Why can we not wear jeans on Casual nights?

Chivalrygirl

Our last cruise was with NCL. On Formal (Optional) night, we were all dressed up and seated between four people in athletic sweatsuits and a couple in tattered jeans and tees. Kind of felt like the only ones that were not told the costume party had changed to regular party. (Just like Bridget Jones.)

The nice ambience of a fine dining establishment is degraded with inappropriate attire. May as well serve my lobster on a paper plate and pour my Thunderbird into a plastic cup.

If you must wear jeans to the dining room, beware, I will wear a thong to the pool. Just me, a bucket of beer and my pet squirrel. (Ron White joke.)

Think of Copper on this one. Jeans in the dining room is one more step toward a more casual society. A more casual society will lead to the decline of all social graces. This will cast us into a deep chasm of anarchy and chaos. This will result in all vacations being canceled by the Torrance Police Dept. Thus no more cruises for Copper. Copper very unhappy now. We don't want that. I think I would leave the jeans at home.tuxsmiley.gif.8ae10d9d8db421241e5804ce4d262d46.gif

Everytime I see a discussion on these boards about jeans in the dining room, the same question occurs to me. Why in the world would anybody want to wear jeans on a Caribbean cruise? First of all, I would think you'd feel very warm in them, and secondly, unless they have "stretch", they would be very binding to wear to dinner. As far as those who wear them, it doesn't necessarily offend me, but I do like seeing everybody more dressed up when eating in the formal dining room. Will it negatively affect my cruise. Nope, not one bit.

Exactly my thoughts!!!!:)

Hey guys, it has been said already and it's really pretty simple; HAL has made the decision to allow jeans in the diningroom on casual nights so there you have it! If you choose to wear them you will not get keel-hauled or dragged in front of the Spanish inquisition! It's an individual decision. If you choose not to wear them for whatever reason, then don't! If someone comes skipping into the diningroom wearing the same jeans they wore when they were changing the engine in their favorite pickup truck the day before the good ship lollipop left, I would hope they get turned away. Common sense goes a long way! We choose to follow the dress code out of respect for our fellow passengers and the cruise line.

Appreciate the vacation thoughts, Bear! Maybe consider the white thong with them shoes in your pic!

SnorkelBear wrote:

Think of Copper on this one. Jeans in the dining room is one more step toward a more casual society

Does wearing jeans most of the time connect to the new trend of addressing a mixed group of men and women as "guys"?

Gets my 'personal goat' when someone address me (a lady ;) ) as 'guy'.

Had that happen with our waiter at dinner last night. Just DH and me seated at the table. He asked if we 'guys' would like something from the bar. DH looked at me to order first and I sat silent. They both repeated (as though I were deaf).......he asked if you want something from the bar. I pointed out I'm not a guy!

It's just my personal opinion that all this casualness in our society is diminishing social graces. Does it matter? Each will decide that for themselves.

Our last cruise was with NCL. On Formal (Optional) night, we were all dressed up and seated between four people in athletic sweatsuits and a couple in tattered jeans and tees. Kind of felt like the only ones that were not told the costume party had changed to regular party. (Just like Bridget Jones.) QUOTE]

OMG. We saw you on our last NCL cruise and wondered about the guy wearing bunny ears and a fluffy tail with his tux.

I expect to receive what the cruiseline has said we would and the atmosphere/ambience HAL has shown in their brochures. Call it 'Truth in Advertising'. I have yet to see HAL publish pictures of their dining rooms with pax in jeans and baseball caps. :D

I can't believe that anyone, especially those that have come to rely on the cruise message boards for information, really believes what any cruiseline portrays in their brochure photos as what to expect! No one is on a buffet line; plenty of seats around the pool; no kids in the hot tubs; everyone smiling...

Guess I've had too much coffee this morning as I normally stay out of these threads but oh well..... I'm not going to go out and eat worms and broken glass because somebody shows up in jeans in the dining room. Should they? No. Can I understand, say like on the first night, that there are circumstances like lost luggage that might leave the passenger without any other choice? Yes. Other than that I think HAL should enforce their own dress codes, across the board, not just jeans. At same time we're not going to let the dress code enforcement ruin our cruise.

Hi - Mrs. Mack704 here - we're looking forward to going on our first HAL cruise - one of the main reasons is that we really want to try HAL after our disappointing last cruise on CCL - the food in the dining room was very sub-par compared to RCCL and X. DH and I are in our mid 50's - he is a business owner and wears jeans to work daily (unless it's too hot - then he wears shorts) - to wear anything else would negatively affect his relationship with his clientel. I work for the government - I never deal with the public - and I wear jeans quite often. At my workplace, I see some sights - some of you would probably swoon - but many of the questionably-dressed people are in technical jobs, and do them VERY well. Being around them has never affected my work experience.

But I digress. I am hardly a kid! I don't understand why someone wearing jeans on a casual night in the dining room would affect someone's evening! No one has suggested that jeans and a t-shirt be worn in the dining room on a formal night - or even on semi-formal evenings. We are looking forward to eating some wonderful food EVERY night - and having wonderful experiences together as a couple on our upcoming HAL cruise. The appearance of other diners won't affect our enjoyment in the least - because we just don't care! If you do care, then I suggest you fill out the comment cards, as someone has already proposed - or just look the other way and try your darndest to make the best of it!

Mrs. Harvey ;)

I can't believe that anyone, especially those that have come to rely on the cruise message boards for information, really believes what any cruiseline portrays in their brochure photos as what to expect! No one is on a buffet line; plenty of seats around the pool; no kids in the hot tubs; everyone smiling...

