing close to NYC was anywhere near that low. As a US citizen wanting to travel within the States and see some of our Country, I'm disappointed that there isn't anything in NYC that is more reasonably priced. I can't believe people continue to visit NYC. If the ship wasn't sailing from there, I would forego visiting there, believe me.:eek:

Host Star - Lots of the hotels advertise the lower rates, but when you come down to booking on a weekend, they aren't that low. I just got an email from Marriott for two of their hotels in Times Square at $199. But when I tried to book it for Friday and Saturday night it went up to $299 per night. Found that a lot in my search. But even the transportation services there are expensive. I checked with 4 different taxi companies to go the 12 miles from Manhattan to Bayonne NJ to Cape Liberty Pier and they wanted $220 one way. That's crazy. I ended up hiring a private mini-van for $220 for the round trip from the hotel to the pier, the pier to the airport. I truly am amazed that ordinary travelers pay that kind of money. I'm expecting dining to be just as expensive. That's why I only planned the two nights/one day there. I can't afford that kind of travel expenses.

I can't believe people continue to visit NYC.

I checked with 4 different taxi companies to go the 12 miles from Manhattan to Bayonne NJ to Cape Liberty Pier and they wanted $220 one way. That's crazy. I ended up hiring a private mini-van for $220 for the round trip from the hotel to the pier, the pier to the airport. . I'm expecting dining to be just as expensive.

How many people are with you that you couldn't just take a cab to the pier? Its much cheaper and you can flag down cabs on every corner in Manhattan and there are cabs at the pier that can take you to the airport. A car service for me to get from Bklyn to Newark airport which is 2 exits after bayonne is $86

there are numerous reasons that I won't bother to go into why people visit NYC

As for dining it depends on what you are looking for as you can find restaurants at every price point. You can go to menupages, citysearch to name a few that will give you price points on different restaurants. If yo insist on going to chain restaurants and use that as a gauge on restaurant prices then it will be higher than what you normally pay (with all the great independent restaurants in NY I don't know why you would bother with a chain). If you are open to trying different ethnic foods, cuisines you can find very good food at every price point.

If you are looking at NYC in the fall you do need to book in advance but you can find deals if you look

How many people are with you that you couldn't just take a cab to the pier? Its much cheaper and you can flag down cabs on every corner in Manhattan and there are cabs at the pier that can take you to the airport. A car service for me to get from Bklyn to Newark airport which is 2 exits after bayonne is $86

folashade - you evidently didn't read the whole post. I checked with 4 cab companies on the Internet and they each quoted me approximately $220 one way from Edison Hotel to Cape Liberty Pier. Said because they were leaving New York City, they could charge me for the return, even though I wasn't in the cab. I searched on the New York website for trains, buses, etc. but we are two old ladies with two big suitcases each. I checked Super Shuttle and they will take us from the airport to the hotel, but not from the hotel to the pier. The mini-van I got is $80 + tip + tolls for I believe it is $98 from hotel to pier. From Pier to JFK is $90 + tip + tolls for $109. If I was paying that much, I liked the idea of our private vehicle better than a cab for double the amount. I tried to book transfers with Celebrity, but they only do Newark and LaGuardia. Trying to transfer all the luggage ourselves on shuttles from Newark or LaGuardia to JFK just didn't make sense either.

there are numerous reasons that I won't bother to go into why people visit NYC Prices certainly aren't it! As I stated in my post, I might stay outside of NYC and visit for the day, but if my cruise ship wasn't leaving from Bayonne, I don't think I would be staying in NYC. I only want to stay in a hotel, not buy it.

As for dining it depends on what you are looking for as you can find restaurants at every price point. You can go to menupages, citysearch to name a few that will give you price points on different restaurants. If yo insist on going to chain restaurants and use that as a gauge on restaurant prices then it will be higher than what you normally pay (with all the great independent restaurants in NY I don't know why you would bother with a chain). If you are open to trying different ethnic foods, cuisines you can find very good food at every price point. I'm told the Edison has a very nice restaurant right in the hotel. I hope the prices will be reasonable there. May end up eating bread and water as that will be all we can afford.

