Need help with excursions in Juneau

imakiwi

After reading threads on this board decided that we would like to do Captain Larry's whale watch and also the helicopter tour to Mendenhall Glacier. But the problem now is trying to schedule the tours. We are arriving on the Diamond Princess supposedly at 11am (but have heard it tends to run an hour late). So will probably be in port from noon until boarding at 9:30pm. Thought we would book the Helicopter tour through Princess (just because it is the same price as Temsco and if we are late, I would hate to miss the tour if booked independently). Princess offers the helicopter tour at 12:45 - 3:00, or 3:45 - 6:00, or 5:15 - 7:30. Carol at Orca said she has the 3:30 - 7:00 tour available, (I don't want to risk booking the noon tour, because we could miss it). So I was thinking the Princess glacier tour at 12:45 hopefully getting back at 3:00, then the Orca whale watch at 3:30. Is this feasible? How far away is Orca? ..... just checked the personalizer and the 12:45 and 3:45 helicopter tours are wait-listed. What does the mean? Will they become available? What should I do? :confused:

Awesome Orca's office is about a 5-7 minute walk from where the Princess dock is. Their office is right across from Mount Robert's tram. You can't miss it.

[IMG]http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/.cv/tlassek/Sites/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-06-27%2014.41.21%20-0700/Image-6FE67716C88111D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg[/IMG]

The helicopter tour may give you an option to be dropped off DT. If so, just look straight across from Mount Robert's tram.

Uggh - just read about you being waitlisted. They may or may not become available - someone (or several) would need to cancel before you can go on the excursion.

-----------

As much as I love Capt Larry and think his whale watching trip is awesome - I would book the only helicopter trip and whale watching through Princess if you can get on both through them.

With a wait list- I wouldn't count on it. You aren't realizing that both the airport and Auke Bay are in the same location- at least 20 mins from downtown. It makes no sense going back and forth. IF you want to do both- then I would Call Coastal/Orca Enterprises and COMBO book to make the best use of your time. TAKE their recommendations for scheduling- they know the best options. With a 3pm return and a 3:30 Orca departure- too tight with noncombo bookings. The cruise contracted flight MAY drop off downtown but if you aren't familiar with locations- it may not be the best option with a tight schedule.

Thank you both for your information. I just didn't know what best to do. I think the idea of a combo tour sounds good. It makes sense not to have to back track, especially since time is tight. I will definitely contact Coastal/Orca to do that. If it doesn't work out to do both, which ONE would you say I definitely need to do?

Thanks for your help.

We took both tours but my DH and I both agreed that we would go with the whales if you had to pick one. They did a good job of getting us to both the glacier and the whales.

Jenny
[url]www.gramug.org/monte/alaska[/url]

[quote name='Budget Queen']My top choice is a glacier helicopter landing- my opinion only!!! :)[/QUOTE]
Just came back. We definitely will do it again. We took the Helicopter to the Glacier and were on it for an hour. It was absolutely beautiful. We wish it would be longer. There are 3 levels trip. If you book directly with the company, you will save at least $50/pp. We booked via Princess but we were on the same plane and schedule with the rest of them (just paid more :rolleyes: )

It's a must see :cool:

Thank you Coral, Budget Queen, Jenifire, Aggie95, Krazy Kruizers, and Florida Beach for helping me with my excursions in Juneau. I successfully booked yesterday our combo tour with Orca and Coastal ($290.25 per person). Coastal is picking us up in town at 1:15pm, then Orca picks us up at Coastal on the way out to the whale watch approx 3:40pm, and returns us back to town by 7pm. So it is all going to work out. I am so excited, thank you so much for your help.

Archived