Can YOU list the "extras" you pay for on Princess and NOT *insert mass market line*

sppunk

I've read this over and over and over and over and over and over again, and frankly tired of it.

I'm not a Princess cheerleader - heck, I've never stepped foot on a Princess ship (yet). However, I have done extensive reading on these boards, Princess' web site and other cruise review sites so think I can "roughly" know what to expect.

That said, I've sailed numerous times on all mass market lines - HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and RCCL. From what I can tell, ALL of these lines now charge extras from anything from a good cup of coffee to speciality restaurants to speciality classes/gym appointments/spa appointments/alternative dining venues.

Yes, I understand Princess' drink availability (non alcoholic) turns off some. Is not having a cup of lemonade going to run a multi-thousand dollar vacation for you though, seriously? If it's THAT big of a deal, is a $2/$3 charge a big deal when spending $2,000+ on a vacation? I think - primarily - not.

Yet, every day I read a Celebrity apologist here complain after a Princess cruise, "OH MY GOD! I was nickeled-and-dimed more than anything - I felt I was at a Hungarian flea market." Yet, on Celebrity last year, I never - ever - had been approached by so many hawkers for drinks and useless crap than on Constellation. Carnival had far less actually, despite having more announcements than Boston Logan.

So, someone - anyone - please explain the "multitude" of extras Princess charges its passengers that other lines do not.

Again, let me restate I am not a Princess cheerleader and have not stepped foot on a ship under Princess' umbrella, yet feel pretty strongly that Princess has mirrored the rest of the "dumbing down" of the mass-market cruise industry. In efforts to attract families ($$), you simply must scale back the luxurious offerings you once saw. If you want these, go to lines that do not cater more to families - a Seaborne, a Crystal, a Windjammer (ha!).

IYet, every day I read a Celebrity apologist here complain after a Princess cruise, "OH MY GOD! I was nickeled-and-dimed more than anything - I felt I was at a Hungarian flea market." Yet, on Celebrity last year, I never - ever - had been approached by so many hawkers for drinks and useless crap than on Constellation. Carnival had far less actually, despite having more announcements than Boston Logan.

This should be a pretty good thread. You presented it in a very non-threating way - hopefully there will be some constructive discussion here.

I just wanted to comment about the Celebrity comments you made as I have seen them also. The weird thing is that I have sailed Celebrity once and everything onboard was more $$. The drinks, shore excursions, transfers - compared to Princess. So while they may not charge for everything, the things they charged for were more then Princess. A friend recently returned from Celebrity who cruises a lot with Princess and the drink prices were easily 30-50% more on Celebrity. Internet is .75/minute (I believe) on Celebrity and .35/minute on Princess. For that reason - he felt nickel and dimed on Celebrity.

I look forward to the responses you get in this thread.

I don't believe that Princess leads the way in charging for items unncessarily,but I do blieve that they are following the lead of others. They provide services and items for people want them. I don't drink fancy coffee, so I don't pay for it. I don't go to the spa, so I don't pay for it. On other lines, they charge you for these services even if you don't use them. I prefer the break-out fashion by which Princess does business. You can go on a cruise and spend very little extra, if that is your wish. However, we do one cruise a year and we spend what we feel comfortable with on a cruise. I have never felt nickeled or dimed on Princess and I will continue to sail with the line.

Charlie

Interesting thread. As you can see from my signature, I'm a "veteran" of 4 cruises in the last 4 years. None of them have been on Princess but we're scheduled to sail next week on the Crown.

I've also been a bit surprised by what I've read about Princess's so called nickel and diming. Based on everything I've read here and what I've experienced on RCCL and NCL, the only thing that I won't get for "free" on our upcoming Princess cruise is lemonade and ice cream throughout the day.

Everything else appears to be comparable between the three cruise lines. I have no problem with paying for specialty restaurants, auto tips, or anything else I choose to spend money on. Prices appear to be similiar on Princess when compared to the other ships I've been on.

The one think I have noticed is that the Princess "base price" for a cabin is usually lower than on the other lines.

