Just off Mariner! Sept 17-24th

JanineM

We just arrived home from our Eastern Caribbean cruise on Mariner. That self-departure is the only way to go for those of us who live in the vicinity! Met a bunch of the Cruise Critic group and everyone seemed to have a terrific time.

There were some slightly rough seas, but otherwise the weather was perfect ... no rain, few clouds (except for yesterday), hot and humid!

Any questions? I'm happy to try to answer!

Going on Mariner in less than a month, second time aboard her this year, so was wondering what the shows were. If you can tell me the 2 production shows and any of the preformers for the other nights. I would guess the ice show would be the same. Thanks.

Here is a list of the shows:

SUNDAY: Welcome Aboard Show

- John Wing (Comedian) - he was pretty funny. He also did a late nite adult show on Monday

- Kristian Kristoff - Juggler - he's a pretty entertaining juggler.

- RC Singers & Dancers

MONDAY: 1st Formal Night

- Judy Kolba - singer & comedian - she isn't exactly a great singer, but she is very entertaining. She talked more than she sang, and her stories were pretty bawdy - but funny.

TUESDAY:

Front Row featuring the RC Singers & Dancers: they're okay. One of the singers is pretty good, but generally we thought this was one of the weaker performances.

WEDNESDAY:

Ice Under the Big Top: It sounded like this was the last week for this particular ice show, and they would be putting on a different show beginning next week. The skaters do a fabulous job ... not to be missed!

THURSDAY: Headliner Showtime

Hal Frazier: He's billed as a singer, but he probably talked more than he sang. He has a beautiful voice, and sounded almost exactly like Nat King Cole.

FRIDAY:

Pure Energy - RC Singers & Dancers - we skipped this one

SATURDAY: Farewell Show

There was a comedian (can't find the cruise compass), and he was okay. Some people found him funny.

Kristian Kristoff also did another juggling routine and it was good.

Hope this helps! And have a great cruise!

Wow! It is Sunday morning 9am central time. You have already disembarked the ship, driven home, and made a post. Must have been an easy disembarkation. Hope that you had a great time. We have sailed Mariner twice. Both times were fantastic. It is our favorite ship.

Wow! It is Sunday morning 9am central time. You have already disembarked the ship, driven home, and made a post. Must have been an easy disembarkation. Hope that you had a great time. We have sailed Mariner twice. Both times were fantastic. It is our favorite ship.

We live about 15 miles from the Port. Last time we sailed (in March), we waited patiently for our colour to be called ... and waited ... and waited. We weren't called until 10:30 am. This time we decided to do the self-disembarkation. If you can roll your luggage off, that is the way to go! The people at the Port insist that you must be able to carry your suitcase down the escalator (can't even set a case on the steps of the escalator), so those who couldn't carry their cases had a long wait for an elevator.

This was our second time on Mariner, and yes, she is a lovely ship!

So glad to hear you had a good cruise...we are going on the Mariner for the first time on 10/29...can't wait!

What is the "self-departure"? We live in Ormond Beach, so it is such an easy drive for us yaaa! We are in cabin # 7228...do you know anything about the cabin, deck, location (starboard forward)? Thanks!

So glad to hear you had a good cruise...we are going on the Mariner for the first time on 10/29...can't wait!

What is the "self-departure"? We live in Ormond Beach, so it is such an easy drive for us yaaa! We are in cabin # 7228...do you know anything about the cabin, deck, location (starboard forward)? Thanks!

Normally, you are assigned a departure colour based on the time that you have to be off the ship. Your luggage is picked up on Saturday night and delivered to the baggage hold at specific times. The first colours go to those with earlier flights or excursions to the Space Center. For our first cruise we completed the departure questionnaire and indicated that we live in the area and had no need for a specific departure time. So we stood on that deck until 10:30 am! You have to be out of the cabin by 8 am, and the restaurants close at 9 am, so it is pretty boring to be standing around for hours.

Instead, you can choose to do self-departure. In that case, you keep your luggage in the cabin on Saturday night, then beginning at about 7:30 am, you can carry your stuff off yourself and go right through Customs. We had two big rollaboards, a garment bag, a carry on, a box of liquor and my purse - and that was manageable. You have to walk off the gangplank, then through the Port Authority building, and then through Customs. But it is so much faster for those of us who can hop in the car and be home (and doing laundry) in minutes!

I don't know anything specifically about your cabin. Most of the cabins are fairly similar with bed(s), a vanity, a sofa or loveseat and the small but well appointed bathroom. Perhaps others will have more info.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time!!!

I have heard that you must be able to carry your luggage down the escalator...sounds like that was not true in your case! Thanks for the info!

Actually, that is true. You do need to be able to "carry" the luggage. We both had huge rollaboards, but they were light enough that we could hold them up for the 1 minute needed to go down the escalator. There were two slight young women ahead of us and they could just barely hold their bags above the ground, so they were sent to the elevator. You can roll everywhere, except on two escalators. There might be a few minute wait for the elevator, but it's certainly less than waiting for your colour to be called. Who knows why they have that rule ... seemed crazy to me!

We will be on next week. Who was/is the capt. & CD?

