Boston Hotel Recommendations

Linda/Ohio

I really don't know the Boston area.....but a bunch of us are staying at the Boston Marriott Copley Place for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel on Sept 30th. I understand that it's less than 10 minutes from Logan and somewhere between 2.3 and 3 miles from the pier.

Rick

As a Bostonian I would recommend the Marriott LONGWHARF as it is right on the water, looks across the harbor to the airport, and is 2 minutes from the aquarium, Quincy Market and walking distance to the North End and great restaurants. It will be a short taxi ride to the pier.

Marriott Copley is also very nice, a bit further back in the city, by all the shops and closer to Boston Common and Garden. A bit further by taxi, but quite easy. Both are excellent hotels.

I really don't know the Boston area.....but a bunch of us are staying at the Boston Marriott Copley Place for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel on Sept 30th. I understand that it's less than 10 minutes from Logan and somewhere between 2.3 and 3 miles from the pier.

Rick

Rick, the Marriott Copley Place is a very good hotel in a good location but that deal about it being less than 10 minutes from Logan must have been timed at 3 in the morning or on a Sunday morning, certainly not on a weekday and especially not during the morning or afternoon rush hours.:D In traffic, I'd estimate the time to be between fifteen minutes and half an hour. It isn't the distance but the street traffic that will make your trip longer. The distance from Black Falcon is about right.

Marriott Copley Place is in Copley Square and is convenient to the Public Library, Public Garden, Boston Common and the Back Bay. The Duck Tour starts in front of the Prudential Center (across from Copley Place) on the Huntington Avenue side. Copley Place is filled with very high end shops and features the Marriott and a Westin hotel. Across the street is the Fairmont Copley Plaza, an older but classic Boston hotel and there are a number of boutique hotels in the area.

I'm not sure how Priceline divides up downtown Boston, but anything listed as being in the Back Bay area or in the Financial District should net you a good hotel. If anyone has questions about specific hotels, someone here might be able to answer them. We are on the Jewel repositioning cruise and there have been a number of posts on that thread discussing various hotel options. You might want to check them out.

I just booked a hotel in Boston for my husband and son last week to attend a concert there. They stayed at the Boston Park Plaza. I got it on Priceline for $102, but afterwards I found out on Better Bidding I probably could have gotten it for about $10 less. It's the first time I used Priceline, so I didn't know that much about it. The hotel is in a good location, as the subway is right on top of the hotel. It's right in the heart of the city. They said the hotel was nice and we did get our request for two beds and a nonsmoking room. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bill,

Do you know of a reliable limo/car service to get from the Falcon cruise terminal to the Manchester Airport for an afternoon flight on the Thursday we get back from the Jewel? Thanks!

I'm sorry but we live about twenty five miles south of Boston and I don't have any experience with limo services that operate between Boston and ManchesterBoston Regional airport. You might find some by checking out the airport website, or someone who lives north of Boston or in NH may be able to help out.

To the poster who is booked at the Park Plaza hotel, it is an old classic Boston hotel (many years ago it was the Sheraton Plaza hotel. You got a good rate and I wouldn't be concerned that you might have been able to save a few bucks by booking through a different source. The nearest subway (Green line) stop is about a block away at the corner of Arlington Street and Boylston Street. Some good restaurants in the hotel or across the street (either side) including Fleming's Steak House, Via Matta, Maggiano's Little Italy, and Smith & Wollensky's which is in a historic armory. The theater district is a few blocks away. Plenty to see and do in the immediate vicinity. Rooms vary in shapes and sizes since the hotel was built long before the modular room design of hotels came into fashion, but the hotel is a very popular site for large gatherings and political functions.

Bill,

Do you know of a reliable limo/car service to get from the Falcon cruise terminal to the Manchester Airport for an afternoon flight on the Thursday we get back from the Jewel? Thanks!

Grace Limousine is a Manchester based limo service with nice, clean, safe vehicles and do plenty of airport runs to both BOS and MHT. I would try them as a first choice for Manchester.

http://www.gracelimo.com/

To the OP, I second the Marriot Longwharf. Great location, nice hotel and Legal Seafood right outside the door. Copley also has a Legal across the street in the Pru center.

Hi;

My recommendation for a Boston Hotel is the Seaport Hotel. only a mile or so from the cruise terminal & 5 minute walk to the Quincy Market Area. plenty of taxi cabs if the the weather does not cooperate.

Happy Sailings!:)

Grace Limousine is a Manchester based limo service with nice, clean, safe vehicles and do plenty of airport runs to both BOS and MHT. I would try them as a first choice for Manchester.

http://www.gracelimo.com/

To the OP, I second the Marriot Longwharf. Great location, nice hotel and Legal Seafood right outside the door. Copley also has a Legal across the street in the Pru center.

I knew that there would be someone who could come up with a limo recommendation. :) Marriott Longwharf is a fine location and within walking distance of Quincy Market and Boston's North End. Trolley tours and harbor cruises are both available in that area. Legal Seafoods in Copley area is actually in Copley Place not the Pru, and there is also a Legal across the street from Park Plaza in the same building as Fleming's and Maggiano's. Turner Fisheries in Copley Place is also highly recommended.

Any input here? Favorites? Anyone use Priceline in Boston? I've used it in Florida--but not Boston.

Linda,

The ONLY time I have EVER been successful booking a hotel on Priceline was in Boston...

The prior time I TRIED to use it was a pre-cruise in San Juan and I got all the way up to bidding $160 for a 4-star and got REJECTED before I finally gave up and booked the San Juan Marriott directly through the hotel for $189...

So, I was very apprehensive about using it in Boston...

