Filing a claim with insurance? Advice????

LuAnn

We have always purchased insurance..but never before have tried to "collect"...I have purchased insurance with Insuremytrip.com and it is with Access America...we have a trip planned for late October and I do not feel well enough to go..problems with a second broken toe, my eyes, my arthritis etc. etc. (getting old...at 58!...SUCKS) I have physician appointments scheduled for tomorrow, Friday and Monday....if I receive letters from all of them regarding my various "conditions" will I be able to collect on the insurance..because I purchased the policy within the appropriate period "pre existing conditions" do not apply...my 2nd broken toe does not apply to the pre existing condition.. nor does my eye situation...but my arthritis does....In reading the small print...which I think we should all do BEFORE we buy the insurance....you must have bought enough to cover the ENTIRE cancellation of the trip...in order for the insurance to be valid...if I cancel before 14 days out..they take 80%...I will be ok...but after that....I only "bought" $8K for coverage, but the "total" cost would be $8,600....if cancelled 14 days out or less..so...SO MUCH for rounding up what you think you need for coverage???? If push comes to shove I may just try to muscle through this trip...but insurance is to help not hinder!!??? Any help and or ideas appreciated! LuAnn

LuAnn, your physicians must specify that you are completely physically unable to cruise, and not just list your maladies. You must provide all doctor's statements, hospital records, prescriptions that you are taking for your debilitating conditions and all records as to why you have to cancel. Personally, I don't see that letters listing all the things wrong with you will cover your cancellation just because you don't feel well. There has to be concrete evidence from your doctors that you are completely physically unable to travel.

Kitty is right; not quite feeling like traveling and not being able are two different things. It sounds to me like you purchased insurance on your own and not through your TA as your TA would have made certain your insurance covered the entire trip cost. This is one of the problems with doing it on your own even though you save money. I am not saying, no one should purchase on their own, I have, myself in the past and advise my cliants "if you don't purchase through us, certainly purchase from someone" The best you can do is contact the company, do the paper work and hope for the best. If you can't get your money back, go and enjoy. It might be good for you to get your mind off your aches and pains. Good luck, keep us posted. NMnitab

Archived