I was on the Constellation in April and have no idea what useless crap you are talking about. I don't remember one person trying to sell me anything.
Anything from drinks to gold chains to bingo. The drink pushing was the worst I've ever seen - I had the same waiter ask me repeatedly for drinks after I specifically said my wife and I do not drink alcohol. Was this a one-time thing? Perhaps, but a one-time thing can leave a bad taste as well.

I love Celebrity, but I have booked my Princess cruise because it's a significant cost savings, a better itinerary and from what I can tell a better ship. Plus for the alcohol drinkers Princess drinks appear to be cheaper, they have more pools (that are fresh water), and break their ships down into even more intimate (I have read too much so, though) than Celebrity.

I'm not looking to fight what other cruise lines do. I'm looking for some backing up of claims that Princess charges for more extras than any other mass market cruise line. I have yet to see such claims. When/if I do, I'll gladly feel the same.

Interesting thread. As you can see from my signature, I'm a "veteran" of 4 cruises in the last 4 years. None of them have been on Princess but we're scheduled to sail next week on the Crown.

I've also been a bit surprised by what I've read about Princess's so called nickel and diming. Based on everything I've read here and what I've experienced on RCCL and NCL, the only thing that I won't get for "free" on our upcoming Princess cruise is lemonade and ice cream throughout the day.

Everything else appears to be comparable between the three cruise lines. I have no problem with paying for specialty restaurants, auto tips, or anything else I choose to spend money on. Prices appear to be similiar on Princess when compared to the other ships I've been on.

The one think I have noticed is that the Princess "base price" for a cabin is usually lower than on the other lines.

Thank you, this is my exact feelings. Ice cream is available on Princess for free, though, several times a day. It's just not advertised as much as perhaps should be. I honestly think my sailing on Mariner of the Seas for our honeymoon was the most nickle-and-diming possible. The promenade, while lovely for many, is nothing but a place for extra charges.

I can understand those who have sailed with Princess for many, many years not happy with the way the line has gone. But they need to look at a line that is now what Princess was. Princess is a family-friendly mass market line now, for good or bad. Judging by profits, for good.

I sailed on RCCL in April and the cost of the soda card was nearly twice that of the one on Princess. I've purchased cruises three years in a row now for Princess and the cost has been significantly less than RCCL. I enjoy both cruise lines, but so far the prices for a Princess Cruise can't be beat. Of course my DW won a Grand Suite upgrade from our Inside cabin on the second night of our cruise, so we couldn't complain.

I have sailed both Celebrity and Princess. Princess 7 times and Celebrity once and in 3 weeks will be on another Celebrity ship strickly because of the itiniery. I am sure not an expert on Celebrity and I do not pretend to be but both lines do encourage buying drinks etc. The cost of drinks is higher on Celebrity than Princess by quite a bit. You do get free ice cream most of the afternoon on Celebrity where Princess maybe 1 -2 hours. Since we are platinum on Princess we do get free internet where Celebrity is quite costly for us and the cost of the internet on Celebrity is high.

To be fair when I was on my one and only Celebrity cruise it was in Alaska where drinks were not pushed much because of the weather. They do have punch and lemonade available at all times. Princess does not but it sure does not mean that I will stop cruising with Princess. I happen to like their product. I do like Celebrity regular balcony rooms as they have a small sofa there where Princess does not.

Anyway back to the subject if we choose to buy drinks on Celebrity which are more expensive we know going into the cruise that it will be higher so we adjust or budget. I truly do not think that either lines charges more than the other. About the same.

Marilyn

Sailed NCL this past May. Cost of cruise was an extremely good deal, but significantly higher was the cost of drinks, bingo, internet, spa. Princess seems to have a handle on pricing their cruises right with options to purchase what extras you want. Celebrity may have more included in their price, but you also pay for it! Nothing is Free!! Come on, just how much ice cream can you eat in a day!?! :D

I was on the Island Princess and the only extra cost I notice that for ice cream. There is free ice cream at meals and for a 2 hr period during the afternoon but any other time you paid extra. I think all lines push their specialty drinks and frequently ask if a passenger wants a drink during a show or in the lounges. Just because you do not drink alcholol does not mean that you might not want a soft drink or water. I never felt that bingo was pushed any more on any other line more or less than others. The promenade on RCCL ships is where the shops are and the other specialty niches. So of course there is a charge for things there. Princess has the same in the Atriums of their ships.