*LOL* True ...very true :)

How have you been Herb, long time no see :)

On our Med. cruise (Rotterdam) in Oct. 05 we saw the ultimate -- on Informal Night an older man (maybe early 70's) with farmer type blue jeans, plaid shirt and suspenders!!! All looked clean but if he could afford a Med. cruise I believe he could buy appropriate clothes -- even at Target, etc.

At a table next to ours was worse - dirty looking dockers, shirt and rumpled sport coat for informal night. This was on a 30+ year old man.

As you say -- the enforcement of this and also the closing of the doors for late-arrivals -- is all dependent on the attitude of the head of the dining room. The late arrivals bother me even more because this influences our service from the waiters when they have to schedule more than one trip to the kitchen.

Hope you all can consider the feelings of others at some point!!

I find it curious that anyone would book a cruise on a ship that bans jeans on some evenings, if they do not want to dress for the occasion and then argue that the culture was being forced upon them.

I have seen people dining in bathrobes on NCL. It did not detract from my cruise experience because when I booked passage, I knew that it was an "anything goes" enviornment.

If passengers who prefer casual dining attire on all nights go elsewhere, and if this means HAL sails with substantially less than full occupancy, over a period of time, they will bow to a change in passenger dynamics. Will this happen? I don't know.

In the meantime, it's HAL's ships and HAL's rules and they have a right to ask us to dress any way they deem appropriate. Those who prefer a more casual atmosphere, are free to choose to sail with another cruise line. It really is that simple.

People should sail the cruise line that most appeals to their preferences. It's called choice.

On our Med. cruise (Rotterdam) in Oct. 05 we saw the ultimate -- on Informal Night an older man (maybe early 70's) with farmer type blue jeans, plaid shirt and suspenders!!! All looked clean but if he could afford a Med. cruise I believe he could buy appropriate clothes -- even at Target, etc.

unless this cruise was a gift to him from his children for a special birthday... and he really does not have the money to go out and buy new "appropriate" clothes. Something we really don't know & I doubt we'll ever find out ;)

Hey guys

We are from down-under, jeans are very much part of our out for dinner wear if out for a laid back casual wear. Jeans and nice shirt. Do we really have to bow to another culture? You wear khakis (which we find very strange) and we wear jeans. So will you be offended when we come to dinner wearing fashion jeans etc.?

I can't believe someone is actually asking this? Even if it is a newbie and not aware of the continuous discussions on the subject on these boards. There is a saying that goes "When in Rome..do as the Romans!". So I would expect people to understand the cultures of the place they are and behave accordingly.

Now as to casual wear. Nothing wrong with jeans during the daytime. But the rules of the dining room do state and quite clearly so - that jeans and T-shirts will not be allowed. So why is this constantly being questioned? The idea of most cruise ship's causual night is that casual is more resort-casual meaning khakis and slacks along with a nice collared shirt with a decent pair of shoes. Pretend you are going off to play golf rather than going to the bar down the street. Most North Americans wear jeans and t-shirts to casual restaurants on land and to bars but the cruise industry is seeking to have people look a little better than that thus the reason for the rules they post. I can see people questioning it but always thinking they can circumvent it makes me wonder why they go in the first place.

David

There certainly is a general description given by each cruiseline as to what the atmosphere is on their ships and what to expect. If there weren't then everyone would book strictly on itinerary and price.

Pax on Oceania read and believe that the dress code is Country Club Casual every night and that is what they get. HAL promotes their dining rooms as an 'elegant' experience and I don't think the expectations projected are of raggedy jeans and t-shirts. Even if not on these cruise boards most everyone knows that you will have more families and young people on Royal Caribbean and Carnival ships and a more 'elegant' ambience on HAL and other lines. There are expectations provided by each cruiseline and you don't have to be on CC to know that.

But the rules of the dining room do state and quite clearly so - that jeans and T-shirts will not be allowed. So why is this constantly being questioned? David

because it seems that in some people's "know before you go" brochure it does not list jeans as inappropriate yet in some people's brochures it does. Wish HAL would make up it's mind so we could end this bi-monthly debate!

HAL took the prohibition of jeans out of its dress code for casual nights. So, feel free to wear them ...

--rita

OOPS! Did I stick my foot in my mouth? The jeans prohibition was there last year so is this a brand new thing???

Personally I have no problem with someone wearing a clean pair of jeans on casual nights but I do think if the rules are posted that one agrees to play by the rules. Some just constantly want to think the rules are for everyone else and that they are the exception and it was this that that I was going ballistic over.

However, if the jeans rules have REALLY been removed from HAL's casual nights then I guess there is no problem and I apologize to the OP. However, it is a sad move. I rather wear jeans myself anywhere else but I still prefer to dress a bit better for dinner on a cruise ship and play the game of "Look at me"!. Something dignified about the cruise lifestyle.

David

Even if not on these cruise boards most everyone knows that you will have more families and young people on Royal Caribbean and Carnival ships and a more 'elegant' ambience on HAL and other lines.

If you wish to make blanket comparisons then you should make up your mind whether you're comparing "elegance" or "age".

"everyone knows that you will have a more 'informal' ambience on Royal Caribbean and a more 'elegant' ambience on HAL and other lines"

or:

"everyone knows that you will have more families and young people on Royal Caribbean and Carnival ships and an 'elderly' crowd on HAL and other lines."

Archived