Fares Guaranteed/Confirmed Reservation

hammybee

AAAAmerican: Again, you are creeping me out, because I understand what you are saying- is it perhaps a NJ thing? ..................

I would be afraid, very afraid:eek: .

But back on topic, this is merely a right that HAL and other cruise lines have in their contract to protect themselves, but in 25 years of cruising I've never seen it invoked. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Not talking about a "glitch" ... that's another matter.

I remember last year about Thanksgiving time that the boards were all lit up about folks receiving letters saying that their fares would be increased by $xx for a fuel surcharge. It didn't actually happen on HAL, but it might have happend to pax on other lines. Then again, those fuel letters may have been rumors. I just remember folks getting their knickers in a twist & no one actually ever got a letter. :)

I got a brochure in the mail from Crystal Cruise Lines a couple of days ago and it clearly states in the brochure that a surcharge of $5.00 per passenger per day will be assessed for fuel surcharge.

Luckily most of the folks that sail Crystal can well afford the $5.00 each but for me with a 49 day cruise aboard the Amsterdam coming up early next year that would be hard to take. The cruise is wiping out my savings account as it is, but hey you only get to take a once-in-a-lifetime cruise once in your life:D .

Valerie

I got a brochure in the mail from Crystal Cruise Lines a couple of days ago and it clearly states in the brochure that a surcharge of $5.00 per passenger per day will be assessed for fuel surcharge.

Luckily most of the folks that sail Crystal can well afford the $5.00 each but for me with a 49 day cruise aboard the Amsterdam coming up early next year that would be hard to take. The cruise is wiping out my savings account as it is, but hey you only get to take a once-in-a-lifetime cruise once in your life:D .

Valerie

*YIKES* Why in Charles Dickens then are you going to ply on the waters?

Your savings account, I know interest rates are still very low and inverse yields curve is at hand in the 15-12-6-3-1 mo ranges stlll, why would you ever wipe that out?

Its like taking a foundation off a building hoping for it not to collaspe...

With a Fuel Surcharge are they going to rebate it or expunge it in the current voyages? Fuyel costs are again way down even auto petrol here at 87 octane is only 2.25 $USD a gal. now.

Investing your profits from dividends, now at the lowest taxation rate ever in our US history... there you can set up a seperate account and then have that savings ..pay for your world cruise.. did you see how many days now the HAL New Cruises are in the NEW Mariner Isssue...OnLine and Hard Copy...

*YIKES* Why in Charles Dickens then are you going to ply on the waters?

Your savings account...............

With a Fuel Surcharge are they going to rebate it or expunge it in the current voyages? Fuyel costs are again way down even auto petrol here at 87 octane is only 2.25 $USD a gal. no.

I'm wiping out my savings account because: (A.) I'm not getting any younger and probably don't have that much longer on this plane to enjoy my "cruise of a lifetime", and (B.) I still have an IRA and some very healthy investments left.

So, even though I'm wiping out one of my savings accounts I'm not going to be on the breadline anytime soon.

Oh, and petrol may be only $2.25 a gallon in New Jersey but it is still a lot closer to $3.00 a gallon here in southern California.

Valerie:D

Valerie, you're not alone. But it is "down" to about $2.70 here. I almost popped a gasket when I saw $2.25, but I just don't respond to some posts;) .

When I lived in NJ about 6 years ago, there were places I bought gas for 89 cents/gallon and it's not self serve there! It's quite amazing. Drive just a few miles out of NJ and reality strikes.

I'm with you ... life is short. There are some things you really should just do. All it's going to buy you is a few extra days in the nursing home:) ... you owe no one an explanation.

Valerie, you're not alone. But it is "down" to about $2.70 here. I almost popped a gasket when I saw $2.25, but I just don't respond to some posts;) .

When I lived in NJ about 6 years ago, there were places I bought gas for 89 cents/gallon and it's not self serve there! It's quite amazing. Drive just a few miles out of NJ and reality strikes.

I'm with you ... life is short. There are some things you really should just do. All it's going to buy you is a few extra days in the nursing home:) ... you owe no one an explanation.

Hi Heather,

How is "our" Hermes bag holding up? Okay, I know that it is really yours but a "girl" can dream:D .

