Why can we not wear jeans on Casual nights?

Chivalrygirl

Hey guys

We are from down-under, jeans are very much part of our out for dinner wear if out for a laid back casual wear. Jeans and nice shirt. Do we really have to bow to another culture? You wear khakis (which we find very strange) and we wear jeans. So will you be offended when we come to dinner wearing fashion jeans etc.?

one of the reasons my DH and I chose Holland, was the fact that Hal tries to keep the older traditions going.....ie no jeans allowed in the diningroom. We enjoy this aspect of cruising. "resort casual" gives us the opportunity to "put on the dog", so to speak. One of the things we look forward to when we travel.

Hey guys

We are from down-under, jeans are very much part of our out for dinner wear if out for a laid back casual wear. Jeans and nice shirt. Do we really have to bow to another culture? You wear khakis (which we find very strange) and we wear jeans. So will you be offended when we come to dinner wearing fashion jeans etc.?

HAL took the prohibition of jeans out of its dress code for casual nights. So, feel free to wear them ... to the dining room, the Pinnacle ... wherever. In fact, at least according to the "Know Before You Go" brochure, those jeans don't even have to be new or neat. They can be just plain old blue jeans with bleach stains and whatever on them. It's anything goes. :)

So, wear them. And ... if anyone takes offense, just smile sweetly and tell them "tough stuff." :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Blue skies ...

--rita

one of the reasons my DH and I chose Holland, was the fact that Hal tries to keep the older traditions going.....ie no jeans allowed in the diningroom.

Guess you'd better find another cruise line then, because HAL now allows jeans in the dining room on casual nights. Sorry. :)

The only dress items not permitted in any of the eateries in the evenings are shorts, tank tops, tee-shirts, and I believe bathing suits. And, even with that list, I have to say that I have NEVER seen anyone asked to leave the Lido with a tee-shirt on. In fact, I wore a tee-shirt to the Lido on my cruise in January ... the one night that I ate there, and nothing whatsoever was said. The Lido is a casual dining venue, and I have a feeling even shorts would be permitted there, though certainly not in the dining room.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Jeans are for working in the garden. Or playing with grandchildren. Going on a cruise is special; therefore, "special" clothes are in order.

Jeans *are* special for some people. You know, there are more than just blue jeans out there in the marketplace. Some jeans are downright nice ... nicer than what I've seen some people wearing in the dining room on casual nights.

The only problem I have with HAL changing their policy about jeans is that they did not specify that the jeans had to be neat and pressed. By failing to do that, now they are going to have people in the dining room wearing jeans that, as you say, are fit for working in the garden ... and there really will be little they can do about it. Can't bar one person from entering the dining room in jeans, but let another in. That's just plain discriminatory. I think their policy change should have been a bit more specific in this area.

Also, I take exception with the prohibitions (mainly the one for tee-shirts and shorts) applying to the Lido in the evenings as well. What's the point of dining in the Lido if you can't just run up there in your shorts that you wore all day in port to grab a bite to eat? What's the point, then, of choosing the casual dining venue if you can't wear just about anything to dine there? Of course, in reality, I've never seen anyone asked to leave the Lido in the evening ... no matter what they were wearing ... but I still think this policy should have been dining room and Pinnacle Grill specific.

By the way ... for those who take exception to jeans in the dining room ... that's what you have comment cards for. Obviously the dress code was changed in response to passenger requests via those cards. The masses have spoken and HAL has responded ... appropriately so. So, if it bothers people to see others dressed in jeans in the main dining room, they have to make that displeasure known via their comment cards, and who knows ... maybe HAL will change the policy back to a prohibition against jeans if enough people complain about it.

But for now anyway, jeans are allowed and anyone should feel free to wear them on casual nights. I know I plan to ... and if anyone doesn't like it ... well, let them go eat in the Lido. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Jeans are for working in the garden. Or playing with grandchildren. Going on a cruise is special; therefore, "special" clothes are in order.

I'm sure you forgot the first word in your comment, "My". Everyone has a different definition of "special". It's kind of like trying to define "decent".

Yes, this is MY opinion. For the record I never even bring Jeans on a cruise but, I couldn't care less if that is all you bring.

Hmmmm....seems I recall getting back to the ship after our appointed dinner time in Rome, going strait up to the Lido in shorts (I was wearing a polo shirt Vs Tee) and getting dinner. No one said "Boo" to me or the other passengers dressed in the same fashion. Maybe the sun shines differently in the Med :D With regards to jeans, never thought about bringing any on the cruise. Though this next itinerary leaving out of NYC in December, Those jeans will be in my bag for wearing while up on the weather decks during the first and last days as the will be much warmer. I will leave them in the cabin at diner time I suspect, then again, maybe not :confused:

This should be an interesting thread to monitor. [ATTACH]28676[/ATTACH]

"I am like so glad it's casual night."

