Has Anyone Returned from a Fantastic Caribbean Cruise . . . with a cold?

ladycaveat

I developed bronchitis on both of the cruises that I have been on. The first cruise I went to the ship doctor and the antibiotic he prescribed did nothing; had to go to my own doctor after the cruise. The second time I was showing symptoms by the end of the cruise.

This time I'm loading up on zinc lozenges & vitamin C and avoiding the hot tub!!!

mary

It had been a while since i got the flu on a cruise but last December I got sick on Thursday night with the worst flu I have ever had - sick in cabin for Friday and Saturday and got off the boat Sunday and missed 3 days of work.... Much rather have been well at work. It was going around at home though so who knows how it hit. Still had a great time and luckaly had a balcony so being in the cabin wasnt' so bad. I had made the mistake of saying we were not spending enough time in the cabin to enjoy it for the $500 it cost over an outside - well that solved and it was well worth every penny!!! :o

I so know how you feel - I spent 2 hours in the Cayman islands lookng for a pharmacy with cold meds and ended up with a $12 pack of something... I bring cold meds now... More to pack but well worth it if needed... :o BUT at least hubby and another couple stayed with me in my search and then we found a van driver on one of the back streets to give us a tour just the four of us all over the island for about 1/2 price so it worked out for everyone... :D Debbie

By the way - cruisinbuddy - Tequila does not kill food poisoning - maybe colds.... I got food poisoning on a cruise - sick for 2 weeks. That was right after a "tequila" snorkle excursion so I didnt' get the flu but I was SICK!!! :o

Soemtimes i feel like I am the only one who gets sick - so glad I have not been alone although I wouldnt' wish it on anyone!!! Debbie

We, my wife and I, have both caught colds on Caribbean cruise. I have always suspected the cold A/C on the ship combined with hot humid weather in the ports and on the decks of causing them. IMHO.

Have a great next (cold free) cruise.

Just back from Hawaiin cruise. DH and I both have colds. His started about the time we got off our 9 1/2 hour flight and mine 2 days later.

He saw the ships doctor because he has a history of head colds turning into chest colds with fever and we sure didn't want that to happen.

No, but I got a heck of a honking cold when we got back from an Alaska cruise a week ago. Luckily it didn't hit until we got to Seattle, but it was horrible. Musta caught it on the ship, despite all the disinfectant squirters they have all over the place! I guess the answer is a face mask, too:D

I just got home 3 weeks ago. The morning we got off the ship, I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a train. I would have paid a million dollars to not had to have gotten out of bed that morning!! We were driving home from FLL so our first stop was the Walgreens a few blocks from the port. I loaded up on cold medicine for the drive home. I was asleep before we hit the turnpike and slept all the way home. That was a Saturday. I did not get out of bed until time to go to work on Tuesday...and then I only stayed a few hours. First time I have ever been sick on/during or just after a cruise!

• 4 years later...

On four of my first five Caribbean cruises, I came down with colds during the last 24 hrs onboard. Cruises to other places, even involving flying to get to the departure point? No problem. Since the problem happened only on those trips to the Caribbean, I think it had something to do with the rapid change from icy northeast to tropical heat-- and the ship's AC probably didn't help much either. This has not happened since 2005, however.

That's probably due not only to my increased caution about not touching handrails and such if I can help it, but also to the cruise lines' installation of rubbing alcohol (hand sanitizer) dispensers all over the place. Of course, the drinkable kind of alcohol can't hurt either-- that kills germs in your throat, right?:D

Speaking of killing germs in the throat, I won't travel ANYWHERE without zinc lozenges now (I think Cold-Eeze is the big national brand). If you start taking them at the first sign of a headcold-related sore throat, it reduces the symptoms enormously, and can sometimes even knock the cold out completely before the infection can really settle in.

Out of 5 cruises, only once have I gotten a cold. Luckily it started 2 days post cruise, and on day 3 post cruise I was having surgery (not related to the cruise ;)). I didn't notice the cold after that due to the awesome pain killers. :D I was still sick, but just didn't care.

Archived