Hal Survey

a1moty

We had a wonderful cruise....the Westerdam is a beautiful ship. The staff and crew is helpful and thoughtful.

If we were just given the survey and asked to fill it out we would probably have given 90-95% of the highest scores----9's---(because HAL knows that no one is perfect: aka:10). However, at the disembarkation talk, the cruise director stressed that anything less than a 9 pretty much means that the ship sank! He encouraged us not to deduct points because of one or two bad experiences or encounters with staff.

I feel the HAL survey is a joke!! Does anyone else feel this way?

It is really a shame and doesn't give real credit to the terrific members of the Westerdam (or any) Crew. I couldn't have been happier with my cabin seward or the wait staff.

I am not crazy about how they are handling the soda cards now and one of the girls at the front office was rather snippy with me--but would I have docked them more than a point? Probably not!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

How about awarding the points in the survey portion, but be specific with your one or two issues in the "free response" area at the end. We always try to be specific with the open ended section in the end -- to name names, etc to give special praise or to be critical. That is the section that allows you to really communicate your needs. I always hope someone is listenting.

What do others think?

I'm with KK.......

I complete the survey to reflect exactly what I experienced. Usually it's almost all 9's (or we wouldn' be sailing as often as we do with HAL), but if I think one specific area was less than it should have been, my survey responses indicate that.

1. I complete the surveys honestly and openly (as this is how I like to be evaluated at my job.)

2. It has to keep or be someone's job to tabulate the results into some kind of format, thereby saving someone's position.

3. I give 10's when I really want to use them, as I do 10 work at times, not in all area's (especially the paperwork part of my nursing, but I do terrific patient care).

4. These things mean squat to monies (as my personal evaluations once a year). But they should help with customer service and make not only my next cruise but that of my fellow passengers more pleasureable if someone takes the time to correct the things written.

Linda

4. These things mean squat to monies (as my personal evaluations once a year). But they should help with customer service and make not only my next cruise but that of my fellow passengers more pleasureable if someone takes the time to correct the things written.

Don't be so sure that your survey results don't equate to money. I've been told that one of the best things you can do for outstanding crew members who made your cruise a special experience is to write that stuff in, mentioning them by name, on your end-of-cruise survey. If a particular cabin steward or other service person gets a special mention on a customer's survey, it could mean a half-day off in a port or some other special incentive. While that might not sound like much to us, those service people work very, very hard and an extra half-day off is a coveted treat ... even if they use it for nothing more than sleeping in that day.

I always try to make special note of those people who made my cruise an experience to remember.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Having done my time in the food service gulag putting myself through school I know from personal experience that its important to give positive feedback in the form of praise & tips for good service. Its also important to explain why you felt you got poor service as well.

One thing I put on the miscellaneous section of my comment card was I wanted to have hot sauce such as Frank's Red Hot available in the Lido. Have they added that condiment? I don't know, but I'm tempted to bring my own bottle next time I cruise just to be sure.

I do not heed the cruise director's instructions to give 9's. (I give an audible groan at that point in the talk.) I rate honestly on a sensible 0-9 scale. One of my comments is that it is crazy to ask us to give only 9's. Why not go with honesty instead of automatic 9's.

I do have a great time cruising, I do not let small things upset me, but I will encourage HAL to improve.

On our last cruise, on the Oosterdam, our dining room waiter told a story about a newlywed couple on a recent cruise. They filled out the survey, but apprently misunderstood the instructions. They gave him all 1's!!!

His supervisor was about to rip him a new one, when they both noticed that, while the numbers were all low, the written comments were glowing. IIRC, the couple also added an extra amount to the tips on their shipboard account. The supervisor grudgingly admitted that the couple apparently thought that 1 was the highest, not the lowest rating.

So, for those who might think that no one takes those surveys seriously, this story seems to disprove that.

Paul Noble

I know that they look at them carefully. On our second cruise I filled out the survey and did put one instead of nines :o . My room steward was in my room within hours of turning in my survey. The poor boy was practically in tears and in fear of his job. We immediately contacted his supervisor and explained the problem. I felt so bad for our cabin steward. He looked at me and said Ma'am Trisha, you gave me a big tip and said nice things, why did you flunk me on the survey?? We actually wished we could have done more for him I felt like a creep there for awhile. Not a good feeling.

I do fill the cards out honestly and fairly, I fill out the " let us know" cards for anyone who deserves special mention.

I don't hesitate at all to rate below a 9. I have also experienced the talks where you're practically told to award only 9s. I'm sorry, but it's not gonna' happen that way. Certainly do NOT give a 1 for something just because it wasn't to your standards; but if something is below par it should be noted by filling in the proper circle as well as a written comment.

Well, we didn't even attend the disembarkation talk, so I didn't know I was supposed to put down all "9s".:rolleyes: Yikes!

