liquor purchases on board

Old Broad

Is it possible to purchase a bottle of say, gin, or scotch, at the bar or from room service to have for drinks in the cabin? I don't always feel like going to a lounge and what's the use of a veranda if you can't enjoy the sunset with a cocktail? If such a purchase is possible, what sort of prices do they charge?

Your "handle" is cute. Of course you can order a bottle from room service and dance the night away in the privacy of your cabin and / or veranda.

I have no idea the cost as I have not done this. Someone who knows more than I will chime in soon.

You can call Ship Services prior to going on your cruise and order a bottle for your room. It will be waiting for you when you board.

1-800-541-1576 Have your booking number, date of cruise and credit card handy when you call.

Enjoy.

Hi,

I asked this awhile back and from my understanding, you can either pre-order a bottle (with or without mixes) or just order from room service once you get on the ship.

Someone had posted a price list from a recent cruise - I don't have it, but as I recall, your run of the mill vodka/gin/whiskey/rum was about $30 for a litre bottle.

I just ordered liquor for our cabin on a HAL cruise we are taking next month. Here is the price list as e-mailed to me and it was dated April 2006:

ITEM DESCRIPTION PRICE

GINS

1687 GIN: BEEFEATER $26.90

1688 GIN: TANQUERAY $33.10

1686 GIN: BOMBAY SAPPHIRE $38.00

LIQUEURS

1316 LIQUEURS: AMARETTO $39.35

1317 LIQUEURS: BAILEYS IRISH CREAM $41.40

1320 LIQUEURS: COINTREAU $53.80

1321 LIQUEURS: DRAMBUIE $49.70

1323 LIQUEURS: GRAND MARNIER $74.50

1330 LIQUEURS: SAMBUCA - OPAL NERA $39.35

1325 LIQUEURS: SOUTHERN COMFORT $39.35

1326 LIQUEURS: TIA MARIA $39.35

RUM

1693 RUM: BACARDI GOLD $26.90

1694 RUM: BACARDI WHITE $26.90

1695 RUM: BACARDI LIMON $29.00

1692 RUM: MYERS $30.00

SCOTCH/WHISKEY/BRANDY

1707 SCOTCH: BALLENTINES $34.15

1714 SCOTCH: CHIVAS REGAL - 12 Y.O. $57.95

1706 SCOTCH: DEWAR'S White Label $39.35

1708 SCOTCH: J & B RARE $37.25

1716 SCOTCH: J. WALKER BLACK LABEL $70.40

1710 SCOTCH: J. WALKER RED LABEL $37.25

1728 BOURBON: JACK DANIELS BLACK $45.55

1722 BOURBON: JIM BEAM $24.85

1732 WHISKEY: CANADIAN CLUB $30.00

1736 WHISKEY: CROWN ROYAL $39.35

1738 WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS 7 $26.90

1734 WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS V.O. $26.90

1705 WHISKEY - IRISH: JAMESON $39.35

1701 COGNAC: HENNESSY VS $78.65

1702 COGNAC: REMY MARTIN VSOP $89.00

1703 COGNAC: REMY MARTIN XO $236.00

SHERRY

1656 SHERRY: HARVEY'S MEDIUM $60.05

1657 SHERRY: TIO PEPE $39.35

TEQUILA:

1697 TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO GOLD $35.20

1696 TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO 1800 $43.45

VODKA:

1698 VODKA: ABSOLUT $29.00

0698 VODKA: ABSOLUT - CITRON $31.05

0691 VODKA: STOLICH**** $24.85

1691 VODKA: SKYY $29.00

2691 VODKA: FINLANDIA $24.85

1690 VODKA: SMIRNOFF $24.85

0690 VODKA: CHOPiN $64.15

1699 VODKA: GREY GOOSE $68.30

3691 VODKA: TANGUERAY STERLING $31.05

3690 VODKA: BELVEDERE $64.15

All items have a 15% service charge included. Prices are subject to change.

I'll pay those prices. seems to be $10 tacked on to the price of things here in Illinois. the mark up is no where near what it is for wine.