We were visiting as a part of a "graduate school tour" with my older daughter who was deciding between Harvard, Boston University, Columbia, NYU and Michigan (she eventually opted for Columbia)...

But it was not easy finding a reasonably priced hotel near Harvard (like nothing under $200 per night), so, I figured "what the heck?" and threw out a first shot at a 4-star for a bid of $60 a night...

AND, to my surprise, it came back as "ACCEPTED"...

And here's what we got:

An extremely spacious SUITE at the Doubletree Cambridge

http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=BOSSBDT

This link looks like the actual room...or part of it:

http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/photo_gallery.jhtml?ctyhocn=BOSSBDT&category=0

433 square feet...Two rooms with windows in both (which worked out great for my wife and I with our 22 year old daughter in the other room)...The hotel was absolutely beautiful and loaded with amenities...Plus great views of the river...

...at $60 a night for three nights!!

Without that Priceline bid, we would have paid more than that per day at some small local motel to be crowded into one room...

I booked a pre and post cruise hotel in Boston through Priceline last Sept.

Pre-cruise I bid Airport location 4 star since we were flying in after 6 PM. Got the Hyatt Regency Airport for $75 night. Requested a downtown view and got it. Fabulous hotel. Took a water taxi to Black Falcon next morning.

Post-cruise I bid Downtown location 4 star and got the Hyatt Regency Financial for $79. Also a fabulous hotel and the nicest bed I've slept in in a long time. We walked the entire Freedom Trail from this hotel and while really pooped when we got back, I liked the location and it was just a very short taxi ride from Black Falcon and not too far to the airport the next day albeit the next day was a Sunday.

Good luck bidding.

For something a little smaller and more quaint, try "the Elliot" or it might be "Eliot". We stayed there 2 years ago before we went on a New England/Canada trip. It was just beautiful, on a quite corner, walking distance to restaurants, etc.

However it was pricy,, kind of a boutique Hotel, but historic

I went to Hotwire and noticed the new Westin Boston Waterfront for about $219 per night. I thought i should go to the website and see what the real price is---and the Westin site had a web-only rate of $219. They also had a very nice suite for $900. Then I played around with the site a bit more and found a special for $169 per night. Not as cheap as Priceline--but a good solid hotel with Heavenly Beds and most Westins have great service. Looks nice--the hotel opened in June 2006.

Rick

Oly 10 minutes if you hit no traffic coming out of the tunnel and then no traffic heading over to Copley. It takes me by cab from the hotel to the pier (park my car there) about 20 minutes or so due to traffic. Would say 20 minutes from airport to hotel , maybe 30 if heavy traffic.

I would say that the Westin is also the closest to the port as it is the newest hotel and connection to our convention center. Not sure what the rates are but if they are booked try the seaport, which is just as close to the terminal for the cruise.

Enjoy Boston. I will look for your boat as I commute home by boat every day and watch the ships come in and leave.

..stirred by this thread...as we took the Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise out of Boston LAST year (some of the wonderful friends we met are going again Oct

31 coming up).

Anyway, the hotel discussion reminds me of how incredibly fortunate we were to stay right on the Boston Gardens in the venerable original Ritz

Carlton for .....48 dollars a nite (we stayed two nites before the cruise).

On line we were alerted by fellow cruisers that Expedia, while listing all of the Ritz's other room categories at the usual 400 plus per nite rate...the

"Garden View" category was listed at 48 dollars. An obvious mistake, or

secret "super special"..anyway about twenty of us jumped on it, and expedia

honored it.

We enjoyed elegant luxury and service and WONDERFUL bed and view of the

Gardens.....for about the price of a Motel 6 during high season here in Nebraska.

Indeed, our bill at the bar (unpretentiously and simply named "The Bar")

with two cosmopolitans each..was higher than one nite's lodging.

Add to that, October 30th and 31st (we sailed Nov 1 05) were uncommonly

beautiful..sunny and 70, when it had been miserably wet and cold for two weeks prior to our arrival..so we were able to do the wonderfully touristy

"Freedom Trail" by foot....knowing we had such a nice place to go back

to.

We fell in love with Boston, and hope to be back..knowing we may have to

set our sights lower on the lodging scene, while paying a lot more..but..

THANKS Expedia for the great time!!

Could lighting strike twice?....go ahead check the Ritz Carlton (original garden

location) on Expedia..maybe they'll have another great price!!!

Mitch

P.S. Oh yes..the Jewel of the Seas and the 12 day cruise were INCREDIBLE..

check my cruise critic review.

mtchg

Anyway, the hotel discussion reminds me of how incredibly fortunate we were to stay right on the Boston Gardens in the venerable original Ritz

Carlton for .....48 dollars a nite (we stayed two nites before the cruise).

On line we were alerted by fellow cruisers that Expedia, while listing all of the Ritz's other room categories at the usual 400 plus per nite rate...the

"Garden View" category was listed at 48 dollars. An obvious mistake, or

secret "super special"..anyway about twenty of us jumped on it, and expedia

honored it.

We enjoyed elegant luxury and service and WONDERFUL bed and view of the

Gardens.....for about the price of a Motel 6 during high season here in Nebraska.

Indeed, our bill at the bar (unpretentiously and simply named "The Bar")

with two cosmopolitans each..was higher than one nite's lodging.

Mitch.

mtchg

What a fantastic deal. You were exceptionally lucky to snag it when you did. It is a shame that there are now stories that the Ritz is slated to be sold and that the only Ritz in Boston will be the new one near the Boston Common. The original Ritz Carlton has so much history and is an elegant reminder of a Boston that no longer exists. I am sure that another quality hotel operator will eventually take over, but it will never be the same.:(

Archived