Spinach anyone?

7x5090g

We sailed around the Galapagos Islands in February this year and no-one on our ship got sick. We weren't on an X ship but on the Galapagos Explorer ll.

We have spinach here at home at least once a week. I do wash it thoroughly before cooking but here our vegatables are grown in good water so I doubt if there were would be any trouble with any sort of bacteria.

Jennie

We sailed around the Galapagos Islands in February this year and no-one on our ship got sick. We weren't on an X ship but on the Galapagos Explorer ll.

We have spinach here at home at least once a week. I do wash it thoroughly before cooking but here our vegatables are grown in good water so I doubt if there were would be any trouble with any sort of bacteria.

Jennie

Jennie,

Spinach and ecoli are big news items here, this week. California had to destory most of their crops. It's a CSI like investigation to figure out how spinach got the bacteria. And all of this made me wonder if the salad on X or perhaps at the hotel in Quito was the root cause of so many passengers becoming so ill, cruise after cruise after cruise.

The alleged coop in CA used manure from cattle not dehydrated... and it probably has come in contact with contamination of the human kind also...

SHips crew I have seen not washing after using the W. C., filling ketchup bottles and other... with out gloves or in a sanitary area...

HAL has some of the best methods I have seen.

Travel in a lot of places gets people sick as the bacteria (some good) sickens people as there bodies systems have not developed an imunity for the local sources of bacterium...

A perfect example is what happened here in N America and other World areas in early 1700's to late 1800's blankets were given to the local people with Small Pox etc in them ..that was the first time bacterial and biological were used to destroy a population base..

There systems were not able to handle the common cold either ... ..

We sometimes dont think about the sources of contamination and/or the places it exists...

Peelable fruit is great to eat, ICE CUBES are such a source not thought about and in Europe they will give you ONE...that melts quickly...

On a ship the ICE Shovel is such a carrier of bacterium and have you ever seen anyone wash it let alone have a seperate compartment to store it when not in usage..

The little things that are ever present but not thought of can be the culprit and cause..

Just use more caution in eating drinking and washing ..... remember your the one which has to watchout and washout...

HAL with there alcohol base washes helps stop the spread in its tracks...O---0^~^~^~^ screecchhh

With this latest panic, personally I doubt that any of the cruiselines would keep spinach, in any form, on the menu for the time being. Really, if you're concerned about it and see it on a ship or elsewhere, simply don't eat it.

On a side note, get to know your friendly local organic grower and enjoy your spinach again.

Jennie,

Spinach and ecoli are big news items here, this week. California had to destory most of their crops. It's a CSI like investigation to figure out how spinach got the bacteria. And all of this made me wonder if the salad on X or perhaps at the hotel in Quito was the root cause of so many passengers becoming so ill, cruise after cruise after cruise.

Hammybee,

Thanks for filling me in. We haven't had any news of this here. In fact we are having spinach tonight for dinner so I had better make the most of it as we may not get it for the next 34+ nights whilst on the Veendam.

Jennie.

AAA American,

I agree with you that travel to different countries can affect people in different ways. When we visit a Third World Country we always use bottled water, make sure we eat fruit than can only be peeled and never have any salads as we do not know what water has been used to wash the greens etc.

In all our years of travel - and in the seventies we always took our children to Asia,- we have never been sick or suffered any sort of diahorrea.

Jennie

E- coli is killed by cooking it well. Creamed spinach is well cooked.

IMO, regardless, they will not be serving it.

Easy enough to substitute a number of other veggies.

Actually, I'd be delighted. I don't want all that fat, salt and calories of the creamed spinach. ;)

Thought they have probably all stopped serving any fresh spinich for now we will soon see it popping up everywhere again. Today while we were playing bridge I heard someone at one of the other tables say, they thought too much was being made of this: you know what, I am inclined to agree. NMnita

I am confident that neither HAL nor any other cruise line will be serving any spinach on any ship any time soon.

I have to tell you, I am missing it terribly. I absolutely love fresh spinach. I even have it on a sandwich instead of lettuce.

Just one more thing I just have to live without:( .

I agree, Heather......

I miss it, too, and will be the first to buy it as soon as it appears again in our market.

I love the suggestion about local, organic growers. Unfortunately, here in New England, our growing season is just about over. Won't be any fresh spinach coming from any local farms here anytime soon. :(

I work for a small family run grocery/deli, kind of a mix between a farmers market and a grocery. We've pulled all of our spinach even though we are confident that it has not been contaminated. In order to kill the bacteria, you must cook the spinach for ~ 30 seconds at 250 degrees F (I've heard less and more but that is what we have been advising people that wish to continue eating spinach)

Since my last post, I glanced at today's Boston Globe Food Section. They specifically commented that spinach grown in New England and Canada are not effected. So.....guess there are some 'local growers' and if I find their spinach, I'll be buying it.

Whats the world coming too when spinach turns out to be bad for us *LOL*

I thought Popeye was looking a little green around the gills last time I saw him *LOL*

I am not crazy about creamed spinach, but I love a good spinach salad or sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic mmmmmm mmmmm :)

Since my last post, I glanced at today's Boston Globe Food Section. They specifically commented that spinach grown in New England and Canada are not effected. So.....guess there are some 'local growers' and if I find their spinach, I'll be buying it.

Hmmmm .... guess it's that naughty, bad left coast spinach that's tainted!!!:D

Lucky you if you can find it locally. Even if they sold something here and it said "grown in New England", I'm afraid I'd be worried to buy it unless I was going to cook it as described.

But I really prefer it raw.

Archived