What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

We love to watch the intoxicated people return from ports. I especially like it when we are side by side another ship and we yell back and forth. On one trip, both ships were cheering on the returning drunk runners. Felt like we were at a horse race. I truly love that people just want to relax and have a great time.

6 MORE days

Karen

• 1 month later...
We love to watch the intoxicated people return from ports. I especially like it when we are side by side another ship and we yell back and forth. On one trip, both ships were cheering on the returning drunk runners. Felt like we were at a horse race. I truly love that people just want to relax and have a great time.

6 MORE days

Karen

Everybody gets a kick out of that. Once I saw 3 armed (with machine guns) police types (in army style outfits) chase 2 guys to the ship. The Captain had to intervene so they weren't taken into custody. Never found out what they did. It was very dramatic.

I saw a Crystal ship and the staff handed out a drink and a washcloth to people returning from excursions. Nice touch.

There isn't much I don't like on a cruise except waiting for something to start, especially bingo which starts about 1/2 an hour after they say.

I love the sound of the chimes before an announcement early in the morning in your room - I get the same feeling as when I remember that first time I heard the music in the line for Space Mountain as a child!! I can't wait to hear it again.

What ship does chimes? They did on the Queen Elizabeth. I can still remember the tune. It was great.

* Getting that first glimpse of the massive size of the ship.

* Fruity drinks.. I am not a drinker, but love the fruit ones.

* Knowing I am able to visit so many different countries and not have to drive to them.

* Seeing my husband very relaxed and reconnecting with him

* Leaning against the railing staring out into the wild blue yonder. Looking at the same thing, but always seems like something is new.

* I am a picky eater, so being able to "try" new foods at dinner and not have to pay again if I don't like it.

* Walking around the ship after dinner, dressed up and so is everyone else.

* Time alone with my husband. Not people persons here. We like the solitude and being left alone.

My most favorite thing... THE MOST BEAUTIFUL TOURQUISE BLUE WATER.

(Tidy Bowl Blue!)

I love waking up in the morning on the cruise and thinking to myself...now what incredible list of things do I have to do today? Nothing. Even on weekends there is always housework, grocery shopping, fix-it jobs etc. but you aren't obligated to do anything but relax and enjoy yourself on the ship!!

I love to go out on the balcony, late at night right before bed, and listen to the water against the ship and stare at the jillions of stars. You feel like the only person alive... it's so incredibly peaceful out there.

I agree. Also love to watch sunrise from balcony, then go back to sleep. :)

I have never seen/found one on a Carnival ship. Though I have heard that they used to have one a few years back.

I have heard there was a topless area years ago on Carnival but never "totally natural".

European lines are far more likely to allow topless.

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite "odd" thing is feeling the rumble under my feet as the ship starts up its engines. The little girl in my head starts jumping up and down and yelling, "We're going! We're really going now!"

I have got to stop giving her sugar...

I think we all have that little kid inside of us who gets all excited, and thank God for it. That's probably why we all love cruising so much.

Edited by WeLoveAlaska

Getting my S&S card and hearing "welcome back"

Stepping foot on the ship. I know I 'there' and nothing can get in the way, or delay my vacation. All the worries go out the door!

After the third day or so at dinner, hearing the server name the fish dish when he asks for my order because they already know what I want. (I LOVE all the fresh fish on the cruises!)

ahhhh.....thank God for this site and all who post. It's what gets me thru till my next cruise! :o

I can't believe no said the passenger talent show:D

On my first cruise, there were 2 students from Juilliard who performed in the talent show.

They were much better than the ships paid performers.

But it is also fun to watch braves souls that don't have much talent but have a lot of fun on stage.:o

I also love to dress up for formal nights. I wear combats every day to work and were jeans or sweats when I'm not working so it is fun to dress up.

I always want to get on board as early as possible (who wouldn't?). Then we head up to the buffet to grab some lunch. There is something VERY Special about that first lunch. Hopefully outside while we are still in port.

The other thing I look forwad to is that first sound of the band playing for the sail away party. Nothing like it in the world.

Edited by tgptmp

On our last cruise I happened to have my cell phone in hand as we were leaving Galveston. The sense of relaxation when it lost signal was amazing to me. I'm so looking forward to it this year too!!

I forgot one of my most favorite rituals. Whenever we're sailing out of the home port toward the beautiful horizon I call my mom. And on the cruise I send DMom an Ddad on for their 25th wedding ann they called me on the way to sea. It's just great to share that moment with family, even when they aren't on the ship with you. Mom loves to hear the steel drums they play at sailaway.

I've finally gotten a new phone that has a camera, so it will be fun this year taking a photo and sending it to her so she can see AND hear sailaway :D.

the next best part...turning the phone OFF. :p

The breeze as I cross the gangway and enter the ship itself followed closely by the poster who mentioned the rumble under her feet as the ship pulls out......TOTALLY describes the excitement as the ship pulls out...and the overwhelming feeling of relief that YOU'VE MADE IT BACK AGAIN!!!!