Hope Hal Frazier is still there...haven't seen him in a while.

Captain Johnny Faevelen is still onboard. He was on vacation this summer, so I think he will be around for a few months.

CD was Kirk Detweiler.

Hope you get a chance to see Hal again! It sounded like he had flown in to St. Thomas the day before, and then he must have stayed with the ship through to Port Canaveral.

Thanks Waterbaby,

Glad to hear Capt. Johnny will be there--haven't had him in 10 years since a Sovereign cruise. Last Mariner cruise we had Tor Olsen. Never have had Kirk D. as CD--what did you think of him?

Hal Frazier has been around a really long time but most recently seemed to be on the smaller, older ships. He DOES sound just like Nat King Cole.

We are leaving on Sunday for the Eastern itinerary. Are there still 2 ice shows? Which nights are they and at what times?

Wasn't there an Italian night in the dining room? What were the other themes? I'm trying to decide which night would be best for Chops.

Gald you had a good cruise! Thanks.

Thanks Waterbaby,

Glad to hear Capt. Johnny will be there--haven't had him in 10 years since a Sovereign cruise. Last Mariner cruise we had Tor Olsen. Never have had Kirk D. as CD--what did you think of him?

Hal Frazier has been around a really long time but most recently seemed to be on the smaller, older ships. He DOES sound just like Nat King Cole.

Kirk reminded me a lot of a head cheerleader. He seemed to be everywhere, and he was absolutely the center of attention. We're not really the cheerleading types, so sometimes his enthusiasm was lost on us. That said, there are a lot of people who really enjoyed his jokes, emceeing and singing.

We were on Mariner in March when James was the CD. It seemed like there were a lot more activities this cruise, and I suspect that is all Kirk's doing. In addition to the dance classes and scrapbooking, there was Karaoke with a live band, different pool activities, the C&A wine tasting, more aerobics classes (one taught by Kirk), etc., etc. So although the "how YOU doin" got old for us, we did enjoy all the extra activities.

We are leaving on Sunday for the Eastern itinerary. Are there still 2 ice shows? Which nights are they and at what times?

Wasn't there an Italian night in the dining room? What were the other themes? I'm trying to decide which night would be best for Chops.

Gald you had a good cruise! Thanks.

There was one ice show, with two performances on Wednesday, and two on Friday. But from what I understand, the show is changing next week ... I am guessing that they will not do Ice Under The Big Top, and will have a different ice show instead.

I think Italian Night was Wednesday - but the days kind of blur together. When we got on board last Sunday, we went right to Chops to make our reservation. We specifically asked for Lobster Night (I'm allergic), and the host at Chops knew exactly which night was which in the dining room. So my suggestion is to go up to the restaurant on Sunday afternoon, ask for their input, then make your reservation.

You will have a wonderful time! Hope you have good weather.

We're going on Mariner next week--are there any Krooze Comics on there? There was a pair last year on Explorer, so wondering if they were back on Mariner?

Thanks

I don't recall seeing anything about "Krooze Comics" on this cruise or our previous one on Mariner. There were comics, but they didn't have that particular name.

Here is a list of the shows:

SUNDAY: Welcome Aboard Show

- John Wing (Comedian) - he was pretty funny. He also did a late nite adult show on Monday

- Kristian Kristoff - Juggler - he's a pretty entertaining juggler.

- RC Singers & Dancers

MONDAY: 1st Formal Night

- Judy Kolba - singer & comedian - she isn't exactly a great singer, but she is very entertaining. She talked more than she sang, and her stories were pretty bawdy - but funny.

TUESDAY:

Front Row featuring the RC Singers & Dancers: they're okay. One of the singers is pretty good, but generally we thought this was one of the weaker performances.

WEDNESDAY:

Ice Under the Big Top: It sounded like this was the last week for this particular ice show, and they would be putting on a different show beginning next week. The skaters do a fabulous job ... not to be missed!

THURSDAY: Headliner Showtime

Hal Frazier: He's billed as a singer, but he probably talked more than he sang. He has a beautiful voice, and sounded almost exactly like Nat King Cole.

FRIDAY:

Pure Energy - RC Singers & Dancers - we skipped this one

SATURDAY: Farewell Show

There was a comedian (can't find the cruise compass), and he was okay. Some people found him funny.

Kristian Kristoff also did another juggling routine and it was good.

Hope this helps! And have a great cruise!

Are any of the comedy shows appropriate for families? We have two children, ages 9 and 12, who'd probably love to go, but I don't want to take them to something that isn't age-appropriate.

We will be on the Mariner Nov. 12th and looking forward to our first balcony. How was the food in the dining room?

Food is so subjective that I hesitate to comment much. I always really like the food in the Dining Room, but DH - who is more of a gourmet - is often a bit disappointed. We both thought that the quality and choice had improved since our last cruise in March. The only complaint DH had was that the lamb was a bit tough one night.

The chef came by our table every evening and asked how everything was. This was a first for us, and we saw the chef six more times than we saw our head waiter. I got the impression that they were trying to improve the food and were willing to listen to suggestions.

The food in Chops was excellent.

Archived