What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

People ! My DH and I like to watch the people. There is always someone that stands out in each crowd! We always come up with a name for them and usually see them then throughout the cruise...one guy named "TEX". He tried to be the life of the party everywhere while wearing his cowboy hat. then there was the "cougars". 3 women that were probably in their 50s wearing very short skirts and heels...they would walk in a line behind each other and "prance" around !!

Then there was the older couple dressed exactly alike from their red pants down to their white tennis shoes! We didn't come up with a name for them, but did take a picture since it lasts longer !!!LOL

We also play a game we call "real" or "unreal"...we will see a lady in the crowd and ask are those "real" or "unreal" !!!

What I assume you're trying to determine is "natural" or "enhanced"

* All that anticipation..Driving up to the ship, going up the escalator and finally walking onboard...best feeling in the world!

* Reading the cruise dailies each evening deciding what to do the next day.

* taking 976 photos of the water churning behind the ship because it looks so pretty then showing the photos to people trying to explain that "you had to be there"

I love it, I love it, I love it! Those sound familiar, and I have the extra anxiety of flying to get to a terminal - the longest hours of my life! I've been in that exact vacation photo sharing situation - non-cruisers just don't get it...

One of my favorite things was just sitting on the balcony listening to my MP3 and watching the sea. I especially like the flying fish. Blew me away first few times I saw those. Kicking back listening to any kind of music (I've nearly everything except ©rap on that little gizmo) I want. Only thing that makes it better is enjoying the finer spirits of Scotland and maybe a good cigar. ;)

Man, I gotta go put some Jimmy Buffet on now.

Fair winds,

JHC

Flying fish...lol I thought I was crazy when I first saw them, and no one believed me at first. When I mentioned the fish at dinner that night, one of the girls at the table said that she saw a plane flying next to the boat earlier that day...we think she had a wee bit too much rum... ;)

Having our passports stamped is what I miss when cruising. I have not yet found a way to have my passport stamped in each port. Here are a few things I have learned:

1. I read on a CC message board that you can ask the Purser to have your passport stamped at each port. That would mean that you would have to leave your passports with the Purser. We take our passports with me everywhere (you never know when they will come in handy).

TAKE YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE THE BOAT!!!! We had friends who almost got left behind on Curacao and they would have been screwed cuz they didn't have their passports!!! And yes, that trip 12...count them TWELVE couples got left behind in St. Martin because they weren't on the boat on time! Not cheap to get to St. Thomas from there.

My wife and I love to look around at everyone boarding or waiting to board and trying to pick out the person or group that we will invariably end up seeing all the time around the ship. Have you ever noticed how there is usually one or two people that no matter where you are or where you look, you tend to see them pop up all over all week?

The funny thing is, you usually notice them at the airport first...then allllll week long lol.

On my very first cruise (more than 30 years ago - EEEEEKKK!), one of the ship's entertainment staff took me the darkest part of the stern so that I could see a sky without the lights of civilization dimming the stars. The sky was literally powdered with them - it was a breathtaking site, and totally unlike anything I had ever seen before. Since then, at some point during a cruise, I go seeking that same kind of dark spot on the ship to get that thrill again. It's always somewhere on the bow or stern because there is too much ambient light along the sides where the balconies are. It gets harder all the time to find those kinds of places because most ships don't want the liability of allowing you into an unlighted area.

RCCL has the stern available...I spent most of my last cruise star watching every night from this point. It was incredible to see the different constellations as we moved further south. I plan on introducing my boyfriend to stargazing the cruiser's way when we go in December!

Ok, so my favorite moment(s):

I love love love! walking up to the Lido buffet in the morning and seeing a different view every day! That is always my favorite!

I love exploring the ship and seeing how uncrowded it really does feel at times even knowing there are like 2000 or so other people on board. Yes, you can find romantic corners! ;)

I now love having a chocolatey drink and finding a great people-watching spot to drink it from.

Laying by the pool and watching people run back to the ship after the time to disembark has passed and thanking my lucky stars I'm not one of those people down there!

Watching the flying fish...I've only seen them in the Caribbean, do they exist in the west coast of Mexico as well?

The comedy acts...as done by the cruise director, waiters, and ships captain...oh wait, that's not entertainment? lol :p

Watching the water, sunsets, stars...and knowing that this is all that I HAVE to do!

I could go on ... I'm sure this cruise I'll have some others to add as well :)

Not that I necessarily look forward to it, but it's something I call the the cruise ship smell. When you first walk onboard there is a distinct smell that cruise ships seem to have in varying degrees. It's not bad, just unique to cruise ships. It's like a signal that I am now officially on a cruise.

So glad I'm not the only one that noticed that, but it's part of my "happy place" scenarios!

We love the feeling of walking down the hallway to our stateroom and realizing that the gentle rocking of the ship is causing us to gradually weave from one side to the other.

I also get a smile from the crew members and tour operators who tell me they have a cousin in either Toronto, Montreal or Niagara Falls when they find out we're Canadian.

I think one of my favorite things is ordering breakfast via the menu you put out of your door and having it delievered to you. Eating it in those bathrobes is awesome. I also love strolling the lido deck and night when you can't see the difference between the sky and the ocean and the stars are bright! Hot Chocolate!

And since I turn 21 before my next cruise in March I'm looking forward to laying out by the pool with a fruity drink ;)

Edited by Lisa13750

I love the smell of the spa...I have purchased a few bath oils that almost smell the same, but not quite. I love my family, but I also love the "me" time I always find in the spa, sauna, and steamrooms, usually just me. Looking forward to the 24/7 spa privileges on the Dream, I may never go outside!

I absolutely love leaving the door to the balcony ajar so I can fall asleep to the sound of the wind and the waves. I can also see the glint of the moon and stars. I try to make sure and wake up in the middle of the night so I can go to the balcony and gaze at the stars .

I love getting on board and exploring the ship. My dh and I will know our way around the ship before it even sets sail.

I love love love the rocking!!! I love it when it is slightly rough too. I have a hard time falling asleep upon returning home without the rocking.

The oddest thing I love is getting my $10 watch. :D

Truly love just about anything involved with cruising. Starting with the moment when you've unpacked your suitcases and they are stuffed under the bed and you're ready to go! The point when your ship leaves the harbor and enters the open sea...ahhhh escape!

Waking up each morning to look out and see a place you've never been to before.

Gotta go book our next cruise!:)

riginally Posted by fresnel468 viewpost.gif

Not that I necessarily look forward to it, but it's something I call the the cruise ship smell. When you first walk onboard there is a distinct smell that cruise ships seem to have in varying degrees. It's not bad, just unique to cruise ships. It's like a signal that I am now officially on a cruise.

My DH and I love that smell, we call it the cruise ship smell too. When we are getting excited about an upcoming cruise I will look at him and just say "Can you smell it?", and he knows exactly what I am talking about.

We like to sit on our balcony after dinner with a baileys and coffee and rehash the day, talk about other passengers, and completly decompress.

I just read about 2 dozen of these and now I am feeling a little weepy thinking about cruises past and future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Some of the other things I look forward to when cruising are: being rocked to sleep, going to the midnight buffett (when can you do that at home :)), hearing the different accents of the staff, and feeling the ocean breeze.

The thing i love the most is being able to leave the world behind and spend time with my best friend, my husband. Leaving work ,kids, phone, responsabilities all behind and enjoy the balcony with our coffee in hand and knowing we deserve every minute of our fantastic adventure in front of us for the next 14 days.