[ATTACH]28678[/ATTACH]

Dude, those are a great pair of s$%tkickers you're wearing! :rolleyes: Watch out with too many trips to the midnight buffet though!:D

Everytime I see a discussion on these boards about jeans in the dining room, the same question occurs to me. Why in the world would anybody want to wear jeans on a Caribbean cruise? First of all, I would think you'd feel very warm in them, and secondly, unless they have "stretch", they would be very binding to wear to dinner. As far as those who wear them, it doesn't necessarily offend me, but I do like seeing everybody more dressed up when eating in the formal dining room. Will it negatively affect my cruise. Nope, not one bit.

What's all the fuss about:confused:

another thread on who's in favor of or against the dress code:(

IMO this is really simple:)

HAL has a dress code: accept it or not

everyone has a choice including which cruise line to sail .. maybe Windstar with its totally casual dress code would be fitting for somone who wants a complete informal atmosphere yet at the same time a more elegant cruise than some other lines may be prone to offer ..

if however you elect to sail with HAL, the rules are the rules

knowing what is allowed and not allowed "up front" allows you make an informed decision .. either to "play by the rules" or elect something other than going to the dining room

IMO, Pax not correctly dressed (including shorts and sneakers) for dinner should not be allowed entry to the dining room ..

hopefully, respect for other passengers also counts

Folks it's time to wake up and realize that the modern notion of dressing has come a long way! Jeans are everywhere! Don't get me wrong I hate the things, but they are everywhere! I recently went to a wedding where the groom wore them with a long duster. (by the way he looked like a cross over between a gun slinger and a drug addict), but there are more problems with that young man than wearing jeans on his wedding day!

Since I only do carribbean cruises I would never even think of packing a pair, but hay other people do. I know all of you will ask why, their heavy, hot and they don't even look good, but the younger generation likes them and that's a fact. The cruise lines are waking up to the fact that the "older" people who wore casual clothing ie, somthing you would wear to the country club are getting to the stage where they are not going to be going on a cruise much longer and the younger people see no reason to be "presentable" as we knew it when they are on "their" vacations. It's all about the bottom line and the cruise line need to bow to where the revenue will come from in the near future.

As for tee shirts just wait, in the near future they will also be in the dining room, it's a slow progression from the very formal evening attire, then it went to a less formal, to an even lesser formal to now an almost casual attire. Soon it will be all casual, then a 24/7 total casual. (I'm still hoping they don't let bathing suits in the dining room. I hate sitting on wet spots) The cruises as we knew them are going the way of the dinasaurs (sp). It's a sad thing to watch, but our day is closing and a new day is dawning.

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone. It wasn't meant to it's just my view on the subject.

In the few months I've been a member of these boards, I've seen several threads on the "jeans in the dining room" or "proper dress in the dining room".

One thing I've never been able to understand is how another one's dress in the dining room can affect "your" dining experience. Are you there to dine or are you there to look around with your nose in the air and discriminating eyes? What gives? Please explain it to me.

My two main concerns in the dining room are service and food quality. A sceaming baby might affect my exprience. A teenager food fight might attract my attention. But I can't see how what anyone else wears could in any way detract from my good time.

Harvey

It's your choice realy, free country and all....

Now, I'm a Utah resident and jeans are the norm, wear them every day- to go shopping, to eat out....but......

It's about respect and following the rules. I guess I was raised "right" to respect the wishes (ie - code, rules, principles) of others, whether it is a dress code, a religious code of another's culture, etc -if it does not harm me or go against my principles.

When I visited a mosque in an Arab country I covered my head and arms (cant wear something sleeveless there) out of respect for their desires. It did not harm me. They were much more willing to talk to me afterwards, knowing I respected their requests.

My kids always get a job after the first interview because they dress for it (boys-shirts and ties and no jeans and daughter in nice pantsuit or dress). Employers even thank them. They range in age from 15 -20.

Would it harm you, really, to wear something that conforms to the code (formal wear, etc), for a few hours?

flame away

As almost everyone else says " the times they are a'changin' ". I know I packed jeans on our first couple of cruises as it is very cold ( to us ) in the ports we regularly depart from. I've worn them on deck and outside and even in the Lido by the pool; for the first couple of days out of port.

Wearing jeans to dinner strikes me as uncomfortable to the wearer. I much prefer a little "give" to my dining room clothes. ;)

DH on the other hand does not eat in the dining room. He takes all his meals in the Lido and on casual nights has always worn shorts and tee shirts there with no problem at all. On informal nights he adds long pants, on formal nights he adds socks :D . We dress the way we are comfortable on our vacation. We hope everyone else does the same. Vacations are supposed to be fun, not spent worrying what to wear. JMHO.

Folks it's time to wake up and realize that the modern notion of dressing has come a long way! Jeans are everywhere! Don't get me wrong I hate the things, but they are everywhere! I recently went to a wedding where the groom wore them with a long duster. (by the way he looked like a cross over between a gun slinger and a drug addict), but there are more problems with that young man than wearing jeans on his wedding day!