If you are looking at NYC in the fall you do need to book in advance but you can find deals if you look

Again, if you read my post, you saw that I booked my hotel almost a year ago. I searched all the sites (Priceline wouldn't guarantee two beds) (hotels.com, expedia, kayak, travelocity, yahoo, even NYC website for lodging). I did book Hotel Pennsylvania for $189 (but then they hit the news with the bedbug lawsuit, so cancelled that one) then found the Edison for $190 per night + taxes for $210. I am not kidding when I say that is the absolute most I have ever paid for a hotel anywhere in my travels, and I've been to Vienna, Rome, Venice, Naples, Bern, Brussels, Frankfurt, Athens, Amsterdam, Sydney, Perth, Darwin, Cairns, Launceston, London, Budapest, Honolulu, Papeete, Puerta Vallarta, Los Angeles, and many points in between.

New Jersey's Meadowlands complex has numerous hotels at reasonable rates and is located on Rte 3 just west of the Lincoln Tunnel and the Manhatten Terminals. The hotels offer Newark Airport Shuttle service and might even transport Cruisers to Manhatten, 5 miles away, if asked. There's numerous places to eat and there's a better view of the NYC Skyline from NJ.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/259072

also try Arecibo at 7187836465 should be less to Bayonne....I hope...

Smeyer419 - Yes, I check out travelzoo quite frequently. The hotel you have highlighted is $229 per night. That's not a bargain in my book. If they would even let you have that rate for two beds. That is another problem with hotels in New York City. They mostly offer the specials for only one bed. We are two gal-friends travelling together. We like each other, but we don't share a bed.

I actually booked with New York transportation a number of months ago. Another poster mentioned Carmel Limo's, but I was afraid we would have too much luggage for a taxi or sedan limo, even though the price may be more reasonable. Comparing the taxi quotes I got (5 different companies) I feel I did as well as I could at $80 + 15%, tip, tax and tolls from Manhattan to Cape Liberty Pier and $90 +15% tip, tax and tolls from Cape Liberty Pier to JFK. We each have a 28" (I think, it's the largest size without penalty) plus another smaller bad, plus our carry-ons, so that's about 6 bags all together to try and fit in a tax or sedan. NOT!:D

Smeyer419 - Yes, I check out travelzoo quite frequently. The hotel you have highlighted is $229 per night. That's not a bargain in my book. If they would even let you have that rate for two beds. That is another problem with hotels in New York City. They mostly offer the specials for only one bed. We are two gal-friends travelling together. We like each other, but we don't share a bed.

I actually booked with New York transportation a number of months ago. Another poster mentioned Carmel Limo's, but I was afraid we would have too much luggage for a taxi or sedan limo, even though the price may be more reasonable. Comparing the taxi quotes I got (5 different companies) I feel I did as well as I could at $80 + 15%, tip, tax and tolls from Manhattan to Cape Liberty Pier and $90 +15% tip, tax and tolls from Cape Liberty Pier to JFK. We each have a 28" (I think, it's the largest size without penalty) plus another smaller bad, plus our carry-ons, so that's about 6 bags all together to try and fit in a tax or sedan. NOT!:D

1. its 418 not 419

2. Unfortunately for a hotel in Manhattan its at the low end. I do know some european capitals that are more expensive(london for instance or Stockholm to name a couple).

3. Any limo(town car) can hold two people and all the luggage you have(some may have to go into the front seat. Try Arecibo...the amounts are high IMO. From the Bayonne terminal to JFK is not that far---as long as the Driver knows what he/she is doing 440 South to Bayonne Bridge(5.00 with EZPASS)...accross to V-N Bridge(no toll in eastbound direction) to Belt Parkway to Kennedy airport...

1. its 418 not 419

2. Unfortunately for a hotel in Manhattan its at the low end. I do know some european capitals that are more expensive(london for instance or Stockholm to name a couple).

