Mendenhall Glacier and Gardens

wintertexan

I haven't been able to find any comments on this NCL excursion. I'm a gardener and love to look at gardens of all kinds. Anybody take this tour and have some comments to make? Is it worth doing?

Winter Texan

Wintertexan

I Am Trying To Find Out If The Garden Will Be In Bloom When I Go May 11. I Kind Of Doubt It But The Web Site Does Not State Whether It Is Or Not. I Might Have To Email Them And Find Out. I Hope You Get A Reply.

Dusty - I met a honeymooning couple who went to the Gardens on our May 24th cruise. They raved about it (though I didn't ask if it was blooming or not). I tried to do the tour the following week but both times interfered with my whale watching excursion and I didn't want to skip Capt Larry.

This is definitely on my list to do next time.

:)

Thanks for the information on the gardens.

We have seen the botanical gardens in Anchorage and the Buchart Gardens in Victoria - loved them.

But many, many years ago when we went to Mendenhal, I don't think there were any gardens there.

So when we go back to Juneau we will definitely go to see them and the Jewels in Skagway (didn't have enough time when we were there last summer).

hi to all,we just came home today from alaska on the magnificent serenade of the seas,first cruise,definatley not the last.we took a cab to the gardens it was $18.00.i found the garden on the net before we left and i knew i wanted to see it.i actually met the owner cindy as i reconized her from the picture.i work in surrey bc in a garden centre so i found this trip beautiful,we did not have time to get to the glacier,i wish we had more time in ports.the weather was awesome,clear skys a little smokie on the top of the gardens,when you get to the top the view is awesome.when we got to the hubbard glacier the captain said this was the closest he has come,we were 2 city blocks away.the sun was out and the crashing of the ice was great.we saw lots of seals laying on ice bergs near the glacier,and lots of eagles and one black bear.the only time we had rain was a few hours on our day at sea heading to alaska.we also watched a pod of about 20 whales from our deck on night...........beautiful sight but it was too dark for a good pic.its neat because it does not get dark till 11.

just a note of caution,bring stretchy clothes,cause the pants you left in wont fit when you come home.....trust me.

:) BQ

Thanks for clearing things up. Now I know why we didn't see any gardens at Mendenhall years ago. Just thought that maybe they had recently been added.

Could the Glacier Gardens be built on a hill? We went to a garden a few years ago (I can' remember the name) where you rode golf carts and some of the trees were planted upside down.

Archived