I gave credit where credit was due, but I didn't hesitate to give numbers lower than 9 in those areas that I thought needed improvement. I gave kudos to those crew members (and they were many) who did an outstanding job, mentioned them by name on the survey, and gave some crew a tip over and above the automatic gratuity.

I too find being told how to fill out comment cards more than a little distasteful.

IMO, 9 is for someone who walks on water: remembering my name, anticipating my needs and resolving issues to our mutual satisfaction and with a pleasent attitude.

4 is for Average service: Doing what is requested, but not not going to any extra lengths to anticipate needs or make one feel welcomed, and issues would be dealt with by referring one to a superior. This is what I would consider typical McDonalds service, where they take your money and hand you a bag w/ little interaction or even a smile.

1 is for poor service, misinformation, or or denial of service issue with no resolution offered.

6's and 7's are to be expected & 8's are to be praised, but 9's should only go for Exceptional service by people who stood out so much that you'd probably mention them by name on your comment card. These are the people who deserve to be "Employee of the Month"

I know that HAL strives for 9's across the board, but they need to be gained honestly, not by CD's telling you that everything should be a 9 since the ship didn't sink - as it would be entirely possible to get a 9 in certain areas even if the ship did catch fire and sink like Prinsendam (I).

I too find being told how to fill out comment cards more than a little distasteful.

IMO, 9 is for someone who walks on water: remembering my name, anticipating my needs and resolving issues to our mutual satisfaction and with a pleasent attitude.

4 is for Average service: Doing what is requested, but not not going to any extra lengths to anticipate needs or make one feel welcomed, and issues would be dealt with by referring one to a superior. This is what I would consider typical McDonalds service, where they take your money and hand you a bag w/ little interaction or even a smile.

1 is for poor service, misinformation, or or denial of service issue with no resolution offered.

6's and 7's are to be expected & 8's are to be praised, but 9's should only go for Exceptional service by people who stood out so much that you'd probably mention them by name on your comment card. These are the people who deserve to be "Employee of the Month"

I know that HAL strives for 9's across the board, but they need to be gained honestly, not by CD's telling you that everything should be a 9 since the ship didn't sink - as it would be entirely possible to get a 9 in certain areas even if the ship did catch fire and sink like Prinsendam (I).

I think your rating system if a little (actually a lot) skewed to the low side. I am sure everyone would take a 4 as absolutely bad service. Average service should probably get a 6 or 7, 8 for good service and 9 for excellent service. 10 should be reserved for spectacular service. My guess is that HAL would question any employee with grades below 7, so you should take that into account. Do you want to give this guy or gal a bad grade?

Cruise directors should be told NOT to give any recommendations at the disembarkartion talk. Then they might get a more honest evaluation of the product. If the surveys are all 10's then they are only lying to themselves, and that can be disasterous.

It is obvious to me that a cruise director who "directs" us to put no less than a 9 is not interested in an "honest" evaluation.....he or she just wants a GOOD evaluation for HIS ship. All I can say is they should relax...on the whole they do an outstanding job and the survey will reflect that...and some few negative comments, every now an then, can be constructive.

To be honest, we did not hear our CD on the Statendam last month tell us to give a 9 because the ship didn't sink. He did say that HAL strives for sevice to be a 9, but for us to honestly fill out the survey. There is room on the back to mention specific people or events that surpassed or were below expectation.

I appreciate the fact that HAL gives both of us a survey to fill out. My thoughts on an area might be different than DH's. We both have an opportunity to express an opinion. We have also been on other cruise lines when postage stamps are bigger than the space they give you to write comments.:)

We have been on 12 HAL cruises- and as a matter of fact are leaving for Rome/"Noordam" tomorrow. We ALWAYS write down the names of the ever-helpful crew as we run across them -from room stewards to Crows Nest to dining room. To say something complimentary about these dear people BY NAME is such a SMALL thing to do for them -and it goes "On their perminent record!" Please - think how much a nice word says about them- but also about how NICE YOU are!! Anne

The company I work for puts great stock in reviews and ratings… stressed as part of the “culture”. This is beyond the documents that contribute to your contribution and compensation review.

I have always felt that providing feedback is a positive event, even if the feedback is in part negative. The feedback is the key to forward thinking endeavors to improve the product, in this case the cruise experience. I must trust that my approach will be a contributing factor to future cruises and passengers will benefit.

The numerical or alpha system is important to me only as a reference point. Starting at n and going to n+ is a defined range that Holland America chooses. So trying not to be long winded, I want to be honest in my rating and remarks combined. I feel that an unexplained rating is useless other than for raw statistics. I have not had my first cruise yet, but will be prepared to provide an evaluation that includes specific reference to individuals who provide that level of service, whether it be outstanding, and hopefully not, less than acceptable.

Just my 2 cents….

Archived