Can I take my own bicycle?

TN Cruise Traveler

It seems like I remember people taking bikes off cruise ships but then again the Sr. moments are getting very frequent....

I have an upcoming Carnival and then later a Holland cruise.

If so, do the ships have extra storage or would we have the challenge of tucking bikes into the already amusing sized rooms?

Thanks!

This is Carnival's policy. I suspect it is the same with other lines.

Safety Concerns: Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board nor are permitted on board:

Bicycles

Surfboards

Scooters (unless medically necessary)

Boats/Canoes

Scuba Tanks (empty or full)

http://carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

I suspect the people you saw were crew members. On one cruise, I saw our cruise director taking a bicycle ashore.

The bikes that you see going on and off the ships belong to the crew and it's how they get around at whatever port you are docked. We saw lots of bikes on a tender to one of the Tahtitian stops and asked. Sorry, but many ports have bikes you can rent in lieu of bringing your own.

Charlie

Couldn't believe it when the RCCL ship next to us started unloading Harleys this winter!!! Think it was St. Maartin. There were 28 Harleys then the passengers who owned each bike came out and together they all rode off the pier. Know they went to the Harley dealership then saw all 28 bikes parked together on the waterfront. In the afternoon all bikes were loaded back on the ship. Don't know where they went next but bet the bikes came off at other ports.

Our son used to race BMX bikes all over the country- 20" & 24" size. People who flew to races had bike bags they put their bikes in and checked them with their luggage when they were fyling. Would this work for you? Bike shops should have them or get one for you. Been to just about all the ports and don't remember seeing any place to rent a bike.

Couldn't believe it when the RCCL ship next to us started unloading Harleys this winter!!! Think it was St. Maartin. There were 28 Harleys then the passengers who owned each bike came out and together they all rode off the pier. Know they went to the Harley dealership then saw all 28 bikes parked together on the waterfront. In the afternoon all bikes were loaded back on the ship. Don't know where they went next but bet the bikes came off at other ports.

Our son used to race BMX bikes all over the country- 20" & 24" size. People who flew to races had bike bags they put their bikes in and checked them with their luggage when they were fyling. Would this work for you? Bike shops should have them or get one for you. Been to just about all the ports and don't remember seeing any place to rent a bike.

I see you are allowed to bring roller skates, I don't understand their thinking on no bikes in port, but I assume it would be a storage problem.

Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board but may be brought on board for use in port, only:

Roller Blades/Skates

Snorkel Gear

Skateboards

Golf Clubs

Fishing Rods (packed)

Tennis Rackets

Kites (packed)

Miscellaneous Concerns

I see you are allowed to bring roller skates, I don't understand their thinking on no bikes in port, but I assume it would be a storage problem.

Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board but may be brought on board for use in port, only:

Roller Blades/Skates

Snorkel Gear

Skateboards

Golf Clubs

Fishing Rods (packed)

Tennis Rackets

Kites (packed)

Miscellaneous Concerns

You may not be able to understand the thinking, I don't think any of us understand the thinking of many but the policies are just that: you can't bring a bike on board. NMNita

• 9 months later...

I was on the Amsterdam world cruise in Jan-May 2007 (Holland America Line).

There was a couple on the ship who had brought 2 folding bikes and they were allowed not only to bring them (they kept them in their cabin) but they also used them in most ports around the world. I got to know these people personally and they told me that it had worked well with them. But maybe a world cruise is different, on that cruise there was a woman who had taken her sewing machine and another one had brought along her own Lazy Boy (she was on the unlimited baggage allowance deal - offered to verandahs and suites) !!!! Oh and I was forgetting, the couple who had the bikes also brought their own printer !!!!

This is just from my experience from the world cruise. But I think that folding bikes should be fine. They would classify the same as golf equipment, wouldn't they. And they are lots of these on any cruises.

Louise

I see you are allowed to bring roller skates,

I think you're right. Those items listed are all relatively small... There are no small bikes. LOL (Although I don't know why they foldup bikes wouldn't be allowed.)

Bonnie......

RCCL has an annual Harley cruise...The bikers are allowed to bring their bikes for this one cruise...I have heard more and more are getting into this each year...The ship makes a special area for the bikes...I think the area where they load the baggage is used for loading and unloading the bikes...:D

Archived