None of my favorites on the list but theres nothing i'd turn my nose up at either. Except the Jack Daniels.

Can't bring myself to drink it since they've surreptitiously lowered the proof from 90 to 80 over the past 15 years. but thats a rant best left to a different venue.

Do you know if those bottles are a full liter or 750 ml? The bottles usually sold in stores around here (Cleveland, Ohio) are 750ml, while the bottles sold in the duty-free shops onboard are a full liter.

Paul Noble

I was wondering if it possible to pre-order a bottle of Canadian Club for cruise that is sailing out of Auckland, NZ in Nov.? Sounds like a dumb question, but the New Zealand is pretty far from here, maybe they don't bring that brand with them.

Hi - just wanted to let everyone know, I just called HAL to order my liquor for my cruise. According to the rep, the size of the bottles are fifths, I think that's even smaller than the 750 ml right? They didn't have the kind I wanted, but wanted to pass on the info.

Happy cruising,

Jac

Funny you should say that, when I told her that I was reading the cruise critic forum she told me not to do that because its filled with wrong info.

Truth be told, she sounded annoyed with my questions and anxious to get off the phone (boy do I hate that).

Other things she said, include, no jeans in dining room in the evening. Need notarized letter of consent from non-traveling parent. Does not have child count for cruising I'm taking.

Frankly, after what you just posted, I'm thinking her credibility is shot.

Happy sailing and thanks for the info,

jac

I talked to Gwen when I placed my order. She was nothing but pleasant.

That may be due to the fact that we had quite a few laughs during the call.

Gwen: Have a nice time on your trip

Me: I'll try

Gwen: You shouldn't have to try

Me: You're right, besides I'm lazy. I never do anything thats hard.

Did Gwen specifically say the size of the bottles are 1 litre? There's a big difference between a litre and a fifth! I've looked high and low on the HAL website to try to find the list that was posted to see if the size was in writing, but can't find it anywhere.

Happy sailings,

jac

I was wondering if it possible to pre-order a bottle of Canadian Club for cruise that is sailing out of Auckland, NZ in Nov.? Sounds like a dumb question, but the New Zealand is pretty far from here, maybe they don't bring that brand with them.

I don't know about that but we ordered a bar set up when sailing out of Dover, England last year and a cliant just did one who is sailing out of Barcelona next month. NMNita

...Other things she said, include, Need notarized letter of consent from non-traveling parent. <snip> I'm thinking her credibility is shot.

She got that one right. If a child is traveling with less than two parents you need a permission statement signed by each absent parent.

If it's impossible to get written permission from a missing parent (death, whereabouts unknown, uncooperative) there are alternatives that can be brought.

Hi - just wanted to let everyone know, I just called HAL to order my liquor for my cruise. According to the rep, the size of the bottles are fifths, I think that's even smaller than the 750 ml right? They didn't have the kind I wanted, but wanted to pass on the info.

Happy cruising,

Jac

Jac,I haven't ordered from HAL but 4 other lines in the past. They have always been liters and yes, a 5th is quite small. I didn't even know they still made 5th, I haven't heard that since my parents used to buy 4 Roses. LOL

Did Gwen specifically say the size of the bottles are 1 litre? There's a big difference between a litre and a fifth! I've looked high and low on the HAL website to try to find the list that was posted to see if the size was in writing, but can't find it anywhere.

Happy sailings,

jac

to tell the truth i didn't ask. I assumed it was a 5th (750ml).

I believe the list not on the HAL site but only available on request. At least this is the info i've gathered from this board.

Silly me, I was thinking a fifth was like a pocket size flask!!!

Thanks Ruth for the input on documentation requirements. Our agent did not mention it. I know that Mexico relaxed its rules regarding this requirement awhile ago, but much better safe than sorry since my hubby is quite available (and a little unhappy not to be going) to sign a letter.

I've cruised on several different lines, but judging by what I read here, I think that HAL is quickly going to become my favorite. I'm jumping out of my skin in anticipation, but trying not to be toooo happy when hubby is around!!

31 days and counting!

Jac

Archived