So what exactly is "not self serve" (she asks scratching her head)? I cannot honestly remember the last time I saw a gas station attendant, except for the cashier at the window who is more than happy to take half your life savings for a fill-up, and I drive a Saturn because it's supposed to get great gas mileage. There was a squib on Good Morning America yesterday morning about a gas station where the price is (gasp) $1.99/gallon - of course you have to drive to rural Missouri to fill up your tank.;)

Yep, you are right: I would hate to be on my death bed and think to myself "darn, I wish that I had taken that cruise that offered Easter Island, Java and Bali (and many other exotic ports) to say nothing of the fact that I could have spent time with my brother and sister-in-law in Sydney and then visited with my dear friend Sara in Hong Kong.

As it is my house is paid for and since I live in San Diego it will sell for a small fortune so that should more than take care of any medical expenses I will incur in my dotage.

I just want to leave this plane saying to myself "darn - that was a wonderful adventure and I'm so greatful for the ride".

Valerie:)

Hi Heather,

So what exactly is "not self serve" (she asks scratching her head)? I cannot honestly remember the last time I saw a gas station attendant, except for the cashier at the window who is more than happy to take half your life savings for a fill-up, and I drive a Saturn because it's supposed to get great gas mileage. .

Valerie:)

Having lived here, there and everywhere, gas always seemed substantially cheaper in NJ and I have no idea why this is. Of the many unique things about NJ is that it is , last I knew, illeagal to pump your own. Worked for me.

Having lived here, there and everywhere, gas always seemed substantially cheaper in NJ and I have no idea why this is. Of the many unique things about NJ is that it is , last I knew, illeagal to pump your own. Worked for me.

I just now realized that you posted the ? to Heather so now I feel like I was eavesdropping. I am going to go slink into the background and think about life on the good ship Hammydam.

Hammybee, don't be silly!!!:) Eavesdropping on this board? Now that's funny!!!!

Actually it was all I could do to leave NJ because I had no idea how to pump gas. In NJ, cheap as the gas was, there was always an attendant to pump it and as Hammybee said, it was illegal to pump your own.

They even washed my windows!!!:D

Valerie, happy cruising ... what a great way to go.

NJ is one of only Two that have laws in an attendent pumping your gas.

It was made to create and maintain work. The current elected Gov. John Corzine (D) and the NJ Senate President (D) and Gov when Corzine leaves the country and/or State was the selected Gov before and held the office when Jim McGreevey (D) stepped down and quit the office ...

He wants to abolish the gas attendent law too..

NJ also does not have a deposit on bottles or cans but does a great job in recycle.. MARCAL was one of the first to start Newspaper that way. Mr. Marcelus was a great leader that way. Our boys scouts were one of the first troops to help.

Public transportation does have to be used as well made available to use.

Thats a great advantage in NYC Mass Transit is all over there .

Those fares are never going down either..but when a price is given it is the price and no if and or buts about it...

At least we are able to buy the debt issued by the PA etc... bonds are great when the rates are higher... FOMC meeting Wednesday this week...:eek:

NJ is one of only Two that have laws in an attendent pumping your gas.

It was made to create and maintain work. The current elected Gov. John Corzine (D) and the NJ Senate President (D) and Gov when Corzine leaves the country and/or State was the selected Gov before and held the office when Jim McGreevey (D) stepped down and quit the office ...

He wants to abolish the gas attendent law too..

/quote]

Where does it say it was made to create and maintain work ? That is not the official reason for the law.

Regardless of all the politics today, the law was created as a safety precaution.

What do naming all these polictical people have to do with cruises ? I realize the thread got sidetracked on gas but I think we should keep the political people out of it. ;)

[quote name='Sunshine91'][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]I remember last year about Thanksgiving time that the boards were all lit up about folks receiving letters saying that their fares would be increased by $xx for a fuel surcharge. It didn't actually happen on HAL, but it might have happend to pax on other lines. Then again, those fuel letters may have been rumors. I just remember folks getting their knickers in a twist & no one actually ever got a letter. :) [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[B][COLOR=darkgreen]That happened on a cruise I was on after 911. They increased the fare for fuel and extra security after we were at sea for 2 days. It ended up costing us an extra $70 PP. There was almost a mutiny onboard and we were told the charges would be put on our accounts and we could get the money back from the home office after the cruise. Talk about a ship of unhappy pax.:( [/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#006400]That was the only cruise I ever took that was what could be called "The cruise from hell". I know "ship" happens, but that particular cruise had way to much "ship happening".[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#006400]Thankfully, they don't cruise in the US any longer and 2 of the brand new ships they had, "Olympia Voyager" and "Olympia Explorer" have been sold and the older ships are now just cruising the Greek Isles.[/COLOR][/B]

Archived