So based on my exprience I felt that there is no more nickel and diming from one line to another. They just charge different prices for different items.

Bill

I can compare RCCL and Princess, as I've been on both...I was pleasantly surprised that Princess charges 1/2 the price for their virgin drinks vs their alcoholic ones. On RCCL, we were charged the same price for both...how's that for nickel and diming when not neccesary?

I've sailed Celebrity, Cunard and Princess. They all charge for "extras" to some extent. With regards to Princess vs. "the others" the only thing that stands out is the charge for the Sanctuary on the Crown. Which is new, and they did as a result of too many passengers wanting to enjoy it.

As for "nickle and diming" of any kind. I find that when I read these boards I feel sorry for the folks that complain about these added costs. Sure, I can understand "budget". But when you take a vacation, any vacation, IMHO you are a fool if you worry about what it is costing you. Either plan ahead for the finances, or don't go, or let it go and enjoy yourself. It will be a cold day in hell before I let a few dollars ruin a vacation I take. I'd rather stay home and watch the tube till I can afford to go and do it right.

Guest BeckyThane
So, someone - anyone - please explain the "multitude" of extras Princess charges its passengers that other lines do not.

I found the things for which there was an extra charge were "icing on the cake" sorts of things, more luxury items. I'll try to be specific. (All these comments pertain to the KP, the only Princess ship I've been on.)

International Cafe: There were quite a few "upscale" items available here for no charge. Really nice pastries at breakfast -- no charge. Various salads (e.g., shrimp, Greek, etc.) and paninis at lunch -- no charge. Upscale desserts -- no charge. The big difference was in the evening hours, where it seemed the only thing available was tapas -- extra charge. Cookies -- no charge. Gelato -- $1.50 for three BIG scoops. (A much better deal than the no-brand ice cream at Haagen-Dasz prices in Scoops on the Lido deck! As many have noted, free ice cream on the closed side of the buffet daily 3:30-4:30.) Caramel apples -- $3. Marzipan -- 4 pieces for $3. Chocolate strawberries -- 2 for $3 (not sure on this one). Regular ship's coffee was free; brewed coffee was $1 or $1.50/cup. Various espresso drinks -- extra charge. Well worth it with the coffee card!

Vines: Sushi -- extra charge. (Don't know how much; we never got around to it!)

My one complaint is that every time I ordered a soda I was hounded to buy a soda card. The staff really needs to ease up on this one. Do they get a commission, or what?!? Every time I explained that I don't drink enough sodas to justify the expense, but if I dared ask for a second soda I was asked again!

Pictures seemed a bit pricey, but I don't know how they compare to other lines. I was simply thinking that they have to get their money up-front now. Since people can go home and make as many copies as they want -- without purchasing reprints on-board -- they've got to make their money somewhere?

Recreation: Bingo -- extra charge. Ceramics program -- extra charge. Wine tasting -- extra charge. Specialty exercise classes -- extra charge. Not having any of these things on my cruise is not going to ruin my time, though.

I also notice that Princess is not now the only one to charge extra for access to a secluded area of the spa -- Norwegian Dawn now charges for access as well.

Drink prices seemed quite reasonable to me, but take into account my basis of comparison is the D.C. and NYC areas -- $7.50 for a burger and fries at WDW seemed pretty reasonable to me, too. :p

I don't see Princess doing anything different than any of the other mass-market lines. The things they charge extra for are not going to make or break my cruise. They're luxury items, "icing on the cake," which I usually find I don't need or want.

I have read three or four threads here about the 'nickle and dime'ing' that apparently occurs on various cruise lines? Perhaps it is because I do not understand the defintion of 'nickel and dime'ing'...I thought I did...but may be not.

I am not a veteran crusiser. Having said that I don't think it makes any difference to this argument anyway.

We booked our cruises based on itinerary and cost. We research the CC boards about the specific ship and the service it provides. If all comes out the way we like it, we buy the cruise.

We don't use the spa. We don't care if there is one and we don't care how much it costs!