3. Any limo(town car) can hold two people and all the luggage you have(some may have to go into the front seat. Try Arecibo...the amounts are high IMO. From the Bayonne terminal to JFK is not that far---as long as the Driver knows what he/she is doing 440 South to Bayonne Bridge(5.00 with EZPASS)...accross to V-N Bridge(no toll in eastbound direction) to Belt Parkway to Kennedy airport...

smeyer418 - sorry about that, typo. Well, the $210 I paid for Hotel Edison is the most I've ever paid for a hotel in all of my travels anywhere. If I had ever been to NY before, and knew how to get around, I would have stayed out of town, and commuted in. But as I haven't and haven't a clue how to get around, we are two older ladies on our own with 6 bags to transport from airport-to hotel-to pier-from pier to airport, was kind of stuck with choices. I don't see a website for Arecibo. I appreciate your tips. Thanks.

smeyer418 - sorry about that, typo. Well, the $210 I paid for Hotel Edison is the most I've ever paid for a hotel in all of my travels anywhere. If I had ever been to NY before, and knew how to get around, I would have stayed out of town, and commuted in. But as I haven't and haven't a clue how to get around, we are two older ladies on our own with 6 bags to transport from airport-to hotel-to pier-from pier to airport, was kind of stuck with choices. I don't see a website for Arecibo. I appreciate your tips. Thanks.

No website you have to call its 718 783 6465 or 718783 3030

NYC hotels are expensive an will continue to be.

Most people traveling to NYC don't travel there for leisure but for business.

The Euro is so strong against the dollar, NYC is a bargain for Europeans.

Most of the people in the hotels are tourists, not business people. Stand in the lobby of any hotel and ask.

see the ones with kids...

and many are from europe. Compared to their prices its cheap to come here now...

Most of the people in the hotels are tourists, not business people. Stand in the lobby of any hotel and ask.

see the ones with kids...

and many are from europe. Compared to their prices its cheap to come here now...

smeyer, I was in the hotel business for years and worked in NYC frequently and worked the NYC market. From Labor Day to Thanksgiving and January until school is out (skipping Easter and President's Week breaks), business travel is what is filling up the hotels.

Call and ask. Most hotels in NYC will tell you 70% of their business is the business traveler. If you'd like to email me in private (BlueHerons at hotmail dot com ) I would be more than happy to give you the DOS contact names for most of the larger Manhattan hotels.

While it used to be much worse, downtown (Financial District) hotels are half empty on weekends.

I'm not trying to argue with you even tho it sounds like it but I promise you I know what I'm talking about on this one.

smeyer, I was in the hotel business for years and worked in NYC frequently and worked the NYC market. From Labor Day to Thanksgiving and January until school is out (skipping Easter and President's Week breaks), business travel is what is filling up the hotels.

Call and ask. Most hotels in NYC will tell you 70% of their business is the business traveler. If you'd like to email me in private (BlueHerons at hotmail dot com ) I would be more than happy to give you the DOS contact names for most of the larger Manhattan hotels.

While it used to be much worse, downtown (Financial District) hotels are half empty on weekends.

I'm not trying to argue with you even tho it sounds like it but I promise you I know what I'm talking about on this one.

BlueHerons - I had heard this about the hotels being empty on the weekends, so I was surprised when I started to look for a room a year ago, and being told they weren't available, or they didn't have two beds available or the price was double what the special price started out to be. I have traveled all over Europe and just checked some of the hotels I have stayed at in Vienna, Budapest, London, etc., (at approx $80-100)and while the Euro has upped the cost somewhat, they are still reasonable at about $120-$130 per night for two people. There was absolutely nothing in NYC that was close to that price. Airport hotels are more reasonable, but if you want to see the sights in NYC, you'd have transportation costs, so then you're right back up at the $200 mark. In my opinion, that is way over priced, but as you say they will continue to be high as long as there are people that will pay it, and their rooms are full. Here in Los Angeles, there a lot of lower cost hotels/motels well below $200 per night. If the cruise I'm on wasn't going out of New York, these costs would have discouraged me from ever visiting., and I don't think I will ever be visiting again.:p

Archived