What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

It doesn't get hot enough in the shower (think - swimming pool temperature)

I am living in China, and lets just say heat and China aren't exactly friends..... (although, we do have heaters in our apartment - many buildings don't have heat - there's actually a law against it)

I'm sure that affects the hot water somehow.... that or the sheer amount of people needing it right now...

Now I understand, I saw that you were from Ontario, and I did not believe that things were that bad, even for that area,:rolleyes:

Have a good cruise, AND shower.

john

My favorite is opening your cabin door for the first time and getting a look at the cabin before all of your luggage arrives!

Our first cruise was a repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver but we disembarked in Victoria (our home town).

We were traveling with another couple and our rooms were next door to each other. We arrived and viewed their room. Very nice. A queen size bed and little sitting area. Went to our room next door and I freaked because there were two twin beds. Our Steward said not to worry he would make it right. We went back to our friends cabin for a drink and when we returned to our room, VOILA! A queen size bed.

I felt like such an idiot. :o

Rockfan2

I look forward to trying every different kind of food, and I love that if I don't like it,I can start with something new and not have to pay for it. Also I love to hear the ships horn right when we are about to sail:D

I am the most pickiest eater around. You'd think I'd weigh less! :eek: I usually only eat what I know and am usually afraid to try anything new. EXCEPT when I go on a cruise. I feel liberated and uninhibited. I don't get too crazy. . . but I do try things I wouldn't otherwise have ever tried. In the MDR, I make sure to order two entrees just in case I don't like whatever adventurous meal I've opted to try, I'll have a 'backup'.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread makes me want to start packing.

I agree with many:

The donk of the S&S card

Muster drill

Hearing the blast of the horn

Feeling the thruster push the ship away from the dock

Sail away party w/ a fruity drink

Exploring the ship

Having the very large dinner menu handed to me

Sleeping in

No cooking, cleaning, or any other housework stuff

Our next cruise will be our first balcony I look forward to watching the sea

We will also be cruising with my BFF and her DH they are 1st timers, so it

will be fun to experience it again as a first timer through their eyes. :p

Deb

Being "rocked" to sleep

I read about this before I went on my first cruise and thought...uhh..okay...sure

After my first cruise, I understood.

The sound of the horn.

I love any and all.

Then I went on a Disney cruise and the horn played "When you wish upon a star" and it brought tears to my eyes. Not sure why..but it did.

Having a waiter place my napkin in my lap and handing me the first menu.

The first time this happened, I went ..whoa!

Then I realized the waiter wasn't getting friendly, he was placing my napkin. :D

Having someone scrape the little crumbs away from the tablecloth.

The first few nights back home, I keep waiting for that to happen...

The talking elevator announcements

I usually do that a few times in a department store when we get back home.... "boing...home and garden"..." "boing...accessories & lingerie"

:D

and yes.. I get strange looks and people hurrying off the eleveator once the door opens.

But once....I had a lady say "just off a cruise??" and I said "yes!"

then her and I just cracked up.

Not making my bed

It's so nice to come back to the cabin and have my cabin all neat and the bed made.

Chocolates and Towel Animals

for the first few nights when we return.... I put some chocolates on our pillows and turn down the bed. I try and make a towel animal, but they all end up looking like a lumpy snake :)

Watching the ocean

Just sitting on our balcony and staring at the ocean.

Sometimes I like to go out on a deck and use one of the lounge chairs and gaze.

Being Thankful

going on a cruise, makes me appreciate all my blessings.

I'm grateful I can afford to go.

I'm blessed to be able to see beautiful places.

The music on the sound system in our cabin. We leave it on low the entire cruise. Don't listen to instrumental music at home. Just nice to listen to as background music during the cruise - even in the middle of the night when we wake up for a potty run. Last thing we hear at night, first thing we hear in the morning.

Being "rocked" to sleep

I read about this before I went on my first cruise and thought...uhh..okay...sure

After my first cruise, I understood.

The sound of the horn.

I love any and all.

Then I went on a Disney cruise and the horn played "When you wish upon a star" and it brought tears to my eyes. Not sure why..but it did.