We don't drink alcohol (wife drinks wine with dinner) so we don't care what the price of drinks are!

We don't buy gold and silver by the inch, foot or yard so we don't care if it is offered, and we certainly don't care how much it costs.

We like one picture taken by the pros onthe ship. Don't care what it costs, we'll buy it!

I gusess what I am trying to say here is, who cares what these things cost or don't cost. If you don't like the price don't buy...if it is essential that the item is on the ship then find the company that offers it for free!

For anyone to decide on whether to take a cruise or not to take a cruise based on the cost of a cup of coffee, ice cream, or the price of drinks that are over-priced to begin with boggles he mind.

We want a mini-suite...we want it spotless...with a good bed...with good cabin service. We want three decent meals a day...we want a couple of fun snacks that we would probably not eat at home...we want good.... and most important.... friendly service. We want any problems that should arise addressed quickly and efficiently. That is what we expect Princess to deliver for the price of the ticket!

Anything else we want we'll pay extra for...and we know we will pay extra for before we even get on the damn shipbecause I don't see any of these companies hiding anythingh! Granted, some of them are not doing a very good job letting potential customers what they have to pay for...but that's what these boards are for!

If we are not going to get that then we're not buying.... but free ice cream ain't the deal breaker!

Just my thoughts

Tom:(

Anything from drinks to gold chains to bingo. The drink pushing was the worst I've ever seen - I had the same waiter ask me repeatedly for drinks after I specifically said my wife and I do not drink alcohol. Was this a one-time thing? Perhaps, but a one-time thing can leave a bad taste as well.

I love Celebrity, but I have booked my Princess cruise because it's a significant cost savings, a better itinerary and from what I can tell a better ship. Plus for the alcohol drinkers Princess drinks appear to be cheaper, they have more pools (that are fresh water), and break their ships down into even more intimate (I have read too much so, though) than Celebrity.

I'm not looking to fight what other cruise lines do. I'm looking for some backing up of claims that Princess charges for more extras than any other mass market cruise line. I have yet to see such claims. When/if I do, I'll gladly feel the same.

Sir, I am sorry that a waiter asked you if you wanted something to drink but you said "useless crap" and that just wasn't the case on Celebrity. Gold Chains can be purchased by the shops- people go to the shops to shop. The bingo cards are only sold if you go to Bingo. Why else would you go!

You made it sound like people were walking around saying "peanuts, get your peanuts!"

Celebrity is very low key, few announcements and no one walking around the ship trying to sell anything- other than drinks, which are more expensive on Celebrity than on some of the other cruise lines. But I only drink one or two- so this doesn't bother me. All cruise lines have people that walk around trying asking if you want a drink- Thank God!

My one complaint is that every time I ordered a soda I was hounded to buy a soda card. The staff really needs to ease up on this one. Do they get a commission, or what?!?
Similar to what happened to us:

While around the pool area at lunchtime, we were constantly being asked if we wanted a drink. (One time I counted six servers -- one after another)

I finally wrote NO DRINKS on a napkin and they left us alone.:rolleyes:

I was just going to say that Clutterlady.. We sailed on NCL in July and waiters were almost non exsistant by the pool... If you wanted a drink you had to go to the bar to get it.. I missed not being asked often if I wanted a drink.

As far as Celebrity. The one time we sailed with them, we loved it and never felt that we were always being sold something. We received really good service without a sales pitch. To bad though, I found the prices are higher for the base cruise on Celebrity and I cant justify the extra cost when I compare then to other lines.

Then, I have to say that I do not think that cruising is a cheap vacation. Ya know you hear all the time that it is all inclusive but it really is not. Once you add up the base cost plus all the other purchases you make, it is actually expensive. We not to long ago did a weeks land vacation in Aruba, and in the end it was less expensive than the total cost of a balcony cabin cruise. As long as you understand that you will pay some of it now, some of it on the cruise, then it is fine... Just cannot venture into a cruise thinking you are getting this great vacation deal.... It is really quite comparable, cost wise, to all other vacatioins. We cruise often because we love the whole package in one place. Good entertainment, food, ect is what we get when we cruise, at a price the market will bear.

Archived