Since I only do carribbean cruises I would never even think of packing a pair, but hay other people do. I know all of you will ask why, their heavy, hot and they don't even look good, but the younger generation likes them and that's a fact. The cruise lines are waking up to the fact that the "older" people who wore casual clothing ie, somthing you would wear to the country club are getting to the stage where they are not going to be going on a cruise much longer and the younger people see no reason to be "presentable" as we knew it when they are on "their" vacations. It's all about the bottom line and the cruise line need to bow to where the revenue will come from in the near future.

As for tee shirts just wait, in the near future they will also be in the dining room, it's a slow progression from the very formal evening attire, then it went to a less formal, to an even lesser formal to now an almost casual attire. Soon it will be all casual, then a 24/7 total casual. (I'm still hoping they don't let bathing suits in the dining room. I hate sitting on wet spots) The cruises as we knew them are going the way of the dinasaurs (sp). It's a sad thing to watch, but our day is closing and a new day is dawning.

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone. It wasn't meant to it's just my view on the subject.

I am not offended at all and I have to say I agree with you 100% whether we like it or not.

I am another one who can care less what the other people in the dining room are wearing. Dirty, ripped clothing is pushing it, and just un called for. and if a person sitting next to me (especially if I am eating ) is reeking of BO, trust me I will be the first to complain.

But if this guy is wearing dockers and a dress shirt, and this guy over here is wearing clean and well taken care of jeans and a t shirt. It doesn't effect my evening , or my dinner, or my cruise one bit.

You are very right, we are becoming a more casual society. Again there is no excuse for dirty, raggedy clothes. But, settings and situations that used to be suits or jackets and ties have become Dockers and dress shirts without ties.

My uncle passed away last week. At the wake , with the exception of the immediate family(His son, son in laws, his brothers), all the other men wore very nice dress pants and a dress shirt or polo shirt. (reserved nuteral colors) Although yes at the funeral the next morning almost al did wear a suit, myself included.

Even the women didn't wear the head to toe black they did for years.

I am from an old Italian family, When my grandparents died in the 60s and 70s , my mother and aunts wore black for a year after. Some widows wore it til the day they died. Very few people do that anymore.

As you said times are changeing and the new cruisers have different outlooks on terms like "formal", "informal" ,"casual" , even "decent" as one other poster mentioned.

Whether or not anyone likes it these are the next generation of cruiser. They are the ones, the cruise lines are building the new ships for .

Even if Rita is right and HAL "allows" jeans on Casual nights:eek: , I don't recommend it.

And just for the record, Americans wear jeans EVERYWHERE. So it has nothing to do with the culture here. As a matter of fact, I would suspect that no country on earth can get much more "laid back" than the good ole USA.

Also ... there are jeans and there are "jeans" .... vast difference between them.

So do whatever you want ... everyone does these days. Just know that you're not "bowing to another culture". You're simply going along with the masses.

Harvey, some people are affected by what other people wear and others aren't. On Casual nights I really don't care that much what people wear and pay little attention, but I do notice it on Formal nights if someone is in jeans and a t-shirt.

Does it affect me? No. I just think they don't hold themselves in very high regard. And that is honestly their choice.

Boy oh Boy, there's not a lot of things that offend but jeans in the dining room is one of those things that gets me. After reading just a few of the posts this morning, I just had to check the HAL website and find out for myself if the "policy" for jeans had changed. Guess what it hasn't and I quote "Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard. " So please not jeans in the dining room.

By the way, I have jeans and I love wearing my jeans when it's appropriate. Thank you for letting me put in my two cents worth.

An 'anything goes' enforcement of a cruiseline's dress code does affect my enjoyment of the dining room and therefore the cruise to some extent.

When we book a cruiseline and a particular ship we are purchasing more than a cabin and an itinerary- we are also purchasing an ambience that is advertised by that cruiseline. I expect to receive what the cruiseline has said we would and the atmosphere/ambience HAL has shown in their brochures. Call it 'Truth in Advertising'. I have yet to see HAL publish pictures of their dining rooms with pax in jeans and baseball caps. :D

Palm Beacher, thanks for checking and I'm happy to read that HAL has not changed their policy.

However, the disappointing and sad news is that it falls to the individual Maitre D's to enforce the policy and unfortunately they usually look the other way and allow it (from what people have posted here on this board).

I've not cruised on HAL since late 2004 and I certainly never saw jeans in the dining room then. But that could easily have changed in 2 years.

Boy oh Boy, there's not a lot of things that offend but jeans in the dining room is one of those things that gets me. After reading just a few of the posts this morning, I just had to check the HAL website and find out for myself if the "policy" for jeans had changed. Guess what it hasn't and I quote "Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard. " So please not jeans in the dining room.

By the way, I have jeans and I love wearing my jeans when it's appropriate. Thank you for letting me put in my two cents worth.

Sorry, they may not have updated their website but the newest 'Know before you go' booklet states " comfortable relaxed clothing is fine for evening designated as casual; however, T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours." Jeans, hats and footwear are not mentioned. Period.

Archived