Having a waiter place my napkin in my lap and handing me the first menu.

The first time this happened, I went ..whoa!

Then I realized the waiter wasn't getting friendly, he was placing my napkin. :D

Having someone scrape the little crumbs away from the tablecloth.

The first few nights back home, I keep waiting for that to happen...

The talking elevator announcements

I usually do that a few times in a department store when we get back home.... "boing...home and garden"..." "boing...accessories & lingerie"

:D

and yes.. I get strange looks and people hurrying off the eleveator once the door opens.

But once....I had a lady say "just off a cruise??" and I said "yes!"

then her and I just cracked up.

Not making my bed

It's so nice to come back to the cabin and have my cabin all neat and the bed made.

Chocolates and Towel Animals

for the first few nights when we return.... I put some chocolates on our pillows and turn down the bed. I try and make a towel animal, but they all end up looking like a lumpy snake :)

Watching the ocean

Just sitting on our balcony and staring at the ocean.

Sometimes I like to go out on a deck and use one of the lounge chairs and gaze.

Being Thankful

going on a cruise, makes me appreciate all my blessings.

I'm grateful I can afford to go.

I'm blessed to be able to see beautiful places.

This list is perfect! I couldn't agree more :)

*I love knowing my way around a ship before I get on it. Counting my blessings that I am back again as I walk around seeing so many excited people knowing they are making memories also.

**After so many cruises the blast of the horn still gets me, just like it was my first time !

*** Seeing "strangers "on day one, knowing that in a couple of days I will be seeing " new friends"

• 2 months later...

Seeing DHs face as he checks out the cabin and balcony. He has Rheumatoid arthritis and is in constant pain, but still works hard for us and although I can see the pain on his face he never complains. Our one vice in life is our cruises and for him to know he has at least ten days of luxury and rest ahead of him is a joy. The cruise really starts when he has had his first beer in the warm sunshine and turns to me and says "This is the life eh babe?" and winks. Even though we are both approaching 60 and have been married almost 40 years it still makes my heart flutter. ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That first glimpse of the ship as you arrive at the port.

The tone that sounds before announcements.

The rocking of the ship.

Being rocked to sleep at night.

Sea days!

The wake.

Sunrises when there's no one else around.

The Yumm-Yumm man on Holland America.

Formal nights.

Ultimate Ship's Tour on Princess.

Getting to know the crew.

Getting to know other passengers.

<Sigh> Land vacations just aren't the same!

• 4 weeks later...

-The awesome feeling of walking from the check-in terminal to the ship, then the first step on board. Total freedom!

-The smell of the deck. Nothing compares.

-Walking around at night because of jet-lag if I'm far from home.

-Running around with my dad's camera, taking pictures of anything and everything, whether it be a light-bulb or a handrail.

-The sound of the S&S card checking in (really, my dad made a ring tone of it on our last cruise because it gets our attention).

-The sound of the bell before announcements.

-Walking down a hallway and hearing the ship creak.

-Being rocked to sleep.

-Getting breakfast from the buffet in the mornings.

-Watching movies under the stars if the ship has one of those huge pool side screens.

-For me, the teen clubs! I wanna go on as many cruises as I can before I turn 18 so I can get the most out of the activities for us younger cruisers.

-The way the pool gets waves when the ship is moving. So fun, unless the waves get a little too rough.

And, am I the only one who likes the muster station drill? Nothing says "you're on a cruise" to me more than being herded into a lounge for a safety briefing. :D

I think I mentioned mentioned almost everything! :P Hope you guys don't mind a long first post!

Edited by MarryTheNight

And, am I the only one who likes the muster station drill? Nothing says "you're on a cruise" to me more than being herded into a lounge for a safety briefing. :D

I think I mentioned mentioned almost everything! :P Hope you guys don't mind a long first post!

No I think that the muster drill is part of the cruise experience. I like to take pictures of us in our muster gear.

That was a great first post. You are very lucky kid. You have been on a lot more cruises than most people. But it looks like you have figured that out and are very appreciative that your parents are giving you these wonderful adventures.